SPACE STATIONS! Post your pictures here

tsunam1

So here's my attempt at an ultra-low orbit Mun observation station so I could spot easter eggs easier on the surface around the equator. Once I finish stabilizing its orbit I'll eject that transfer stage at the back freeing up the docking port for other ships to dock on to it.

nFP6UrS.png

MwQM81x.png

So here's my attempt at an ultra-low orbit Mun observation station so I could spot easter eggs easier on the surface around the equator. Once I finish stabilizing its orbit I'll eject that transfer stage at the back freeing up the docking port for other ships to dock on to it.

nFP6UrS.png

MwQM81x.png

Don't be surprised if the kraken eats it the next time you timewarp

Don't be surprised if the kraken eats it the next time you timewarp

It's orbiting so low that the game isn't even allowing me to timewarp it past 1x speed. The only issue with this station as I've found out for myself twice before is if it hits a mountain while orbiting.

It's orbiting so low that the game isn't even allowing me to timewarp it past 1x speed. The only issue with this station as I've found out for myself twice before is if it hits a mountain while orbiting.

Didn't know there were such high mountains on the Mun...

My seventh (like Babylon 5, the first six were all failures) attempt at a Kethane refueling station finally proved useful. It's in a standard equatorial orbit around Minmus where my main kethane mining operations are.

screenshot31_zps22947382.png

screenshot88_zpsfa76d4e7.png

This second one is more accurate of the final vision, with a large (2.5m) docking port on the kethane end (with all the solar panels) and a four-way standard docking node on the truss end (sorry it got cut off). The ship approaching is my more recent, more efficient version of a mining dropship, which can hold 32k (tons?) of kethane gas.

Ah, but you can warp when you have another ship selected, and that can, in my experience, cause the kraken to swallow ultra low orbit ships whole.

Didn't know there were such high mountains on the Mun...

There's not, but he's just THAT low.

I think the highest munar peaks are somewhere between 2km and 3km. Minmus reaches as high as 5-8km.

Updated progress on the Icarus III construction site.

Added the engineering/propulsion module to the structure and the signature giant heat shield is mounted and locked down on the nose. Started setting up: A craft with the flight crew is standing by in a lower orbit, quantum struts are being deployed, and the science/habitation module is currently under construction.

GyBgdkj.png

Doing a test deployment of the heat shield.

BtfHRPx.jpg

Updated progress on the Icarus III construction site.

Added the engineering/propulsion module to the structure and the signature giant heat shield is mounted and locked down on the nose. Started setting up: A craft with the flight crew is standing by in a lower orbit, quantum struts are being deployed, and the science/habitation module is currently under construction.

GyBgdkj.png

Doing a test deployment of the heat shield.

BtfHRPx.jpg

How did you make that heat shield? That's beyond awesome!

My new O.A.S.I.S. service lifter performing a de-orbit burn after delivering the Kerbin O.A.S.I.S. Station Core.

2013_05_30_00023.jpg

The new Rock-o-max Assemblatron tug delivering the first fuel core to O.A.S.I.S.

2013_05_31_00004.jpg

Rendezvous 1 Complete. 26 to go.

2013_05_31_00006.jpg

(To be continued...)

My new O.A.S.I.S. service lifter performing a de-orbit burn after delivering the Kerbin O.A.S.I.S. Station Core.

2013_05_30_00023.jpg

The new Rock-o-max Assemblatron tug delivering the first fuel core to O.A.S.I.S.

2013_05_31_00004.jpg

Rendezvous 1 Complete. 26 to go.

2013_05_31_00006.jpg

(To be continued...)

Do you plan to use any standard docking ports, or is this only for big ships?

Do you plan to use any standard docking ports, or is this only for big ships?

It will have capability to dock between 12 and 24 small ships at standard docking ports, and 8-16 at jr docking ports (if they're small enough) when completed, however most of these spaces will be reserved for spare modules for the ships being serviced there. The station itself will be held together entirely by the large docking ports, since it adds extra strength and rigidity without requiring a lot of struts or bracers, keeping the part count down. (the core node has struts because it needs to offload spin torque to the rest of the station, and being more solid will keep it reliable and reduce wobble)

Keep watching the thread in the coming days/weeks and I'll be uploading more pictures of the construction as the station takes shape.

Since I start all over with every major update I currently have only one station in orbit.

screenshot18.png

Apart from the large radio dish it can also serve as a refueling station. All tanks are full, it holds roughly 11000 Fuel, 13500 oxidizer and almost 3000 monoprop.

At the moment there are 5 out of 6 Kerbals aboard. The shuttle can carry 8 so they can all get home safely in case of emergency.

Copied directly from The Icarus Project thread. My creation, the Icarus III, is finished.

This was so nerve-wracking and laggy... But it's done.

yj7cyHP.png

CFw7sJG.jpg

VVOsbia.jpg

usZK4Jv.png

Weighing in at roughly 150 tons and made of roughly 650 parts, the Icarus III can carry up to 20 Kerbals.

Its fuel levels include:

Electric charge - 46710

Monopropellant - 6976

Liquid fuel - 1350

Oxidizer - 1430

Xenon gas - 52000

Also carries 5 additional docking ports, a winch with full sets of dismountable connectors and various hooks, a vast complex of sensors including two MapSat dishes and a full Lazor system, and a full heatshield/heatsink array for the journey to the surface of Kerbol. No giant stellar bomb, though. :( oh well.

New, from Paradigm Industries, a brand-spankin-new* orbital fuel depot! Following the trend of using standard Greek-alphabet naming conventions, the Utility Station Gamma is fully stocked for supporting missions to the Mun, Minimus, and beyond!

FFLeo9H.jpg

What appears to be an elaborate space-gatling-gun is actually a cluster of atomic rocket motors, aimed harmlessly** into outer space. These rocket motors allow the station to be positioned anywhere in Kerbin's sphere of influence, and quite possibly other nearby celestial bodies as well when fully fueled. Drone tankers (not pictured) supply the station with all the rocket fuel its crew can drink***. Should a mission deplete the station's fuel reserves, the two "Big Ornj's" docked to the sides of the station can be removed and de-orbited using leftover fumes and RCS. New, full tanks can be sent from Kerbin on their own dedicated non-reusable launch vehicles.

iD4JsUE.jpg

For long-term missions, Gamma can support a crew of 15 Kerbals in three Hitchhiker modules and three "Panoptican" cupolas. For best results, orient the station anti-Kerbol at sunrise to prevent cases of flash-blindness. (Paradigm Industries is not responsible for incidents of flash-blindness as a result of improper station orientation.)

YMU0Gpw.jpg

Reproduction schematics are currently being processed by our exports division.

* Based on the Temstar Olympus Propellant Depot. Prototypes constructed in early .19. We have fired the marketing editor who approved the use of the word 'new' twice in one sentence. Okay, fine, it was completely stolen from Temstar, we just took some greebles off and stuck it on the end of a command hub.

** Significant radiation is emitted from the engine cluster both while active and inactive. Do not EVA behind engine cluster.

*** Do not drink rocket fuel under any circumstances. Ever.

"Big Ornj" is a name Jenzor came up with, and is not a trademark of Paradigm Industries.

"Panoptican" may be mistranslated. This trademark formerly held by KSPX is now public domain. Please don't sue our pants off.