Create And Post A Belly Lander SSTO Project Orion Challenge!

I do not have KSP nor do I currently have the resources or time to play it currently.

Yet I have an idea that I would love to see tested to see the viability of it.

Namely a belly lander SSTO project orion.

You can either follow my version I wish to see made or make up your own.

What I would like to see:

1. Use as many realism mods as practical.

2. The spaceship would be called Skyhammer or Hammer Of God... one of the two.

3. Because it has a hammerhead (it is T-shaped composed of thick cylindral hulls). The pusher plate and pistons are at the tail end whereas the hammerhead is the front.

4. Lift off/landing rockets are under the belly of middle of the ship's main body, and the hammerhead section has steering thrusters for steering on it.

Objective: VTOL to orbit and land nearby KSP space center.

Other objectives: Fly it to the mun and back.

Beyond: Go wherever! Have fun. You should be able to have the heaviest VTOL SSTO ever with project orion.

Thanks for any interest in the project!

Edited by Spacescifi

4 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

How would this be done? There is nothing in the game like the Orion propulsion system. 

Scott Manley did it.... probably with mods.

But no one to my knowledge has done anything like what I propose. It would be a first.

Scott comes close, but my version would need no wings since although it is a belly lander it takes off VTOL.

Edited by Spacescifi

Are you issuing a forum challenge, or just a request to see if anybody can build something like this?   If it's a challenge, then we can move this over to the Challenges sub forum, but the usual etiquette is to have completed, or be attempting, the challenge yourself. 

On 4/16/2022 at 5:24 AM, Gargamel said:

Are you issuing a forum challenge, or just a request to see if anybody can build something like this?   If it's a challenge, then we can move this over to the Challenges sub forum, but the usual etiquette is to have completed, or be attempting, the challenge yourself. 

On 4/17/2022 at 10:52 AM, Austin_Kerman said:

I think he’s requesting someone else to build his idea, because he can’t do it himself since he doesn’t have KSP.

What Austin said is correct.

I do not have KSP right now nor do I have the means or circumstances to reasonably play right now.

But I would love to see proof of concept!

Sink or swim.... only one way to find out if the idea is any good or an epic fail.

It seems good... in my head at least lol.

I was thinking that it would be the most uber SSTO ever.

Thankfully kerbals are apparently immune to radiation.... unless there are realism mods for that too  :  (

Edited by Spacescifi

On 4/27/2022 at 10:15 PM, NuclearFish said:

I don't get your idea. A hamerhead spaceship? 

A a hammerhead project orion SSTO.

Uses inner rocket engines for VTOL, then flips in midair to use it's nuclear pusher plate to reach orbit.

Landing is the same process but in reverse... namely nuclear pulse to deorbit and slow in midair for landing before finally flipping horizontal to slow for a rocket powered descent.

How many times you can even do reentry depens on how much fuel you have... since the VTOL rockets have a smaller ISP compared to the nuclear bomb explosions hitting the pusher plate.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.