It would seem Sony owns Kerbals and it's now a copyright violation to stream Kerbals.

Fengist

Did some test streaming on facebook today playing Kerbals, nothing else. 

I got this nasty-gram after  the video was blocked. 

The following actions were applied to your video by Sony Music Entertainment - SME, because it may contain 31 seconds of content they own.

And how much you wanna bet that it's the ambient sounds at night time when viewing the space center.  I swore the first time I heard it, it was the ambient sounds from EQ1's Nek Forest.  You don't suppose Squad borrowed that do you?

Checked the time codes Sony claims is a violation.  1 scene 16 seconds they claim is a violation is exactly what I expected.  Night time looking at the space center.  The other one, 15 seconds, was a black screen after transitioning from missions to space center to VAB

Edited by Fengist

3 hours ago, Fengist said:

And how much you wanna bet that it's the ambient sounds at night time when viewing the space center.  I swore the first time I heard it, it was the ambient sounds from EQ1's Nek Forest.  You don't suppose Squad borrowed that do you?

No, everything but the main title is royalty free music by Kevin McCloud (I misspelled that I think).   If all you are streaming is KSP, then there isn't a valid copyright claim in there. 

This is their copyright bot going rogue, which seems to be the industry norm. 

47 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

No, everything but the main title is royalty free music by Kevin McCloud (I misspelled that I think).   If all you are streaming is KSP, then there isn't a valid copyright claim in there. 

This is their copyright bot going rogue, which seems to be the industry norm. 

Thanks @Gargamel. I assume that includes the ambient sounds. I filed a dispute but you know how it works, it took them seconds to block the video and likely weeks to un-block it.  Luckily, it was just a test video and nothing important.  I'll let you know the results of the dispute.  Think next week I'll just post dozens of short KSP streams to facebook and see if I can make Sony explode.  Then again, I could just hire some North Koreans to do that... again.

its not sonys but assuming for a second it was. Can you make a copyright claim on something like ambient sounds? Its just crickets. Would that not being the same as me putting a microphone in a zoo and then claiming a copyright on all the animal videos online?

7 hours ago, Gargamel said:

Huh?   How?

It's simple. The Sony copyright bot on Facebook flagged it pretty much as soon as I ended the stream.  5+ hour stream and because they claimed 2 segments 15 secs each were theirs, the entire video, all 5+ hours, in 249 countries and provinces was blocked from being viewed.  It got blocked on Friday.  I put in the dispute on Friday. They didn't release the block and drop the claim until Thursday of the next week.  So, that's almost a week.

I seriously doubt if they changed their bot because of my dispute. So it'll likely block more KSP videos requiring more disputes.  My solution so far is simple. I turn off the KSP music and use royalty free music provided by Facebook as a sound bed.  Now as for ambient sounds, I can't stop those but maybe the sound bed behind it will be enough to throw the bot off.   I'm pretty sure it's the space center ambient it's triggering on.

1 hour ago, dave1904 said:

its not sonys but assuming for a second it was. Can you make a copyright claim on something like ambient sounds? Its just crickets. Would that not being the same as me putting a microphone in a zoo and then claiming a copyright on all the animal videos online?

Any original sound, music, writing, etc. can be copyrighted.  So yea, if you went and recorded crickets then it's yours.  You can't claim a copyright on all animal sounds but you can on the ones you record.  It's considered a unique work.  That ambient in the space center is enough like an ambient from Everquest 1 that I immediately thot EQ1 when I heard it.  And that's how copyright works. If it's a recognizable work and they can prove it's the same or even a portion of their work, then they can legally pursue it.  The only copyright dispute I've seen not held up legally lately was this one:

This monkey took a selfie with a photographers camera. The photographer couldn't claim copyright because the monkey took it. The monkey couldn't claim copyright because it's not human.  
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_selfie_copyright_dispute

220px-Macaca_nigra_self-portrait_large.j

Edited by Fengist

On 4/21/2022 at 8:52 PM, dave1904 said:

Might be you're taking "ambient sound" literally, but in the wrong direction. Neither Norrath nor Kerbin are real. Maybe someone did just go to a zoo and record 30s of sound, but that's unlikely. At the very least, they had to do some amount of digital editing to create a loop that wouldn't glitch. You'd need a non-trivial amount of time, effort, money and experience to get a game-worthy loop of sounds from a zoo. To get one you could use without editing/mixing? You'd need to be hot excrements in terms of finding the right window of time (no kid screaming a foot from your mic), accoustics (aka your recording sounds like 30s of  someone taking a wiz, was that the lion?), and balance (the sound of nothing because all the animals were asleep).

Chances are that the ambience loops in Freeport and Space Center were manually edited by mixing and balancing and tweaking various other PD sounds. But I'm glad I'm not the only person who was half expecting the sea-zone/dock bar music to kick in at any second :)

On 4/21/2022 at 10:39 AM, Fengist said:

Took them almost a week but Sony removed their copyright claim and released the video.

That's pretty amazing. I get the impression that most bot-claim disputes are answered with a rubber-stamped "we reviewed your claim and deny it" (which suggests that in most cases, as they are blindingly obvious, they do not actually review disputes)

On 4/25/2022 at 2:13 AM, kfsone said:

Might be you're taking "ambient sound" literally, but in the wrong direction. Neither Norrath nor Kerbin are real. Maybe someone did just go to a zoo and record 30s of sound, but that's unlikely. At the very least, they had to do some amount of digital editing to create a loop that wouldn't glitch. You'd need a non-trivial amount of time, effort, money and experience to get a game-worthy loop of sounds from a zoo. To get one you could use without editing/mixing? You'd need to be hot excrements in terms of finding the right window of time (no kid screaming a foot from your mic), accoustics (aka your recording sounds like 30s of  someone taking a wiz, was that the lion?), and balance (the sound of nothing because all the animals were asleep).

Chances are that the ambience loops in Freeport and Space Center were manually edited by mixing and balancing and tweaking various other PD sounds. But I'm glad I'm not the only person who was half expecting the sea-zone/dock bar music to kick in at any second :)

when you put it that way it makes more sense I suppose. Ive no idea about sound in games but it actually is interesting. I always wondered how AAA games like battlefield could sound so good and games like call of duty sound horrible. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.