KSP 2 flightsim/simpit possabilities?

aSIM

Nothing has been confirmed, but in feature video 5 there is an indication that there will be native support for flight sim gear as someone is shown using a flight sim stick. Nothing on 3D rendering so far, but you can always try IVA view. 

You must remember though, it's Kerbal Space Program.   It's primary focus has always been spaceflight, with aero flight being a necessary spinoff of that.  KSP has always had a simplified systems simulation; you throttle up, engines go vroom.  No need to manage various aspects of each engine.  Even including all action groups, the number of available controls has been rather limited when you compare it to a true flight sim.  There have been mods that allow for custom Arduino control boxes, with readouts and navballs, for a decade now.    You could already build a full mockup of..... something... already, it would just be quite limited in the number of controls that do anything.  

So, yeah, the ability to do a full sim rig should be there, and probably a lot easier than KSP 1, but  I wouldn't expect to be able to do much more than a HOTAS setup with a small custom box of toggles and things that light up.      

I would love more detailed IVA flight decks that integrate instruments, sensors, map view, hull cameras etc. Guess that would enhance the flight sim feeling.

Edited by Vl3d

A real requirement would be the ability to use separate monitors to display information and touchscreen abilities to create MFDs. Plus multi-monitor visuals. it's less about buttons and more about being able to create a modern glass flight deck. And for sure whatever you make I'm sure it would need to be heavily modded.  The ability to unlock those IVA displays and use them on another device is critical. 

The only thing I hope is that simple HOTAS works; being able to use a stick/throttle combo with some keybinds.

Mind you - I never did any of that in KSP (even where mods may have allowed for it) - I just think it would be fun to be able to build a plane and fly it with the stick and throttle.

Assuming KSP 2 is as moddable as KSP 1, I'm sure mods like KSPSerialIO will get ported over. But it may take time since there seems to be less activity in the scene right now compared to previous years. 

On 4/18/2022 at 3:21 PM, aSIM said:

A real requirement would be the ability to use separate monitors to display information and touchscreen abilities to create MFDs. Plus multi-monitor visuals. it's less about buttons and more about being able to create a modern glass flight deck. And for sure whatever you make I'm sure it would need to be heavily modded.  The ability to unlock those IVA displays and use them on another device is critical. 

I actually have a mod + external program for this, though I suck at packaging distributables so it may be a bit difficult to set up.

Edited by c4ooo

What I'm hoping for, and all they would need to do really is UDP support for controls and readouts like what sim racing titles have. That's what runs external dashboards and motion rigs. As long as all the data is there someone will take up the charge and do sim dash pugin. Hotas is small potatoes. I want external gauges, motion support. 

If you are interested about custom made controller for kerbal, you can find on youtube, even i have made a custom controller!

here is my video:

(is in Italian, so...sorry for that, but...i'm Italian :) )

is a prototype, but hey, kinda works... and it cost me about 40€ and you can build it as you want, and on Amazon you can find the button for arcade machine with microcontroller and free software for fully custom option, and NO arduino is needed!

You know, I do like the idea of a simpit, I just don't have the space for one, or at least I don't think I do.

The thing that I'm much more interested in is general joystick/HOTAS/game controller support for the "piloting a vessel" portion of playing KSP (the mouse and keyboard work pretty dang well for the "VAB/SPH" portion of playing KSP).

To be more specific, I'd love to be able to have a HOTAS that has your standard controls for pitch/yaw/roll (rotation axes), but then also allows me to use additional analog axes to SIMULTANEOUSLY control translation, like you can in Elite:Dangerous (if you have the right HOTAS for it), and then perhaps EVEN MORE analog axes to be able to INDEPENDENTLY control any kind of wheels that might exist on the craft (rover wheels with motors, or simply landing gear without motors, it doesn't make that much difference to me).

For far too long I have had to contend with the only way of controlling my rover competently being to disable all reaction wheels on it before driving, because the controls are linked (so pressing W makes the wheels push the craft forward, but it ALSO makes the craft pitch down with the reaction wheels or RCS). Yes, I could probably sort of take care of that by adjusting the key bindings, but a far superior method would be to have ENTIRELY SEPARATE CONTROLS for those ENTIRELY SEPARATE FUNCTIONS.
I'd finally be able to react fast enough to my rovers starting to flip over that maybe they wouldn't even leave their wheels before I put in corrections, because I'd have simultaneous full control over roll axes, translational thrust, AND the wheels, all independently, all the time, without having to mess about with setting up special action groups to switch modes from "attitude control" to "driving mode" to "RCS translation mode (which also requires me to move my left hand from WASD to IJKLHN), so maybe I wouldn't have a hatred for rovers that burns brighter than 1000 suns, like I do right now (so much hatred that I just build suborbital hoppers instead, and I'd even use suborbital hoppers on Tylo or Eve, I hate rovers in KSP THAT DANG MUCH).
Unfortunately, it seems that such an idea makes far too much sense to be implemented into KSP 1.

EDIT: And yes, if I couldn't find a good HOTAS that was compatible with KSP 2, I would probably consider building my own. I'm quite good at soldering, and I already have a Dremel along with other tools useful for construction of such a thing, the only issue would be finding the ideal placement of the various buttons, joysticks, and other analog axes.

Edited by SciMan