Multi-player Resource Trading/Vessel Interactions

Jcklemme

So I'm wondering, with resource trading supposedly being a thing in multiplayer, I think it would be fun to have the ability to charge for usage of a players relay network.  Now, idk if probe control will work on a packet system the way science uploads do and I honestly doubt they would, but I think it would be very fun from a role play perspective to try to play as the System's telecommunications network and fund your other projects that way.  Ultimately my goal would be to be able to become the "PAY YOUR PHONE BILLS" meme from battletech.

In order to fund their interstelar mission some would build telecom relay networks, some would build tourist colonies and charge for tours, some would do stranded Kerbal recovery, some would get world-first grants, some could sell tech, some would just mine resources and trade, some could sell vehicles for extreme sports colonies, someone could sell asteroids .. all types of trade ideas and contracts.

Edited by Vl3d

Just now, Vl3d said:

In order to fund their interstelar mission some would build telecom relay networks, some would build tourist colonies and charge for tours, some would do stranded Kerbal recovery, done would get world-first grants, some would just mine resources and trade, some could sell vehicles for extreme sports colonies, someone could sell asteroids .. all types of trade ideas and contracts.

I have no idea to what extent any of this will be implemented, but I love the idea of being able to kind of find a niche in a multiplayer game and trade what you're good at producing to other players.  Like let's say I build a really solid relay network and you have been hard at work building a fuel production infrastructure.  You could just use my relay network and avoid having to send a bunch of probes ahead in exchange for me being able to refuel on your stations in orbit.  I suppose this could all just be roleplayed as well, but I'd have to be able to pick and choose who gets to connect to my relays and when.  It's an interesting idea and I wouldn't be surprised if it gets implemented in mods if it isn't in the base game.  Multiplayer being a part of the core game will likely result in a lot more mods tailored specifically for the multiplayer experience.

3 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

That's why KSP should be a MMO. There's huge potential for cool inter-agency collaboration based on a contracts and resources marketplace.

Now, I don't agree with you there.  I love all of these ideas and want to have them in the game, but KSP should be a single-player game first and foremost.  Also, I hate MMO games.  I do not want to play with a thousand people I do not know and do not care to know.  I saw your thread about that and just do not agree.  We would end up in a situation like EVE Online (I think that's the one I'm thinking of) where a couple guilds control everything and everyone answers to them or can't compete.  If I'm going to play KSP multiplayer, I want to do it with a few of my IRL friends, not half a million randoms.

What if it's basically your usual single player game and you can only physically interact with your friends if you want to? And there's a common marketplace where you can pick contracts to do for other agencies. Or you can start a space race: 4 of you vs 4 other friends.

But you also see other people doing their stuff in the background, see people's cool innovative rocket designs, visit colonies on other planets, discover what the Elder players built long ago in another star system.

Does this really sound that bad?

Edited by Vl3d

1 minute ago, Vl3d said:

But you also see other people doing their stuff in the background, see people's cool innovative rocket designs, visit colonies on other planets, discover what the Elder played built long ago in another star system.

Does this really sound that bad?

To me, yes it does.  I don't want to see a million other people messing around the KSC.

26 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

So you prefer an empty universe?

I prefer to fill the universe myself alongside some of my close personal friends.  We will also supposedly be able to automate recurring missions so there will be craft moving about in the world without other players.

This thread has gotten off-topic now, it wasn't intended for discussion of KSP being an MMO.

Edited by Jcklemme

I wanna be friends with Carnasa, Beardy Penguin, Matt Lowne, N9, Raiz, Jamie Logan, Mike Aben, Stratzenblitz, Scott Manley and all of you guys.

I want to see what you build. You are my aliens!

Presumably there would some kind of limited permissions options per vessel that would allow a another player to say dock and transfer resources to or from a station without giving full control to move or alter it, which could work to lend access to communications without giving them full control. 

Funny thing though we don’t even actually know if money will exist in KSP2 or if science would be transferrable. Even if not you could probably barter resources for access. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

22 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

Funny thing though we don’t even actually know if money will exist in KSP2 or if science would be transferrable. Even if not you could probably barter resources for access. 

Need Kogecoin digital currency in KSP 2

46 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

I wanna be friends with Carnasa, Beardy Penguin, Matt Lowne, N9, Raiz, Jamie Logan, Mike Aben, Stratzenblitz, Scott Manley and all of you guys.

KSP being an MMO won't make you friends with them no more than walking past a stranger in a crowded city.

49 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

What I could envision is high tech part trading. You know how you have a stock of parts in colonies and the KSC from recovering vessels? Well, one player could ship a Crucible to another player in exchange for currency or whatever return service was promised, even if the other player doesn’t have the tech for that yet. 

Edited by t_v

1 hour ago, Jcklemme said:

This thread has gotten off-topic now, it wasn't intended for discussion of KSP being an MMO.

But everyone taking about resource / parts trading and inter-agency contracts ignoring the elephant in the room: who are you going to trade with / do contracts for?

You can't have a solar system / galactic market with just your 3/7/11 other friends that maybe only play once in a while.

5 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

But everyone taking about resource / parts trading and inter-agency contracts ignoring the elephant in the room: who are you going to trade with / do contracts for?

You can't have a solar system / galactic market with just your 3/7/11 other friends that maybe only play once in a while.

This is a discussion about trade and what items could be traded and the systems that surround that trade. Creating entire markets is not the central theme of this thread, and lots of games have trade between a few players work well. And with automated routes, I’m willing to bet that trade networks will get pretty galactic pretty fact. 

9 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

Yes I can. gigachad.jpg

Hell, I'll just run KSP2 on multiple computers and trade with myself.

Edited by Jcklemme

Honestly, the main thing I'd use multi-player for is to have more than one computer in my home playing the same game at the same time.  I'd have a different "player" for each main mission or SOI (Kerbin, Jool and moons, Duna, another star, etc) and use a remote desktop to switch between them.  But being able to burn nodes in the background will alleviate a lot of the motivation for that goal I suppose

Which reminds me, I hope multiuser will allow the ability to transfer "ownership" of a craft and its kerbals between players

Edited by darthgently

5 minutes ago, darthgently said:

Which reminds me, I hope multiuser will allow the ability to transfer "ownership" of a craft and its kerbals between players

I think  at launch we will either see a very bare-bones multiplayer where you basically just exist in the same world and have very limited interactions (that may get more features down the road) or something akin to what has been discussed in this thread.  I think it's more likely that we get the former though unfortunately.

Edited by Jcklemme

6 minutes ago, darthgently said:

And yet, none of us really knows what will be delivered, all guesses aside, lol

That's true,  with zero community engagement regarding development we can only speculate and hope.

51 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

I would argue you can if you've got the right sort of people I've been on multiple Minecraft realms/servers populated with a group of around a dozen friends, and there was a sort of economy where people would trade diamonds for other materials/services. I can definitely imaging trading parts or fuel for things in that sort of setting. 

25 minutes ago, Jcklemme said:

That's true,  with zero community engagement regarding development we can only speculate and hope.

There has been enough engagement to let the KSP community know that they've been listened to very carefully from what I can tell.  At a certain point just have to trust a bit