The Artemis Program | A recreation of the Artemis and Orion lunar programs from Eyes turned skywards | 1995 - 2010

On 5/10/2022 at 2:44 PM, ra4nd0m said:

Same here. It's summer session time for all students across the world so good luck and don't catch too many retakes!)

Ah thanks. British exams are much different though ha, they’re many times harder than the American equivalent, and they’re taken 2 years earlier. We also don’t get retakes either. I’ll be fine though, I’m get good grades and I’ve been preparing all year for this. I’m just exited to return to Artemis after

1 hour ago, AmateurAstronaut1969 said:

Ah thanks. British exams are much different though ha, they’re many times harder than the American equivalent, and they’re taken 2 years earlier. We also don’t get retakes either. I’ll be fine though, I’m get good grades and I’ve been preparing all year for this. I’m just exited to return to Artemis after

I feel you with exams, got my mocks in a few months haha

• 1 month later...

@AmateurAstronaut1969 hey uhh random question but is there like version of ksp and a modlist for this recreation? also what is the mod that adds the robotic arm in the station?

On 4/24/2022 at 11:44 PM, AmateurAstronaut1969 said:

Freedom Expedition 32 - 30th September 1996
                                                                                                                          It's a test...still a test!

Crewed Block V

After the successful launch of Artemis 1 back in March, the Apollo block V system has been fully fully crew rated and verified. Before crewed flights for the Artemis program begin,  a full manned test of the block V must be done.  Expedition 32 will carry the new Apollo spacecraft to Freedom, along with a block IV mission module for a 2 week test flight.

The crew chosen to fly on the new spacecraft are:

- Commander, Michael Lawson - A veteran of the Freedom program, and his last spaceflight

- Pilot, Natalie Duncan - The first woman to graduate NASA's pilot training scheme

The crew will use their two weeks aboard Freedom to film the movie ''The dream is alive'' using an IMAX camera system brought up aboard the Crew module

hD1rBY0.png

The crew board their Saturn M02, ready to launch in a matter of hours

dxvtsE2.png

Liftoff!

r90PARh.png

7B5fYNu.png

Passing through Max-Q

WHHa8Oh.png

nqvWhup.png

''Expedition 32, you are go for staging!''

p8AxGqo.png

''Copy that Houston''

zglnAYp.png

r5SqgKD.png

Successful staging

OFBVo60.png

LRKdZXI.png

xR9MPns.png

Nominal orbital insertion, prepare for spacecraft separation

KaM49iU.png

p6KtuPF.png

Block V spreads it's wings

fvqYQzf.png

Mission module extraction

1PEf5S2.png

Tr0Ug0T.png

3XNC3As.png

kpFko51.png

After 15 hours, Block V approaches Freedom

NOgBg9K.png

7qLe4OP.png

Docking confirmed

QQQUOsz.png

WtxkznQ.png

5tHI8es.png

After 14 days, the crew wrap-up filming and depart from the Station

nf08BXV.png

iyOtVnL.png

Mission module jettison

WaGzEos.png

Apollo preforms it's deorbit burn and prepares for SM separation

ZtfsP6M.png

iQZkGeY.png

Gasses begin to compress around the CM and generate heat

EWjgNCR.png

qlR5lie.png

Drogue chute deployment

nrhLb7a.png

4orxxTP.png

Mains drawn

EFv3lzp.png

The crew splashdown safely only 2 kilometres from the target zone, close to the coast of Hawaii

Apollo Block V is now certified for Crewed flight, a major step in the Artemis program. Block V spacecraft will soon replace Block IV spacecraft, transporting crew to both Freedom and the moon!

(p.s. english is not my first language)

Edited by towermom9

On 6/21/2022 at 8:12 AM, towermom9 said:

@AmateurAstronaut1969 hey uhh random question but is there like version of ksp and a modlist for this recreation? also what is the mod that adds the robotic arm in the station?

(p.s. english is not my first language)

Robotic arm is HabTech

sorry I’m not publishing a mod list, it’s too much effort because I have probably over 100

for version, I use 1.11.2, it’s the most stable for me

2 hours ago, AmateurAstronaut1969 said:

Robotic arm is HabTech

sorry I’m not publishing a mod list, it’s too much effort because I have probably over 100

for version, I use 1.11.2, it’s the most stable for me

How did your GCSEs go? :) 

22 minutes ago, AmateurAstronaut1969 said:

Great thanks man. I'm an academic person really, so it wasn't too big of a fuss. The real impact was mentally tho, I really didn't expect how stressful and stuff it'd be. I'm good now tho

I feel ya, mocks have been a big change lol

Pegasus first flight - 10th October 1997
Giving wings to the Artemis program

Pegasus ECUS

The ECUS (Exploration Cryogenic Upper Stage) is an essential part of the Artemis program, being the stage which sends all the mission components from LEO to the moon. During it's development, bidding took place between McDonell Douglass, planning for a 6.6m diameter stage, similar to the S-IVB, and Northrop, who recently acquired General Dynamics and was planning on upscaling their Centaur.  McDonell's bid was more expensive, as it required advanced tooling and extra dry mass to produce their inverted bulkhead. Despite it yielding a higher preforming stage, NASA eventually chose Northrop's bid, a 5.5m stage, which was named Pegusas as it gave wings to the Artemis program.

Now, almost half a decade later, Pegasus is preparing to fly, launching partially fuelled on a Saturn M02 and inserting itself into a Heliocentric orbit.

JXEhIGD.png

Fooxl3L.png

Launch commit and liftoff!

os8s3z0.png

HMzjvmq.png

Pegasus pressurisation nominal

akyzbSM.png

We have J-2 chilldown, 43 seconds to sep

OBbfjxy.png

TL1Y2DL.png

We have good indication of Stage Separation

47d2pc8.png

eYqLnOU.png

Pegasus is exposed to the vacuum  of space

FwMKK7q.png

Nominal orbit achieved, commencing Pegasus separation

YL4ZXnx.png

Lnlgnzk.png

After testing systems in LEO, the RL10's ignite to send Pegasus into a Heliocentric orbit

tPG7LZv.png

gyb4ugR.png

Cuttoff

Z4IuDg0.png

With it's tanks fully drained, Pegasus cruises into deep space

MuRL4LQ.png

9x86Izd.png

On 6/27/2022 at 2:55 PM, ra4nd0m said:

So Apollo block V looks very similar to orion capsule while the mission profile is essentially our world artemis just without lop-g. So I assume that crewed missions will be launched atop Saturn H003?

No, it’s nothing like irl Artemis actually. If you want to read it in detail, check the ETS page here, but since that’s spread over many posts and chapters, I’ll summarise it here.

Launch 1 - Cargo lander + Pegasus, 6 months before main mission

Launch 2 - Pegasus

Launch 3 - Apollo & Lander, rendezvous with Pegasus and go to the moon

Apollo doesn’t wait in NRHO, like irl with Orion, but at L2, where JWST is currently.

Wow this is crazy! So pegasus is somehow cryogenicaly cooled or they are launched like gemini agena target vehicle? So how does this stack is supposed to look like? Aren't thrust vector will be retrograde relative to crew like in nasa's saturn venus mission proposal? 

1. Pegasus doesn’t wait long, only a day or so. It’s not too much boiloff.

2. You’ll see in a few posts time the full stack. As we stand, Artemis II will maybe be up tomorrow, Artemis III soon after, and then Artemis IV will be the first landing.

3. Yes, the crews sit “eyes out” like in Apollo Venus or Constellation. It actually isn’t bad for the crew, the G force isn’t too much

8 hours ago, ra4nd0m said:

Wow this is crazy! So pegasus is somehow cryogenicaly cooled or they are launched like gemini agena target vehicle? So how does this stack is supposed to look like? Aren't thrust vector will be retrograde relative to crew like in nasa's saturn venus mission proposal? 

Edited by AmateurAstronaut1969

11 hours ago, AmateurAstronaut1969 said:

Pegasus doesn’t wait long, only a day or so. It’s not too much boiloff.

Sooo if crew launch for some reason had been cancelled the Pegasus deorbits itself? Does things such this ever happend in ETS? 

But 6 Rl-10 design is amazing. Something i've done in ksp myself to provide MOAR thrust.)

BTW I think you made a little mistake. Webb sits in L2 point of Sun-Earth system which is approx 1.5 million km away while the moon is only 384k km. So Apollo should wait in L2 point of Earth-Moon system to provide adequate conditions for such a mission.

Edited by ra4nd0m

5 hours ago, ra4nd0m said:

Sooo if crew launch for some reason had been cancelled the Pegasus deorbits itself? Does things such this ever happend in ETS? 

But 6 Rl-10 design is amazing. Something i've done in ksp myself to provide MOAR thrust.)

BTW I think you made a little mistake. Webb sits in L2 point of Sun-Earth system which is approx 1.5 million km away while the moon is only 384k km. So Apollo should wait in L2 point of Earth-Moon system to provide adequate conditions for such a mission.

Yes, sorry it’s the earth moon L2. My mistake 

Artemis II - 5th February 1998
The Artemis program test flight

All up testing

Issued in 1993, the contract for the Artemis landers went out to Boeing, having recently acquired the Grumman corporation who designed the LM. The design, as similar to the LM it was, was different in many ways. The descent stage for example had to preform the crewed landings, and cargo landings, meaning it needed it's own flight control computers, attitude control system, gyroscopes etc. This was all relatively straightforward however, the difficult part was the surface habitat.

The problem was that the 9t of mass allocated for the surface habitat could only get the crew roughly 70 cubic meters of space, a space that would be cramped, need extensive use of multi-use space, and wouldn't allow for anything aside basic occupation.
Figure 1 below shows the Design reference habitat:
qhO0xzc.png

However, with recent leaps forward in Kevlar and other such woven composites, a team of engineers proposed reducing the fixed hab space to 60 cubic meters, and rotating it to a squat, vertical cylinder. With that extra mass, they proposed they could create a ''loft'', a deployable inflatable habitat, to be used for crew quarters and wardroom space, with a whole extra 60 cubic meters of space.
Figure 2 below shows this upgraded habitat.

fKPjny1.png
This immediately caught traction with the main Artemis surface team, as it could solve the problems of the Hab. A small subscale demonstrator was created and tested in vacuum chambers in 1997, which proved the design worked in space. With the main design then chosen, the team got to work designing a full flight article for Artemis II, known as the Artemis program test flight.

Late Jan 1998, Artemis II rolls out to launch complex 39

uHiqC1g.png

On the pad, Artemis II prepares for liftoff, Feb 5th 1998

BA2dzeH.png

Tank pressure nominal

ZcnrWpf.png

Launch commit

zlSQoWS.png

Liftoff

IvpPwjj.png

vv3YcYl.png

The centre core throttles down to reduce the G load during Max-Q and to conserve fuel for once the boosters separate

mCpvkpf.png

4kPmwKZ.png

Good visual indication of S-IG separation

C1dt8jW.png

9a83XhY.png

Fairing release, exposing the Cargo lander stack

H7bx2oe.png

Stage separation and S-IVC ignition

5ZLh9NG.png

j3OGC5T.png

Separation from the S-IVC, just shy of orbit, leaving Pegasus to complete orbital insertion

nTXX8C0.png

This mission carries a docking adapter between the Lander and the Pegasus, something which isn't planned for use on Artemis cargo lander flights. This is in order to test the LPAS (Large Payload Attachment System) which will join the Pegasus and the crew stack on later missions.

pdbpVG8.png

In order to test it, the lander and Pegasus will undock, move away different differences and redock with a variety of speeds, lighting conditions and angles, in order to prove the LPAS in space.

hGX7EOt.png

Undocking

3iJaKKu.png

yAlYT3G.png

After a day of repeating this, the lander goes for one final test...

0m9yquo.png

pbhTyR9.png

Successful redocking

RY1Ivj5.png

After verifying the LPAS, Artemis II is cleared for TLI, sending it on a trajectory similar to a Lunar insertion, however it will not be going to the moon.

lkH3jCi.png

tUBmJBY.png

RL-10 performance nominal

ZEvW3Id.png

The Pegasus is ow dumped through pyrotechnic separators as it would be during a normal mission

aYkqHmU.png

tgPLSW8.png

The engineers wait anxiously as the loft begins to inflate

W7twHPN.png

So far, no leakages have been detected

airA0PU.png

To test a full descent stage burn, the Lander changes it's orbital inclination up and down by 7 degrees, using it's different engine modes - 3 for LOI and descent, 1 for final descent and 2 for if the centre engine fails.

7K9MF81.png

G89YIjN.png

At earth Apogee, the Lander preforms a final burn to send it into the atmosphere, just as the Pegasus did after separation

NOyLI5o.png

KS6v63r.png

Arriving at earth after a week of testing alone in orbit, the Engineers have verified the lander and are happy for it to be disposed of.  Particular care was taken to monitoring the loft, and the Artemis surface team are happy with it, letting in little radiation, and holding itself against the vacuum of space incredible well.

4yTaeG9.png

Preparing to enter Earth's atmosphere

TkQuybP.png

yzY974q.png

Artemis III - 14th-15th June 1998
The greatest test flight

The relay race

The first crewed flight of the Artemis program would be Artemis III, consisting of a dual launch profile. On June 14th, a Saturn H03 would carry a Pegasus and the Artemis crew lander into LEO to wait for the crew. A day later, the crew would launch abord a Saturn M02 in their Block V spacecraft, and would rendezvous with the Artemis III stack. After this, the mission will follow a similar profile to Artemis II, with the crew boosting into an elliptical earth orbit using the Pegasus. 

Aboard this mission are some of NASA's best pilots:

- Commander Jack Bailey, first commander of Freedom

- Pilot Chris Valente, an equally experienced Pilot

- Kate Vaughn

- James Green

To preform a thorough testing of the lander, the flight plan calls for Bailey and Vaughn to Pilot it away from the Apollo, and over the next couple of days to change the inclination in short burns by a maximum of 7 degrees, aptly named 'the relay race'.

As Artemis III is a similar mission to Apollo 9 & 10, the crew have kept up the tradition of naming the vehicles comedically. Inspired by the relay race in the mission profile, the crew decide to name their lander 'Roadrunner' and call their Block V 'Wile E. Coyote'

Artemis 3A - June 14th

NyJrccB.png

Artemis 3A preparing to launch from LC-39A

CeGEnD4.png

Artemis 3B spectates from LC-39B

fSqdCeg.png

Liftoff

BDbgAOd.png

Passing through Max-Q

yp20Ded.png

Coming up on booster staging

AHaPABW.png

DrFP8pe.png

Fairing jettison

tRST4mO.png 

bWNYLjs.png

Core separation

bP0PRM1.png

o8tg7PZ.png

Y0pSxjQ.png

Pegasus orbital insertion burn

HVx1zAm.png

qKcMsAS.png

Orbit achieved

3wep17M.png

Artemis 3B - June 15th

H5XxSQk.png

F-1 ignition

FEkmXSm.png

Liftoff

mTIZtXd.png

OtPrnDt.png

WvljK2T.png

Pressurisation nominal, Artemis 3B is go at T+ 1 minute

qfKwCIG.png

Pla2cUS.png

Go for staging

DwsNp8Y.png

4jkSXhc.png

DURBt4f.png

Guidance is on target, proceed to orbit

I8qm3bJ.png

Block V separation

1UYX1NZ.png 

fHtO36S.png

Wile E. Coyote prepares to rendezvous with Roadrunner  and Pegasus 03

b6TTMmu.png

At1VLOF.png

1YRe834.png

Go for docking

qU7WLza.png

After a few hours of systems checks, the crew prepares to repeat the LPAS dockings that were demonstrated in Artemis II

UbP626S.png

Redocking

gbHUy0H.png

The crew go for another, longer docking

IXFqLif.png

U0g5RBM.png

After the LPAS system is fully tested, the crew prepare to relight the Pegasus's engines and boost themselves into a high earth orbit, mimicking a lunar return trajectory.

jBPGxWB.png

nCirybX.png

Pegasus separation

LlZ1guJ.png

zlapJRs.png

After a day, Jack Bailey and Kate Vaughn board Roadrunner

yTUXuH9.png

Under the supervision of Wile E. Coyote, Jack Bailey does a spacewalk from the Airlock to check if it's functioning

BUJFquV.png

Roadrunner uses its RCS to depart, before firing up it's engines 30m later and beginning the relay race

DiaAiR4.png

fkSfOk2.png

After a day of altering it's inclination back and forth, Roadrunner's descent stage is close to empty

DyMG0BN.png

The Ascent stage separates from it's cradle, preparing to light it's Russian S5.92 Hypergolic pressure-fed engines. The Engineers had to look outside of the US in order to get the performance required for the ascent stage, looking to Russia where they had squeezed the absolute maximum out of Hypergols and pressure-fed engines, resulting in an extra 10s or 20s or ISP more than American designs.

Q8b7eJs.png

Ignition

WHzeNTU.png

OSOq9Cq.png

After another day, Roadrunner rendezvouses with Wile E. Coyote

m3cmmda.png

nbuUU6t.png

czmWkfZ.png

Docking

qavEU61.png

The crew does a burn to put them on a trajectory that will land them off the coast of Hawaii, simulating a Lunar return burn

PrxzgEA.png 

HWtsi5j.png

Roadrunner is jettisoned, which has been acting as the mission module for the crew 

5IIOSa4.png

A couple of hours later, the crew prepare for SM separation

yaJb8Ac.png 

r6hxJvW.png

Wile E. Coyote reorients itself, preforming the skip reentry first done on Artemis I

iP6X9PH.png

First pass

tDSbj8Z.png

Second pass

52HtX1M.png

Drogues out

NAwxisX.png

Mains deployed

we97Bml.png

Artemis III splashdown

kAT1ILa.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.