DunaManiac's Attempt at the Minmus Elcano Challenge [Complete]

DunaManiac

This is my attempt at an Elcano, specifically circumnavigating Minmus. As I'm on vacation I've had a lot of time for KSP lately, so I decided the best way to waste my time would be to circumnavigate Minmus.

uXA006L.png

tuFRKfA.png

The rover; the Standard Reconnaissance Vehicle is a mostly stock rover, with several modded parts such as the SSPRx service bay, the KIS containers, and the Near Future command pod. I wanted to develop a rover that could be used reasonably well on most bodies, so I figured that an Elcano would be a perfect way to see if it really deserves the title "Standard." It can carry two kerbals, and its service bay contains a generous amount of science experiments. It can also carry a large amount of BG surface experiments, as well as items within its KIS cargo containers. This is the first time I have attempted a long drive like this, since the time I drove 70 kilometers on Minmus a few years ago.

However, I was very pleased with the SRV's final performance. It only crashed once, and that was after 90 kilometers of driving, and even then only because I was careless and wasn't monitoring it. For the other 280 kilometers, I drove completely without incident.

The starting position was at MSB1, located at 14 degrees north, 65 degrees east.

w9VD7Vo.png

Part 0: Launch and Delivery

Spoiler

The delivery method was slightly... unusual, or at least not direct.

t0vtXov.png

lIFeR8d.png

7zPVPQg.png

Iyxx9xa.png

We took off, ordinarily, but rather than going to Minmus directly we instead rendezvoused with Jewel 2, a  mothership I was constructing in orbit.

2wvwVqC.png

e3osxMD.png

Zra22Eq.png

And also, I launched it with a lander. The reason for this is because the rover was a part of a mission to deploy a base and a station in orbit around Minmus from Jewel 2, in order for it to serve as a fuel depot.

lbPJXT4.png

PZhc7N4.png

Eventually, once the mothership was finished, I set out for Minmus. I'm not going to bore you with the details of how exactly I built the base, as that isn't super important.

iTZxqad.png

Finally, however, I deployed the rover and the lander, which were going to land on the surface together.

Plh8jXv.png

q2RwKd4.png

obuw030.png

Once above the surface I separated the two, allowing them to land individually. But that's not the end of the story just yet.

Basically, I wasn't intending to use it specifically for an Elcano, so it sat there for a year (in-game).

e6KnBuz.png

Later on, I sent up the same mothership again to expand the base in a similar fashion as the first mission.

EBOXxdW.png

Eventually, the new base was set up and expanded. It was at this point when I decided to use it for an Elcano. And thus, the long 370 kilometer journey began.

Edited by DunaManiac

Part 1: The first 75 kilometers

Spoiler

For the first 75 kilometers, I had a pretty good idea of the route. I was going to do a long arcing curve for about 40 kilometers, then I would reach a land bridge and that would take me down onto the Greater flats, similar to the route outlined here:

CQ29pcL.png

The reason for this arcing curve is because I wanted to avoid the areas of sharp, rolling hills created by procedural noise that most of Minmus actually is. Henceforth, I'll call these Perlin fields.

iYntvgr.png

Setting out from the base (aka MSB1) with Irsey, I began the grueling 370 kilometer long journey.

C3oefPM.png

JOHhcY7.png

The early parts of the terrain were fairly featureless. Thankfully, however, this first bit was flat.

thjOEqe.png

I decided I was going to stop every 10 kilometers. and first of these waypoints is here.

oX0KL0k.png

Eventually I began to notice that the rover had a small, but persistent turn to the left. Exactly why that was is a mystery, but I had to deal with it for the rest of the journey.

M6rU3bM.png

About 30 kilometers into the journey, the terrain began to become more lumpy as the perlin fields to the north approached.

gfS0HG2.png

This was the plateau I was aiming for. Beyond it lied the landbridge that would take us down into the Greater flats. The slopes of the plateau was fairly steep, except for a single path in the center. I decided to go through it, it would be better than braving the perlin fields.

yIBAB5t.png

As I approached, the plateau loomed before me.

OV6KfXf.png

yaU9Lga.png
Passing an olivine formation, I began to climb the slope. The SRV made quick work of it.

tD0Mja5.png
As I was moving over 20 m/s at this point, I had a hearty jump as I cleared the slope onto the plateau. The first challenge that Minmus had thrown at me, the rover had passed with ease.

frkW1T9.png

At this point I was 40 kilometers away from my starting point. The path ahead was simple. I would drive along this landbridge until I reached the bottom of the Great flats, where I would continue for the next 20 kilometers after that, similar to the path outlined below.

wL0qv83.png

lFDq6Mn.png

ro7fyPh.png

XdkyZUs.png

Setting out from Waypoint 4 and planting another one 10 kilometers away I found there was a discontinuity between two plateaus, and only a tiny land-bridge connecting them. I would have to pass, or risk descending into the perlin fields.

84ZK4x3.png

However, I passed without a hitch.

V0Tvooi.png
At this point, I was 60 kilometers into the mission. All that was left to do was to drive down the land bridge and I'd be home free for the next 20 kilometers.

ahx1mKf.png

jaeGUpi.png

VdOdQ5g.png

I set a waypoint, 70 kilometers away from the starting point and began to drive down the slight slope.

dGTpE0G.png
I selected a nice place to start the climb out of the flats 20 kilometers away at Site W2KV, and I began the long trek across the Greater Flats.

Part 2: Out of the Flats and Into the Flats.

Spoiler

Liuewql.png

Leaving Waypoint 7, I began the long trek across the Greater flats.

LHTePt4.png

8ypOsQT.png

853CZhh.png

Driving across the flats was fairly easy. Unfortunately it was marred by the persistent left turn, forcing me to monitor it every 30 seconds or so. I paused to set a waypoint 80 kilometers from the base before continuing again.

u36eDP9.png

efXFYWr.png

I saw a few cliffs that looked like knife-edges as I passed. Glad I'm not traversing those!

5MboFIK.png

90 kilometers out I began to approach Sector W2KV. Its about the gentlest slope I could find to get out of the flats. It may not had been the best place, but at least it was relatively shallow compared to the steep slopes surrounding the great flats. And most importantly, I would be spared the perlin fields and be delivered straight to one of the relatively flat highlands. The only problem was that it caused me to go south a fair bit.

mLtXtXo.png

N3J21cQ.png

Pausing to set another waypoint, I laid out the route before me:

IyG6IyB.png

Before I could begin the major climb however, I still had to pass over a small cliff separating a small pocket of flats from the rest of the Great flats. I could go around it but I decided to instead go straight over it to save time.

me8cpb4.png

rYjOgC3.png

Q5Ptic5.png

LmJAu3p.png

Climbing over the minor slope, I paused to set a waypoint in this small, flat pocket. Marking the 100 kilometers I had travelled up until that point, I prepared for the major climb.

HTObruB.png

1IquymP.png

After crossing the flat pocket, I began the climb.

NpJCEhv.png

mKEB6WA.png
Thankfully, however, the climb was relatively easily, and I was catapaulted off onto the highland plateau. By now I had driven over 115 kilometers.

The next route, laid out below, would be more or less in a straight line until I reached the Great Flats. All I would have to do was stear clear of the southern gulch.

HwxQQvt.png

SBqV2lK.png

After driving through utterly unremarkable terrain for about 10 kilometers, planting waypoint 13. However, at this point, I was faced with a choice. Do I go around the Great Flats, or through them?

Ultimately, I decided to go through the flats. Its the quickest way, and I wouldn't have to deal with the perlin fields. The only risk would be that I would not be able to get out. However, I decided to take that risk.

Unlike the descent into the greater flats, there was no clear or smooth path down. So I decided to wing it and go in a straight line down.

W1hOhh7.png

i2URCMM.png

8ldCw7x.png

The descent was a challenge. Most of the time I was driving at over 20 meters per second. I found the brakes were very unreliable. Not to mention weak, if they were engaged sometimes I would be thrown into the air without warning. I resorted instead to simply driving in reverse to reduce speed, even though that did aggravate the mysterious left turn.

C2tqOsz.png

However, I made it down in one piece, and stopped to plant Waypoint 14. By now I had driven 140 kilometers. Not even halfway. Next, I planned to cross the great flats and drive across the highlands until I came upon the lesser flats.

h8LktTp.png

Edited by DunaManiac

Part 3: The Long Haul

Spoiler

6fWAIwr.png

I decided that simply traveling through the Great flats in a straight line would be the best course.

1j9Wb5x.png

4HBkm4l.png

CHnwbAI.png

After driving through the flats for 20 kilometers and placing waypoints 15, 16, and 17, I came upon the end of the great flats. I found a nice place to attempt a climb right in the thinnest part of the Great flats, or the "bottleneck," as I like to call them. After leaving the flats and climbing back onto the highlands, I planned to push on for the next 40 kilometers until I reach the lesser flats. The only complication is that there is a rift pushing up about halfway through with only a small land-bridge connecting them.

P3Qo658.png

QT3ZFg5.png

z14huDf.png

bAvMZQI.png

After safely climbing up the slope, as well as getting some air as I was moving rather quickly, Irsey gleefully marked Waypoint 18, or the halfway point. By this point, she had driven 180 kilometers and through two flats. There were only 40 kilometers of highlands before the lesser flats.

t0J95jM.png

Krz2SWZ.png

After planting waypoint 19, we came upon the land bridge in front of us. I planned to move swiftly over the land-bridge, otherwise I would have to dip through a valley to the south or brave the perlin fields in the north.

cISyDBr.png

A2vqfYz.png

I began to cross the land-bridge.

5Az7wlE.png

58nFBL1.png
At this point the left turn was seriously bothering me. I began to pull dangerously close to the northern edge of the land-bridge, where there were was a ridge that I really did not want to send my rover flying, as by this point I was moving at 23 m/s. However, I edged past it.

fdKU9kv.png

8AZuy1d.png

After planting waypoint 20, marking 200 kilometers driven, I set a course for my entry point. Unlike the great flats and the greater flats, the entry into the Lesser flats threatened to be even steeper.

PagKI0C.png

E1MFccc.png

NaiBWOf.png

UWhKI6C.png

After passing by some green sandstone, and planting waypoints 21, and 22, the highland plateau began to end. I had driven through it for nearly 40 kilometers.

6iQYqOF.png

The route next was fairly straightforward. I would enter the  lesser flats, drive directly west before turning north, and crossing a pass though the midlands onto a nearby flat.

1j9DkVu.png

I found that under closer inspection however, that the slope was much steeper than I had anticipated. I decided to press on however, as this would be a good test of the rover's capabilities. I did know to avoid a near-shear drop slightly to the south and proceed in a straight line.

0Q45fpE.png

avqo4Dy.png

RnFT3J4.png'

FfepE9Q.png

ZZYcoDv.png

After making it down I planted Waypoint 24, marking 240 kilometers travelled.

wbpI2dS.png

I aimed to pass into the nearby flats through a small pass called "Keeton's Crevice," apparently. There was a pass to the north, but I figured it would take too long and decided to go with the more difficult southerly one.

Part 4: The Lesser Flats.

Spoiler

0ZnxzIQ.png

UqROAKI.png

Axcl3sZ.png

xDnoT4R.png

After driving for about 20 kilometers across the Lesser flats, and planting waypoint 25, I eventually approached Keeton's crevice. The only problem is this "pass" looked much lower from the map view. Instead, apparently in order to get into it one must climb a shear cliff several hundred meters tall. At this point, being two thirds of the way across Minmus, I decided to brave it.

aYhlEes.png

daiVvfZ.png

After stopping to plant waypoint 26, Irsey began her climb.

sOAMgJ1.png

dauPMmd.png

9B7pdbO.png

The rover actually handled very well. It seems to be very powerful, climbing up that 70 degree slope as if it was a flat. I was very impressed by its performance. However, this pass goes on for about 10 kilometers and is not particualry flat, almost perlin-y.

trDQyfV.png
After crossing the lesser flats and Keeton's Crevice, I planned to continue to drive across the flats, driving around that "island" in its center before climbing out of it onto a spur of some flat highlands and following it in more a less straight line back to MSB1.

EqMFrOd.png

RipoKjA.png

jwCDVSt.png
After stopping to plant a waypoint marking another 10 kilometers, I pressed on through the pass.

C5b7a9h.png

There was only one problem, as I reached the other side of Keeton's Crevice, I realized that it was just as steep on the otherside. I decided to take a risk and brave that slope.

vgj8lG1.png

Ja7vY6c.png

Nearly a 70 degree slope!

nM8mHIH.png

However, the rover made it down safely. The brakes again sent me in the air, which is probably the only reason I survived.

SLRPabK.png

Leaving Keeton's "Crevice" behind, I stopped to place waypoint #28. At this point, my starting point was only 80 kilometers away. By now, I had driven 260 kilometers.

R1o6rAX.png

My next goal was to climb out of these flats, before climbing up onto "Kerman's Buldge" and following the plateau southwest before I could proceed in a straight line back to the base.

lwHpif7.png

d1gBa8v.png

3DtK1yC.png

LrT3gwF.png

Eventually I reached the slope.

GySDzqQ.png

jRdls2M.png

Climbing up it would be a simple matter, just driving straight ahead. Unlike the other slopes though, I would have to climb in stages because I would be climbing a fairly steep slope for 10 kilometers.

Y4QJRJr.png

D7d4YZI.png

Eventually, I neared the top and stopped to plant waypoint 30, marking 300 kilometers travelled. Only 70 kilometers remain now!

Ll7BUJ4.png

Edited by DunaManiac

Part 5: The Last Leg

Spoiler

Now that I was out of the flats, the last thing I had to do was drive southwest along these highlands for 30 kilometers until I reached the same latitude as MSB1, before driving straight west for the last 30 kilometers.

XEJR8YN.png

VM7212l.png

uVIpluN.png
Driving across the flats, I ran into a complication. I couldn't drive in a straight line back to the base. Apparently there is a shear cliff between the SRS and the base, so I would have to go around it. Thankfuly, just to the south in Sector P-CV there is a much flatter place to exit the highlands onto the midlands.

TtwmsRx.png

However, there was still 20 kilometers of highlands to drive before I reached Sector P-CV.

IjrQGBA.png

05yOd6j.png

TH9nTjk.png

After planting Waypoint 33, I was only 40 kilometers from the base, and Sector P-CV was coming up.

g97Q68O.png

Sector P-CV was better than the cliff to the north, but it was still pretty steep. There did appear to be a small land-bridge between two rift-valleys that I could cross.

JhXYCem.png

7DttMu6.png

Entering Sector P-CV was fairly easy.

sxOQBe7.png

The land bridge is up ahead. At this point I was moving at 20 m/s, and that left-turn was threatening to drive off.

ZmnkeQd.png

The land-bridge was easy enough, but I still had to climb out back onto the midlands.

jq4ce5H.png

31j5dQW.png

uXORSRv.png

Leaving Sector P-CV. The cliff is in the background. I probably would have destroyed the rover if I had attempted that. But now, it was only a matter of driving straight west until I reached the base.

jO8ZRuH.png

1EBQrEP.png

cMoKVxo.png

4JCcbxP.png
And with the final waypoint, we were but 12 kilometers away from the base.

3loLUHR.png

i0PB7mt.png

GGwkcdL.png
And with that, we arrived at the base. The elcano is over. Irsey re-entered the base for some well-deserved R&R.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.