SPACE STATIONS! Post your pictures here

tsunam1

Well I am "new" again to KSP. Have to re-learn everything. Took me 3 days and tons of addons/trial and error, espacially fixing my builds with KAS/KIS (adding clamp-o Tron etc).

But here is my new Space Station with Greenhouse (yeah, using TC-LS Mod), lots of container which contains tools, parts etc.

Next step is to re-arrange the Solar Panels which clip into other parts of the station. And add some more station parts (I have 3 more Senior Docking Ports, the small ones are only for ships). I want that super huge rotating station part :D

I just need to figure how to control the station. How to make it stable. I don't think RCS is the solution. But I have no idea where to put the SAS Modules.

f71MNOf.jpg

M4j5NvX.jpg

cwKEMjq.jpg

8OeysCV.jpg

0XMqGk2.jpg

Edited by Duke-49th

Hey everyone, this is my first post on this forum, though this thread has been a great source of inspiration to me for some time.

I'd like to show you guys my first station in orbit around the Mun, obviously heavily inspired by NASA's Gateway. This is in career mode btw, with about 60% of the Tech Tree unlocked.

NAuM420.jpg

ciWAyRp.jpg

Ytor2VR.jpg

It's currently in an 100km equatorial orbit and consists of a docking module, a service module with science experiments and storage, a command/hab module, a science module and a propulsion module. So technically not a station since it can move. You can see two utility spacecraft docked to the station which helped constructing it. They are 'creatively' named Dragons, and one of them delivered three Kerbals to the station recently. :D

Mods used:

• Habtech 2
  • Stockalike Station Parts Redux
  • SSTU
  • Near Future Spacecraft
  • Near Future Electrical
  • Surface Mounted Lights

Looking forward to seeing more designs in here!

This little guy's going to Jool: BAK deep-space station Alexei Leonov.

1LFITsd.png

Modules in the picture:

Top -- TANTOR-V, the ore miner / tanker that will supply the station from Vall.

Below -- ISRU and fuel reserve. It's fully controlled with action groups and has neat indicator lights that light up the radiator panels depending on what it's doing (white = Lf+Ox, amber = monoprop, red = Lf, green = Ox). It's powered by fuel cells in the Mk 2 utility bay, because ... well, it's going to Jool. The chief engineers' and pilots' habitation module are below the fuel tank.

Centre -- Station hub, providing access to all of the modules. It contains a Mk 1 command pod, a set of reaction wheels, and a set of RTGs for base operating power.

Left -- Command module with a view to the docking module, 100G relay dish. Next to it is the station commander's and scientists' habitation module. 

Right -- Science module. MPL, science pack, orbital resource scanner. The latter will be used to scan Vall for a suitable mining spot.

Bottom -- Dock module, with Vall lander docked to it. It has two standard-size docking ports with generous clearance, and three Jrs. It is floodlit from the command and science modules for easier nighttime manoeuvres.

Undocked, right -- Minnow SSTO. She's going to Laythe.

Undocked, left -- Orca deep-space tug and crew return module, with habitation space for four. She will dock with Minnow and the pair will fly to Jool together, but separately from Alexei Leonov.

• 2 weeks later...

https://imgur.com/a/GlKdePe

The rings are currently spinning in the screenshot. 

It has a massive solar array with batteries and RTG's.

The 2 spinning rings spin in opposite directions to maintain angular equilibrium.

It has a massive fuel storage segment capable of storing 42,480 units liquid fuel + oxidizer.

Attached to the fuel segment are 3 quad adapters for expansion in different directions as well as 2 processing labs. 

The plan is to add an asteroid mining setup so that the tanks will remain full. Then for future interplanetary missions, the interplanetary ship can be launched with no fuel in it and then can be refueled in orbit for a more efficient launch.

Launched in 2 launches so far.

Edited by ski23

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

0khfQCS9TYH0TCohI4lXfyGxu2qrWVyvgO6Kgk38NRq5uSYs0TF9vnmBhm1Lq1u2uJmuyzU2isz-3tSy2e_fjkRcqhpOBno-JU--f4ZdI4v2EA9ZqQt7EXhb-inJ6lYgb7DWaxqK

This is my first space station station over Kerbin. It has 1 science module, 1 cupola, 2 solar arrays, and 2 mk 3s with an escape pod. I tried docking an orange fuel tank but ran out of RCS thrust, so the station will most likely stay in its current form.

On 9/29/2012 at 4:49 AM, jamieadd said:

yeah im no expert but i think you might wanna refrain from calling it an "SS"

no reason behind it

• 2 weeks later...

Unity Station! Just on the launchpad for showoff purposes until I assembled it in Orbit :/

BaRNIbi.png

Edit: I just realized the lower solar panel rings have 8 instead of 4 each. Talk about overengineering.

Edited by Chakkoty

• 3 weeks later...

Here is my first ever station ! I made it in career mode and in only one launch (and also because that's my first station) , that's why it is so small .

1577956215-1.jpg

I love symmetry , it is an obsession and here is what I found after all I have done :

1577956324-2.jpg

:0.0::0.0::0.0::0.0::0.0::0.0::0.0::0.0::0.0::0.0:

I FORGOT ONE SOLAR PANEL (OR PUT AN EXTRA ONE)

(PS:I just found out that I forgot TWO SOLAR PANELS!!!!!;.;)

Edited by Hdeedose

I've launched a big thing at a 800KM Kerbin orbit. Took me eleven launches in total, but was worth 1.2 million Kerbucks in Contract money (investor wanted a space hotel for 50 people, they now have one).

tOmcwKH.jpg

The part count in high (669), but that's because I added a lot of surface mounted lights, for a colorful space experience (who does not like light anyway). It should be self sustainable at full capacity, as long as there's enough photons coming from Kerbol that is, I'll work on a nuclear version when investors will ask for a second one.

That's the biggest thing I ever built in KSP to date. And its shiny. And the suites rotates (thanks to a KAL-9000 in the service bay, and 4 servos hidden each of the suites clamps).But now I can build others quickly, since I have all the sub assemblies needed.

Mods includes (for the one needed to build that at least):

- ReStock and ReStock+

- Surface Mounted Lights

- Snacks (hence the need for hydroponics)

- Stockalike Station Part (for aforementioned hydroponics and better looking station parts).

So a big thanks to all the mods autjors (those ones, and all the other one I can't run on my laptop without setting it on fire)

Craft on KerbalX: https://kerbalx.com/okhin/MD-Vioffy-Ulyus

(Ok, the part list in Kerbal-X is a bit scary, 120 solar panels. 60 batteries. 227 omni-lights.)

Edited by Okhin
Complemetary information

@septemberWaves Yep, I do have the mod (I got all the Near Future Tech by @Nertea). But i did not unlock the tech yet :D I mean, even with stock, the Gigantor XL would have greatly reduced the part count. I just need to science things more. ANd this station with basically don't bring me any science (but I have small labs around Mun and Minmus that I need to focus and extend now).

This project started when I got a contract to build a space station around Jool "into" a class-D asteroid. In contrast to KSPs ability to have surface outposts sink into the ground, building intentionally into an asteroid is beyond even the capabilities of the engineers at AHTech Industries.

Spoiler

An abandoned surface outpost on Ike. After being left alone for a few years it looked like that:

tfEy6Ie.pngzq3bITc.png

So the decision was made to build the station around the asteroid. Because I'm quite flush with funds in my current career save I decided to add all the bells and whistles I could come up with for a station:

• plenty of capacity for fuel and ore - This is the main practical value of my stations after all.
  • ore processing capability
  • enough electricity generating capacity to run at least one ISRU unit around Jool - From solar panels and RTGs.
  • big counter-rotating gravity rings - So that I can station lots of crew in the Joolian system without having to worry that they go crazy or too weak to work in gravity.
  • a copious number of docking ports of all sizes - What use is a station that you cannot dock to?
  • having the asteroid integrated into the station so that the Kerbals can view it from their living quarters - Being far away from home you need something to keep you motivated.
  • all the other stuff that a self-respecting space station needs - labs, non-rotating crew quarters (err... zero-gravity gyms), relay dishes, propulsion to get into position

The result is the Nauvoo Asteroid Station. Unfortunately it is still too small to house a class-D asteroid, but it can house a mid-sized class-C one.

tSujsag.png

I was also lucky to find a suitable magic asteroid that fits inside. My first idea when I saw the completed station was to call it the Behemoth, but this name sounded too militaristic so I decided to name it the Nauvoo instead. (Yes, totally subtle reference here.;))

P.S. AHTech Industries does not endorse the following behavior:

Spoiler

Jeb was supposed to fly this to Jool. But what did he do? Land it on Minmus! And why? "Because I can." Yes, Jeb, I know you can, but is this a good reason to do this? I can also kill you by stuffing you into a cockpit without heatshield on an suborbital trajectory, or into a capsule that is too nose heavy to slow down enough to deploy its parachutes, or have you fly an aircraft so fast that it's cockpit explodes from overheating, or just fry you during reentry with just your spacesuit as protection, or or or. But do I do all these things? Oh... well... O.K....

jEoZXYr.png

Edited by AHHans
Added P.S.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ,

I already have shown my first station , here it is , bigger .

1579355077-sans-titre.jpg

The first time I connected the ring and the station , all the station started to move in dangerous angles , like it will finish to break (is it called kraken?) . But it didn't broke , because I reloaded the station just before the connection , and I did the connection again , much more slowly .

https://imgur.com/gallery/GH2b3LJ I've designed a few space stations, but I've rarely ever tried to make them. Most likely because I play KSP solely in career mode.

https://imgur.com/gallery/1pBE457 This was my first ever space station, and similar to my third one, it was launched by a single rocket. 

I haven't gotten enough experience in this game to put a permanent station in orbit of any celestial body outside of Kerbin's sphere of influence yet, though I have put a station into orbit of the sun and put a mothership/space station into orbit of Duna and got it back to Kerbin. I don't think the solar station counts, because they're just stuck there forever.

After so many trials and errors, not to mention countless minutes of using MJ planning the perfect maneuver nodes and hours of construction, I think I made history today.

jMAvsr1.png

• (Probably) the first ever ring station to orbit Moho.

And no, I didn't just use the "Set Orbit" command for this ring. I actually did the work.

Spoiler

Woc2NP9.png

• You think I'd be lying if I said I didn't put in any effort - and this is just my third prototype.
    • I changed the name and removed the MJ control so it could go on KerbalX
  • The first ascent stage has 16 SRBs (8 Clydesdales and 8 Thoroughbreds) and 8 Mammoth engines alone.
  • Don't forget the launch stability enhancers.

xPxtYZR.png

• T + 15 seconds after liftoff

KxJZno3.png

• Picture taken during the ascent, right before the first 8 SRBs detach
  • The last 8 will detach soon afterwards, then the station would establish a 175-km parking orbit.
    • And it has ~6,250 delta-V in LKO --> more than enough for Moho.

eHhYiNi.png

• Making my exit burn to Moho

From experience, I can tell you to NOT USE THE PHYSICS WARP.

jMAvsr1.png

• Finally, the moment of truth.

And here's some victory meme I made

ERpqpf2.png

CRAFT FILE HERE

(Please let me know how it works out for you).

https://imgur.com/a/CWnhXBo

This is the smallest, and one of my favorite space stations I've made yet. Its called MINST (minstation) and has room for 4 kerbals, but will only be used for 3. 

Left: Escape pod using the "Pomegranate" command pod. Since it can hold 3, the station will only hold 3.

Middle: Habitation modules with room for 3 kerbals plus some space to move around.

Right: Utility module with solar panels, batteries, relay dishes and an engine to move the station in the event of an emergency.

Bottom: Space telescope module with a small pressurized monitoring room.

Top: Science module, with little other purpose other than the free docking port and nice visuals.