SPACE STATIONS! Post your pictures here

tsunam1

Hi guys, I just finished my space station: KSS Daring.

Parts Count: 421

Total Mass: 287t

Altitude: 400,000m

Inclination: 15 Degrees

Crew: 107

Design: Five Habitation modules form a central spine. Modular construction. From left to right, top to bottom modules are: Chemistry Module, Power Module, Power Module, Fuel and Gas Module, Physics Module, Biology Module, Communications Module, and Greenhouse Module.

Mission: Long Term Planetary Monitoring and sciences including; long term zero G effects on Kerbal kind (biology), detection of gravity waves (physics), and study of interstellar clouds via spectroscopy (chemistry).

The station is designed with long term self sufficiency and expandability goals. Greenhouse module provides food and oxygen and power modules provide electrical power via solar panels.

-snip-

-snip-

-snip-

-snip-

Whapffta WHAT?! *Cue not so villainous version of the Villainous Breakdown*

My little space station at low Kerbin orbit with a fuel module and a little spaceplane attached to it:

xha7.png

It may seem minimalistic but it has got everything needed for a space station:

1.Solar panels - because if your ship doesn't have any solar panels then it can't be called a space station.

2.Some room for the crew, 5 kerrbals max.

3.Some fuel to occasionally refuel not very big ships. I'm used to deliver fuel to huge ships, not otherwise.

4.Enough docking ports to dock almost anything to it

I tried to put as few parts to the core element as possible to make bigger part count margin for other modules. I used this station a few times to refuel my spaceplanes. I see no reason to build a huge space station because low FPS rate is very annoying and really what's the use of it if it only stays there and does nothing.

I built my large space station mainly for fun. Not for function. Thats why i moved it to 250km after i built it. I dont see my self docking with it for refueling reasons. For that i have my Freelancer Advanced Train cruising in low kerban orbit.

I just launched my 1st.

On the pad.

KSS-2.jpg~original

Final separation.

KSS-9.jpg~original

In orbit at 125km

KSS-13.jpg~original

A close up in the VAB.

KSS-14.jpg~original

Of note of this design is the use of smaller RCS and fuel tanks to allow for in game balancing without a mod. I also used small fuel tanks on docking ports to drain the outer fuel tanks for launch fuel. This eliminates the stubs of the fuel lines staying on the station.

Working on this right now, I'm using it mainly to train on rendezvous and docking. Might also be used for refuel depot later.

rGCUeFj.png

EDIT: Docked my first SSTO, was easier than I anticipated.

LAX0XBT.jpg

Edited by AIux

OSSaIPS

Orbital Space Stationd and InterPlanetair Ship

screenshot0.png

At first it was intended as an interplanetair ship, but that didn't work out because of some flaws in the design. The tanks on the side start wobbling to much and the whole thing is way to big and heavy.

But I still use it as a refuelling station for other ships, so it wasn't entirely pointless.

Korolyov-2LQ-3.png

They're greenhouse modules.

Was playing around with these last week. They're meant for the Ioncross Crew Support Plugin and they behave weirdly for me without the mod installed, draining power from whatever I add them to. Does anyone have a version that has the Ioncross stuff removed?

Edited by Narcosis

Was playing around with these last week. They're meant for the Ioncross Crew Support Plugin and they behave weirdly for me without the mod installed, draining power from whatever I add them to. Does anyone have a version that has the Ioncross stuff removed?

I'm sure it's a short config edit away.

I'll look into it because I want them in both my hard mode KSP and my non-hard mode KSP.

:0.0: Thats the biggest thing i have ever seen! What kind of frame rate did you get at launch?

I didn't check the actual frame rate, maybe 1/2 a frame a second if I had to guess. Parts count in the VAB is 2497 with 48 of that launch clamps. I did pause a couple of times but it took 3 hours real time to fly to orbit. It also has to be hand flown, no Jeb, no SAS. It is probably over strutted, but as long as it takes to load things in this part count range, I prefer to go for the "no surprises" approach.

I imagine it was a real struggle to dock all those modules in such a way they all dock.
Actually, as I admitted in another thread, the far corner in that picture doesn't actually connect. I hoped if I got them close the docking magnetism would draw them into place, but it's not quite strong enough. To fix it, I'd have to half-disassemble the station and just hope that things line up better on another attempt. I may go back and do that, but I'm burned out on building stations right now because that's all I've done so far in 21. But I think it looks pretty spiffy, if I do say so myself.

Actually, as I admitted in another thread, the far corner in that picture doesn't actually connect. I hoped if I got them close the docking magnetism would draw them into place, but it's not quite strong enough. To fix it, I'd have to half-disassemble the station and just hope that things line up better on another attempt. I may go back and do that, but I'm burned out on building stations right now because that's all I've done so far in 21. But I think it looks pretty spiffy, if I do say so myself.

Have you tried giving the area that won't dock a little nudge with another ship?