Art style: Please avoid neon lights. Please improve metallic hydrogen engine star-like exhaust.

I think the current KSP2 art style is looks amazing. I love how everything looks - it feels material, real, grounded and realist. I have just one very small request and one observation.

Request: in general, please avoid using the neon lights - bright colors - ultra saturated art style that is so prevalent in games today. We don't need the color induced candy-crush-like dopamine rush.

Observation: I love the plumes of metallic hydrogen and I understand that the pink color is based in science. I have no issue with it. But in the most recent Feature Video (Interstellar Travel) there is a star-like exhaust object near the engine base - I think the animation for it looks too repetitive and the visual quality of the material coming out is below the standard of the gorgeous gaseous plumes coming out of the nozzles. Besides, wouldn't it damage the surrounding engines?

ksp2-metallic-hydrogen2.png

Edited by Vl3d
added 2 words

I agree, those neon lights look a little too flashy. The rocket would probably have less going on if they could remove those. Also, I noticed that when these rockets are going there is a screen-shake feature. I think it looks too distracting from the mission, so I would have it disabled.

From the pink exhaust, those are doped mH engines. That's the color the exhaust is supposed to be. Intercept is going for as much realism as possible, including the proper color of the exhaust. If you go and watch the earlier feature videos, they explain on how they are getting the proper expected exhaust colors.

3 hours ago, Vl3d said:

Observation: I love the plumes of metallic hydrogen and I understand that the pink color is based in science.

Already mentioned in the OP.

Edited by Vl3d

3 hours ago, Vl3d said:

Already mentioned in the OP.

Why are you complaining about the fact that the engine plumes have been made as realistic as possible? This is how they should look in reality based on our current understandings. If you have any complaints on how engine plumes in real life look, you should probably file your complaints to the god of aerospace and mathematics instead of Intercept.

17 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

Why are you complaining about the fact that the engine plumes have been made as realistic as possible?

I have no idea what you are talking about and I encourage you to read the OP one more time.

Its important to note that this isn't the finished game, nor even the latest build. It'll probably be refined and polished as we get closer to release. It's too early to criticize what is most likely a rough placeholder.

The issue is the wording used in the image you provided, which is what people tend to focus on. The starburts exhaust is, in fact, quite gorgeous. Looks are inconsequential.

I'm guessing this conversation would be better developed if you had tackled the subject directly. i.e. whether or not the starburts exhaust will be damaging to nearby components and, if not, why.

1: Why is there a star plume around the engine?
2: Should this star plume not damage surrounding engines?

Just putting the questions in a simpler format for people to answer. We already know why the plume is pink, stop talking about it. Focus on the star-plume coming out of the sides.

On 4/20/2022 at 11:39 AM, Superfluous J said:

Looks more like a problem with now the craft was constructed than with the engine. if the engine does that, you should build the ship so important things aren't being hit by it.

I might be about to say something dumb but... if the star exhaust had energy to cause damage when it seem to me it would be worth while having some deflector round the engine to push it in the direction of exhaust.  Indeed the engines around would reflect in the wrong direction and reduce thrust. 

Given the evidence we have to date seem like its harmless.

• 5 months later...

I really feel like this is still relevant judging by recent gameplay videos. How come the star exhaust does not damage parts it touches?

Boo star exhaust! No more!

Edited by Vl3d

On 4/17/2022 at 6:36 PM, DunaManiac said:

Its important to note that this isn't the finished game, nor even the latest build. It'll probably be refined and polished as we get closer to release. It's too early to criticize what is most likely a rough placeholder.

8 hours ago, Vl3d said:

I really feel like this is still relevant judging by recent gameplay videos. How come the star exhaust does not damage parts it touches?

Boo star exhaust! No more!

What @DunaManiac said is still true, the newest footage in the release date announcement is very old according to the devs.

I don't even know what kind of engine that's supposed to be... Looks like a magnetic nozzle, probably for a fusion engine of some sort? I thought maybe it could be some plasma-based z-pinch fusion but you're right, that's some kind of exhaust, it's not plasma driving inward to compress fuel... An open-cycle fusion engine? I'm very confused.

Edited by regex

It's intended to be a metallic hydrogen rocket, the nozzle is magnetic to prevent the heat of the reaction from burning the thing up. I assume the star plume is waste products that couldnt be directed downwards, though I feel like theyd still be tilted downwards due to the momentum of the fuel leaving the rocket.

7 hours ago, Strawberry said:

I assume the star plume is waste products that couldnt be directed downwards, though I feel like theyd still be tilted downwards due to the momentum of the fuel leaving the rocket

Yeah but judging by its color (similar to the 5-6000 Kelvin exhaust) it's very hot. It would melt anything the star touches.