SPACE STATIONS! Post your pictures here

tsunam1

I'm keeping it classic...

... so, my last station attempt is a more historical one (modded mostly from Tantares parts and TweakScale):

qXnSv1Q.png

MIR DOS-7 core module

SWCHJBc.png

Jeb and Bill volunteers to watch the construction

g8ET0O4.png

Kvant-1 delivered with the TKM-E space tug

TXelqN8.png

TKM-E space tug leaving the assembled Kvant-1 on the Core Module

... it's an ongoing project, so to keep it tracked go here:

MIR replica

Edited by Araym

Exactly. It's actually a little bit tricky getting a near-perfect alignment, which they probably needed to dock with Endurance at that point (and it's pretty much how that whole situation started, anyway), but you can get close enough for it to not matter in KSP; the docking magnetism takes over.

It's actually really fun to dock two rotating things together, and it looks cool as heck doing it; everyone should give it a whirl.

Get it? Give it a whirl? Anyone? Fine, I'll leave...

I just found this, and thought of you...

Rune. LOLing so hard right now... :D

How do you launch these into orbit?

http://i.imgur.com/jZuYr74.png

Ok, I do have some experience on this kind of thing. First, make sure you can either use the fuel on the tanks, or you empty them. Not so incredibly massive then. Second, build two stacks of boosters inside the rings. You have the room, can use symmetry around the central spine, and if you don't use separatrons for staging, they will clear them with a bit of care. And probably the most important stuff... strut to kingdom come, from the last stage before orbit. Otherwise you will lose your structural integrity when you stage.

The rest is just adding boosters like in any rocket (i.e make each stage mass a fraction of the ones "below") until KER spits out more than 4.5km/s.

Rune. So yeah, MOAR boosters.

International Space Station - Expedition 42-43 (plus a little SpaceX Dragon v2 docked to PMA-2)

Soyuz TMA-15M (Anton Shkaplerov, Samantha Cristoforetti and Terry Virts)

Soyuz TMA-16M (Gennadi Padalka, Michail Kornyienko and Scott Kelly)

Missing Progress spacecraft.

LiHVo7Q.jpg

RZKyCiG.jpg

w4BhkUe.png

QchIwdQ.png

Yi7YF0c.jpg

FaIr8Yn.png

GCNCXrm.jpg

cU52LjZ.pngCurrently constructed on 100km LKO, this enormous station serves as scientific, commercial and refuelling outpost on Low-Kerbin orbit. Currently is inhabited by 15 kerbals. Main power supply is a gas-core nuclear reactor, which can be seen in lower left section. The rest of the station is shielded by unfolded radiation shield, just behind heat radiators. Station has 4 gigantic BALKA solar arrays, which serve more like a backup energy source, if the reactor would stopped working. The station has also 2 inflatable centrifuges, providing crew artificial gravity to reduce bone-loss while in space.

Olympus Station in a 200km LKO. It is primarily a Science Station intended for research. I have a fuel tank still attached that gives it a secondary fuel depot use. It houses 2 large station labs, a mobile processing lab, a shanty habitat and can hold 18 Kerbals. It is powered by a Thermal Microwave receiver that gets its power from orbital reactors, and comes equipped with two Cyclotrons for orbital Kuarq experiments.

screenshot1137_zpsisw4x8ec.png

An SSTO ferries the experiment pods to the Station, where the Cyclotrons bombard them with Kuarqs and I return them to KSC for the science.

screenshot1144_zpsyo7twmwi.png

screenshot1131_zpsul4poxav.png

Edited by selrik

Updates on my MIR reply assembly:

2P5v99X.png

MIR as Sofora Mast's Thruster Pack - Sep., 1992 - and Rapana Mast were added - Sep., 1993

... I'm running to complete the whole assembly up to tomorrow sunday: I dubt that in KSP 1.0, from monday onward, I'll have all the mods used already upgraded.

This will be my last effort on 0.90 :D

(To follow as soon I update the status, link is on my sig :cool:)

Edited by Araym

My first station in 1.0, placed in low minmus orbit to research what color of sprinkles taste best on surface samples. Lander module collects science from the surface and brings it back up to the lab, easy science.

B0365EE7C8C42A75F98FE4F928D3ED66D522F46A

Kinda wish i had the forsight to put some more docking nodes on it, it cant really be expanded unless i replace the lander, but i want to use it for mining operations as well instead of launching a completely new (expensive) station.

Edited by nsgallup

Kinda wish i had the forsight to put some more docking nodes on it, it cant really be expanded unless i replace the lander, but i want to use it for mining operations as well instead of launching a completely new (expensive) station.

Can't you undock the lander and put something between that which has 3 ports, with two facing as needed to accomodate the 2 existing modules? Then the third port can be used for more modules. Just an idea, but perhaps I misunderstand what you mean.

Well, not a space station, but the foundation of my (vanilla) ground mining complex. Now sending out some VTOL tanks on wheels and starting to build my orbital station.

P.S. Can somebody tell me what are the inclination and height of the orbit I need to be on Minmus, so I will always hover over my base ?

Zl2pPPA.jpg

Should have used the other antenna(Comms DTS-M1), but I guess I can fix that with KIS ?

wxYDtn5.png

And this is my LKO station.

The Lab in the middle acts like hub with 6 ports.

The ship on the right was used to get science from Mun and Minmus and fill the lab, but now I am trying to find a purpose.

The Orange tanks need no explanation.

The big ship "Klaw-ed" to the tanks was used to rescue the 3 Kerbals (and the data) that landed on Ike, then got greedy and landed on Duna, then with the last drops of RCS managed to achieve Kerbin Orbit near the edge.

Now the data is in the lab, they refueled just enough to land safely.

The double claw tug is now used to complete contracts, where I have to bring Kerbals+Parts to Kerbin. Later maybe for moving asteroids.

Basically planning to ditch the craft on the right and leave only the lab and the fuel cluster.

Oh, yeah. There is also a rescue capsule in case something goes wrong and I have to evacuate the lonely scientist. Used to have engineer and a pilot there, but they landed a craft earlier.

FUs1sbK.png

Edited by Mapoko

Can't you undock the lander and put something between that which has 3 ports, with two facing as needed to accomodate the 2 existing modules? Then the third port can be used for more modules. Just an idea, but perhaps I misunderstand what you mean.

This is my new plan!