SPACE STATIONS! Post your pictures here

tsunam1

My first space station for my current play-test campaign:

KSS Blue Viking
kss-blue-viking-03.jpg

The name was generated by Champagne Bottle mod.

Currently docked:
KSV Cosmic Hermes (left most)
Sat Carrier Mk1 (right most)

The MaterialKits containers are from UKS that are used to hold...MaterialKits from disassembled spaceship parts no longer used and leftover debris within Kerbin orbit. Disassembly is performed by the resident space station engineer.

Fuel Resupply Mk1 currently docked with space station:

kss-blue-viking-04.jpg

After a successful delivery of LFO and MP to the station, Routine Mission Manager MOD was used for succeeding refueling.

Mobile Collector Mk1 docked with space station:
kss-blue-viking-05.jpg

My first attempt at posting an album on the forums. I hope this is a worthy addition.

I give you Hari Seldon Station from my Kerbal Foundation save.

It's basically a space hotel and fuel stop. The only mod used I believe was procedural parts for the central fuel tanks and a Modular Rocket Systems 3.75m reaction wheel buried in the center. It is 106 parts and has capacity for 90 Kerbals.

Edited by HvP

I am playing KSP since 10 weeks. Here are some of my stations of my first career game.
I ordered them in build order generation 0 (X0) to generation 6 (X6).
All bases are currently still operated and staffed.All bases are stock except of mechjeb and scansat.
I although want to share some thoughts about the design targets, maybe somebody gets some inspirations. I watched tons of ship/station ideas in the past 6 weeks to get some inspirations. Some i loved, some i neglected and some I just didn't understand.

So far i did build stations for the following purpuses:
- Science stations - Most important kind of station
- Orbital Base for landing missions - Important for lander mission with small crafts that need refueling and/or can not return to Kerbin on their own
- Refueling base - A fuel depot here and there eases planning and allows often to accept simple to achieve missions
- Orbital Base for rescue missions - i tend to bring packs of 3 small escape pods to mun/minus/kerbin orbital bases and use them when needed.

Generation 0 (X0)
Actually I started building stations, when I observed labs will be handy to get science. First I tried to drop a Lab out of a plane over mountain territory. Achieved this goal, but didn't get any notable science. So I build a plane that can fly around and collect data, I later did build a refueling and refitting rover (refueling from the front, refitting additional science modules to the back). And of course a general science rover, that eases getting all the science from KSC to the vessel, when it is landed. This creation was a big success. (The version that is now operated is actually mk2 and mk3 of generation 0)
Note: Analyzing the data from flight directly in flight gives you much more data, than analyzing the later on the ground.

Generation 1 (X1)
This station was build almost in paralell with the flying science vessel. Not the biggest success regarding science data, I needed to add batteries and solar panels by docking more vessels to it. It was mainly operated as a low orbit fuel cache. But still not worth it, if I compare the amount of fuel I can now lift into orbit with just one vessel. At least it was fun and I learnt much about docking, a major step to the next generations.

Generation 2 (X2)
Basically just the final design of Generation 1 Science Lab. I positioned it around Mun. It was the first vessel to be filled up with a full 500 Data. It operated as base for the first Mun mission. It also has always docked some escape pods to it, to rescue stranded Kerbals from Mun low Orbit. A big leap for Kerbalkind both mission-wise and science-wise.

Generation 3 (X3)
Kerbin High Orbit Orbital Lab. This design is actually the great leap from the mun misison. The first modular vessel. It consists of the 2nd stage (1st stage was all solid boosters), a third interplanetary stage and the modular X3 Lab. Kerbin High Orbital Lab was later fitted with additional experiments by a docked science probe. Currenttly it hase docked an additional grabber/rescue drone.
With all the science from Mun I created a set of modules, X3 Modular Lab, X3 Crew Module, X3 interplanetary stage, X3 Return Vessel, X3 Lander, X3 Rover and of course X3 Crane/Connector. Lab and Crew Module could theoretically be landed on Mun/Minmus and joined together via the Connector-Rover. However i couldn't afford to max out the VAB at that time. And with a 250 part limit I just couldn't launch the Connector Module.

A note on X3 docking. i completely abandoned the idea of RCS thrusters. i could not build a single ship, where it worked. I used a RCS thrusted placing Mod but still, it might work moderately for a single ship, but as soon as i join modules or break them apart it isn't ballanced at all. I basically dock the following way. 1 Homan transfer, 2 fine tune Homan transfer, 3 match velocities, 4 align the docking ports of both ships. 5 speed up the smaller and done. In some cases I repeat step 3-5 a second time. You can control a ship from every docking port to align this port in the direction of the other ship.
All it needs to support this docking style are highly agile ships, i.e. enough inline stabilizers. X4 often has 2 or 3. X5/X6 has up to 15. But be aware: If you put several stabilizers directly under a docking port it will bend up to 10 degrees or more just by trying to steer it. This way it gets completely out of control. So try to attach the stabilizers to the bigger parts that do not bend or wobble. You can use radial attachment points to attach them almost everywhere. A 2nd option is to fix the parts below and above the stabilizers with additional struts.

Generation 4 (X4)
X4 is basically a slightly improved version of X3. As soon as you operate them you get lots of ideas to improve them. Picture 5 shows Minus Orbital Base station consisting of 2 interplanetary stages, an X4 Lander, An X4 fuel depot (big tank + small drop tank) and a grabber/escape pod.
One of my improvements from X3 to x4 is the invention of lander drop tanks. The lander can land and return to the OBASE both on Mun and Minmus. On minus it also can carry a 3 tons X3 science rover to the ground and return, but on Mun it cannot, So I simply dock the rover on top of the lander and the drop tank on top of the rover. In flight or on ground I transfer the fuel to the lander and drop the tank as soon as it is empty. This way I get the additional delta-V to land the rover and return.

Picture 6 shows Minmus Polar Orbital Lab
It consists of X4 components. 2 interplanetary stages, a Lab, a fuel station and 3 escape pods. I have the same thing (including a crew module in Mun polar orbit). Both were able to get vast amounts of science and data. I collect all possible experiments multible times (2x  transfered to Kerbin, 1x stored in the Lab component, 1x in a escape pod to be returned to Kerbin).
This way you can almost max out science from the Minmus and Mun missions. Even the experiments from a polar orbit (crew report and  gravimetric report from both high and low orbit) result in a abundance of science. 

Generation 5 (X5)
All the science, the new parts and maxed out buildings leaded to the idea to build an Minmus Orbital refinery, a miner that can land on Mun/Minmus. This should be the base to explore Duna and the other planets. So far i only did send out some probes, that not yet arrived so I planned big rockets, big stations.
Picture 7 shows the X5 Minus OREF (Orbital refinery), with X5 Minmus Miner, and X5 Lander including 2 X5 Science Rovers. On top a X5 return vessel and on the side 2 X5 Escape Pods.

A new invention of X5 is the combined interplanetary stage/lander i.e. the lander is both a interplanetary stage and a lander. Same for the Orbital refinery, it can acts as a interplanetary stage.

Another new concept of X5 is that the payload is also used as fuel source for the launcher system. i.e. the launcher was much smaller than you would think for a monster-payload like the OREF.
this makes perfectly sence if you later refuel it with ore from mun.

As a first resume X5 got much to big in terms of part count. My computer lags as hell when i dock 3 or more of this big ships together and docking gets harder.
Additionally these big ships need quite some inline stabilizers to support my docking style (without any RCS).
X6 will focus on reducing the part count. It will also focus to place inline stabilizers a way that they do not bend the ship like chewing gum and fix the parts around the inline stabilizers with struts to minimize bending. X6 will furthermore include a set of new out of the box launchers.

Generation 6 (X6)
My first X6 station just launched from KSC. The improved OREF. Less batteries and solar panels, 4 instead of 12 NERV-engines. It includes 2 poodles as auxilliary engines. First Mission will be to grab a class d asteroid to Kerbin orbit.
Tried to max out the delta-v of the interplanetary stage with a new (partly aspargus/drop-tank) staging and improving launch stability. X5 had about 2600 DV in 800km orbit. X6 has now 5300 DV in 200km orbit. 

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/HONyS"><a href="//imgur.com/a/HONyS">Space Stations</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Edited by KalleWirsch

I reached the Point in my current career progress, where i can build nice space stations. So I build one ;)

First images shows the Station with a ORE-Extractor attached.  (244 parts, 77.5t, awful low FPS :( )

Second image shows my attempt catching that fuel-less ORE-Extractor and maneuver it to a docking port.

EDIT:

Adding 2 new Images, station shows ORE-Refinery, two living modules, a LAB also docked:

- two crew transfer modules (Orion style)

- a cargo transfer module 

- an ORE-Extractor

- two Space TUG to transfer the ORE-Extractor to Mun and Minmus or rearrange the station

- a Space HOOK

(324 parts, 107.2t)

Rearange the Modules ;)

svkYt9d.jpg

Edited by tomkpunkt

On 2/18/2016 at 10:15 PM, Matuchkin said:

@Whackjob! I summon thee to arise from the depths and confines of tartarus, and to teach this young lad a lesson in how true rockets are made!

Sorry.  Spent the last three days in bed ill, and I'm still not clear today.  Been sleeping as long and as deep as I can.  

Made a modest orbital refueling station. First image is the fuel module on launchpad. Other images are from orbit, it has science module and some other stuff too. Might add something else later...

Edited by zuuhis79
Added album...

It's more than a week since my post and so far, here are a couple of update images of a new vessel and space station:

KSV Future Quest (left) and KSS Eternal Brilliance (right)
ksv-future-quest-kss-eternal-brilliance-

KSV Future Quest aligning itself to dock at one of the docking pads

KSV Future Quest docked. Also shown docked is the Ascent Return Vehicle Mk2.

I've gotten started on my new Valhalla multi-purpose station. I recently started building an orbiting fuel depot but it turned out messy and improvised, this station is better planned. I started by placing a sturdy station core in orbit with ample power supply and plenty docking points and also decent illumintation. So far I've added a habitation and science module and the first section of the fuel depot which will consist of 3 Kerbodyne S3 14400 tanks. I'll also add a "lifeboat" and might add more living space, as I try to keep my Kerbals somewhat comfortable.

2016-03-04_00004_zpsyvewomfk.jpg

Ringo's Roadkill Cafe

Built this as a viability testbed - got fed up with wobbly stations using a single docking port in early / mid career, so decided to put together a tri-port subassembly to use instead.

Strength wise - pretty happy. Used the tug to apply a bit of uneven force and it didnt wobble. 

Pro's - triple port docking connections are nice and sturdy.

Cons - Oh the part count! Each docking port dub assembly consists of a rockomax adaptor, 3 docking ports and 3 struts - so the part count goes high quickly. With my PC this chugs along at 9fps. Going to be interesting to see how it fares when 1.1 comes along. 

B42E76B379CD1434BDA89F6C50BFCB244BD9AA46

Here's the space station I'm building at the moment, haven't got a name for it as of yet so it's just known as the KSS, finished designing it last night. Broken it down into seperate modules now it's time to launch each one and build it in orbit. Pictures show the full station hyper edited into orbit. Will update when I'm finished tonight. 

Edited by Mait3rz

This may be the most ambitious thing I've put together in orbit. It's certainly the largest! I present to you - Space Habitat 1. Unofficially named by Kerbonauts the world over as "Whirlygig Town". 

And yes - the 6 Hab wheels all spin. Each arm has two spin-habs that counter-rotate against each other, cancelling out the torque of the spin. I'm using Lackluster Labs spin habitat part for these, so they're not as parts intensive as they might seem - each wheel is ONE part. 

N4chO6z.png

The core is a modified KSA Torus (downloaded from Kerbal X). I'm considering replacing it with a space station core of my own design with fewer parts, while keeping the spin-hab arms. Because that thing is REALLY parts heavy, and the whole thing makes my framerate BEG for mercy! 

SFclHxc.png

oIau8zc.png

And just in case you're wondering - no I didn't cheat anything up there - all the major components were launched legit. Here's one of the hab-arms being lofted into orbit by my own Super-S Booster stack. 

bpVQQvS.png

mykEkCE.png

Here's Hab-Arm 2 being carefully moved into place by the top stage robotic booster. 

vmdXjNa.png

And this was the final robot booster backing away after attaching hab-arm 3. 

4wefqRi.png

2 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Click the black button with the "i" on it on the right hand side of the editor toolbar, then enter "fkNli" in the dialog box that appears.

PC only? I'm using a mobile.

So I posted this station a couple of posts back, however that was just a test model I was using with hyper edit. Last night I finished building the real thing. Completed without mechjeb assistance. Sitting at roughly 280 parts. It took 5 launches. At an orbit of around 125 K.M. I give you Aether command station. 

MpMZUYW.png

wAkvsqi.png

Edited by Mait3rz

Here's my first large space station, only just completed after being built over a span of ten irl months. It was built in 100% stock, hardcore career (no flight resets) using realistically sized rockets.

4dphEdA.png

Specs:

Parts: 251

Mass: 111.8 tons (no fuel or asteroids added)

Size: 20.9X29.4X45.2

Cost: $284,000 (more than $2 mil to put into orbit)

Orbit: 200x200km, equatorial

Frames while in physics range: <2

The Big Round Thing is still up there in its incomplete state (might finish it this weekend), but here's another I sent up in one piece because I got a bit impatient with launching and rendezvousing the same shape payload another half a dozen times...

As you can see, it's about as round as a bicycle wheel having just gone over a tram track. Suggestions for a name welcome.

screenshot75.pngscreenshot79.pngscreenshot80.pngscreenshot82.pngscreenshot83.pngscreenshot84.png