SPACE STATIONS! Post your pictures here

tsunam1

On 11/1/2016 at 6:53 AM, Captain Sierra said:

That looks massively overpowered (there's a word you don't see too often in the context of KSP), haphazardly assembled, unstable under rotation, and like every other station I've seen or buit that wasn't meticulously planned ahead of time.

I award you the totally pointless Kerbal Space Alliance Seal of Approval.

I think you put a bit to much solar panels on.  :D

hHBccna.png 

This was (and still is) my very first space station. Named, rather imaginatively, Pioneer Space Station (PSS). It's mainly a research station, like many real life space stations. I mined a lot of science with this. There are two science labs, as well as two habitation modules, with an observation deck in the form of the Cupola Module. Visible in the center of the station is the comms tower.

Later on, I added two escape pods, called the Emergency Crew Return Vehicle (ECRV), each capable of accommodating 3 crew members; enough for the regular crew complement of 6. They can be thought of as lifeboats. The ECRVs, as the name implies, are completely capable of reentry and are 100 percent powered by RCS. They're really just command pods with an RCS tank and thrusters attached to them, the same kind of command pod I use in many of my spacecraft.

Speaking of which, docked to the station is my LKO workhorse, Progress-1B, which I think resembles a Soyuz, on the far right of the station.

Not pictured are my TAC Life Support Systems Module and Electrical Systems Module. All stock besides the life support, Mechjeb, and the KIS container on the Progress-1B.  

Edited by SteelyEyedMissleMan

Promoblurb:

May I present to you the finest in orbital hub software, the spacious and capacious Kappa Station. If you call it hardware, you haven't felt the hull.

Conceived as the very first of the not-yet famous-modular project designs from MunarKore, it was the era before the fairing which inspired the patented bare-truss ekso-skeleton theme which remains at the present as a marginal bracing structure during launch, but is mostly just a recognizable visual gimmick for the sake of visitors on approach to the Kappa Wappa. 

Currently available models include an improvement of "duh" level obviousness by extending the longitudinal truss spans across the formerly bottleneckish attachment points of the pictured station, thus interconnecting the entire superstructure from end to end with the decidedly unambitious and nutritious Clamp-O-Tron Junior. Testing indicates this structural enhancement alone results in absolutely NO appreciable improvement in torsional rigidity but does successfully induce a clearance hazzard, not to mention an utterly inconceivable drop in the already paralytic frame rate surrounding this lag hag.

Kappa station still maintains a vague rae gae freshness in the eyes of most 90s kids though, due to the Multi-Colored Docking Indication Problem Prevention System (MCDIPPS). On the safety front she also sports a couple of ancient capsule based lifeboats which are themselves both volumetrically and thermodynamically inadequate. And I mean completely but, in order to compensate for that minor shortcoming you may notice the casual yet foreboding touch of micrometeorite shielding plates surrounding the habitat module. Like the rest of Kappa station, they serve no purpose and are as dysfunctional as they are heavy, but you never know what unfathomable terror might lurk inside the next silent and/or deadly update. At the very least your view will be completely ruined, and at most you'll be reminded of your own fragile and pathetic nature. 

On the plus side there's room for up to 24 permakerbs, and a few scattered cans and cupolas ensure that almost nothing important will be accomplished. Of course you have the requisite reaction wheels, monopushers and even some bi-directional ion "engines" allowing for some action packed, yet precise orbit keeping maneuvers which are optionally powered by various forms of deadly radiation. YAY! Also it sorta looks like a delicate snowflake from the top but is only slightly less durable.

So, obviously, if you're in the market for yet another wobbly intermodal monstrosity, this hub is for you!  Only $654,258,411,548.99 after three launches. Boosters and Science not included. Void where prodibided.

Edited by Munarkore

On January 24, 2016 at 10:38 PM, SteelyEyedMissleMan said:

hHBccna.png 

This was (and still is) my very first space station. Named, rather imaginatively, Pioneer Space Station (PSS). It's mainly a research station, like many real life space stations. I mined a lot of science with this. There are two science labs, as well as two habitation modules, with an observation deck in the form of the Cupola Module. Visible in the center of the station is the comms tower.

Later on, I added two escape pods, called the Emergency Crew Return Vehicle (ECRV), each capable of accommodating 3 crew members; enough for the regular crew complement of 6. They can be thought of as lifeboats. The ECRVs, as the name implies, are completely capable of reentry and are 100 percent powered by RCS. They're really just command pods with an RCS tank and thrusters attached to them, the same kind of command pod I use in many of my spacecraft.

Speaking of which, docked to the station is my LKO workhorse, Progress-1B, which I think resembles a Soyuz, on the far right of the station.

Not pictured are my TAC Life Support Systems Module and Electrical Systems Module. All stock besides the life support, Mechjeb, and the KIS container on the Progress-1B.  

Rich Purnell is a steely-eyed missle man.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys I’m new, but I wanted to share my first-ish space station. It’s not much, but I like it. It's rather small next to the super-cool stations I can see on the thread, I’m afraid.

file:///Users/ryan/Desktop/Screen%20Shot%202016-02-12%20at%204.54.00%20PM.png

I’m not entirely sure if the link works. :rolleyes:

9 hours ago, Mycroft said:

Hi guys I’m new, but I wanted to share my first-ish space station. It’s not much, but I like it. It's rather small next to the super-cool stations I can see on the thread, I’m afraid.

file:///Users/ryan/Desktop/Screen%20Shot%202016-02-12%20at%204.54.00%20PM.png

I’m not entirely sure if the link works. :rolleyes:

Nope. Upload it to http://imgur.com and then click Insert other media - Insert pic from URL here.

oh and btw the default key for KSP screenshots is f1.

On 2/13/2016 at 7:20 AM, Atlas2342 said:

It looks amazing :D. Might I ask, what mods did you use to build this? 

The skeletal truss segments are Near Future Construction. A few of the older ones have KWRocketry in them. THere's at least 1-2 other mods there I cant identify, and I think I see a bit of tweakscale usage in the second and third pics on the orion-like vehicle.

12 hours ago, Captain Sierra said:

The skeletal truss segments are Near Future Construction. A few of the older ones have KWRocketry in them. THere's at least 1-2 other mods there I cant identify, and I think I see a bit of tweakscale usage in the second and third pics on the orion-like vehicle.

this was easy to spot ^^, the older images has parts of "Spherical and Toroidal Tank Pack" and the greenhouse from a lifesupport mod.

Built in .9, this was my first space station!  Not the grandest, but I'm pretty proud :) It was called Atlas Station, and at a point actually worked in conjunction with another station by the name Scorpio around the Mun (Atlas was in LKO, of course).  Ships would fly from Kerbin to Atlas Station, rotating out Kerbals and delivering craft to Atlas that would then be taken by one of the MMM (Munar Messenger Modules) to Munar orbit, where they would dock with Scorpio station to refuel/pick up crew and descend to the surface (not necessarily in that order).  This was also how Scorpio Station was assembled.  Alas, I can't find any images of Scorpio Station right now. 

Screen Shot 2015-04-12 at 12.33.21 AM.png

At it's max, Atlas Station had 529 parts and a tonnage of 336.45.

Screen Shot 2015-04-12 at 6.00.22 PM.png

Not as good as a shot, but on the right end you can see one of the two MMM (Munar Messenger Module) docked to the station, with a craft awaiting a ride to the Mun docked to it.

Screen Shot 2015-04-11 at 6.45.11 PM.png

A MMM (left) transporting a MM (Munar Module) to Munar orbit, where it would then land, dock with Scorpio station and repeat.

Edited by Atlanticrash
Unclear phrase

33 minutes ago, Matuchkin said:

@Whackjob! I summon thee to arise from the depths and confines of tartarus, and to teach this young lad a lesson in how true rockets are made!

I normally wouldn't use only SRB's for the first stage, but it was part of the "hard" part of this challenge:

If I could properly set up docking encounters, which I can't for the life of me do that. Which is pathetic considering would have made it to the mun last night, completely by accident. I would have made it, I just missed my maneuver node, but it happened perfectly. On accident. :P. But I think I can do it again :). Anyway, I have some ideas for space stations. I just need experience in docking procedures.