The Kerbal Space Podcast!

N9 Gaming

Thanks I'll be sure to ask him! The software modules you bring up, I could see that being a plugin rather than ever needing parts at all, but it reminds me of the sort of automated supply runs that were mentioned by the developers - I really wanna know how that's going to work

We'll be recording the next episode with The Beardy Penguin soon! this Sunday, episode will air Monday or Tuesday depending on my free time (: We won't meet the usual Monday upload again this week as plans tend to pop up unfortunately. I will let you all know when to expect the next episode when I know for sure. (:

Edited by N9 Gaming
Update

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2022 at 1:09 AM, Zozaf Kerman said:

How long until the series is up on Apple Podcasts?

We've had a few people ask about Apple podcasts now, I had issues with them in the past as well as recently regarding getting accounts set up, so honest I simply haven't bothered with really sitting down and ensuring the cast went up there - can't say it's a priority unfortunately!

However in better the news the next episode is up on BuzzSprout! https://thekerbalspacepodcast.buzzsprout.com/. I believe they'll take some time distributing to other sources however, and the YouTube video is uploading right now so just a matter of hours before that's all set. Cheers!

Here you go (Nate Simpson interview, it's longer than the quote):

Spoiler

Well, you have revealed to me that there will be multiple resources you can harvest to make the building of certain modular components possible!

Nate Simpson: This is correct. There is a much wider variety of resources that you can harvest. We even have a system that lives alongside the colony system that's called delivery routes, and what it allows you to do is automate resource collection and resource transfer missions that start and end at a colony. So, if I want to just go dig up some stuff somewhere with a specialized drilling vehicle, and then bring it back to a colony? Once I return to the colony, I can make that a delivery route. And then I will continue to receive that amount of that resource in perpetuity, and I can move forward to go find other stuff.

Similarly, when I'm transferring resources from one colony to another, I can automate those kinds of missions as well. So, there are many more resources in KSP 2 than there were in KSP 1, and some of them are very far flung or involve the conquering of a new physics challenge or a new kind of mission in order to access that resource. We think it really enriches the gameplay, and once you've achieved that mission, you're rewarded with a new capability. You're rewarded with a new kind of part that you can build or a new kind of vehicle architecture.

In my mind, it's a pretty compelling player goal. You get new capabilities when you find these things.

If I understand correctly: when a player pulls off a successful mission to a new planet, new moon, or new asteroid, they unlock the ability to send automated cargo ships between that location and the location they started from, using the same flight path they manually flew?

Nate Simpson: It's a little simpler than that even. It's really just: if you go dig up some rock somewhere and bring them back to a colony, you can automate that mission. If you've gone to a new place that has a new kind of rock on it, then feel free to bring it back and automate that mission.

That does sound like a much more straightforward way to go about it.

Nate Simpson: We just didn't want people to get to spend huge amounts of time grinding on getting a certain amount of a resource to a vehicle construction location. We feel like once you've solved the challenge of accessing and obtaining a resource, the real fun lies in then leveraging that capability to seek out some new challenge as opposed to repeating the same mission over and over.

https://screenrant.com/nate-simpson-interview-kerbal-space-program-2/
Edited by Vl3d

11 hours ago, Vl3d said:

Here you go (Nate Simpson interview, it's longer than the quote):

Hide contents

Well, you have revealed to me that there will be multiple resources you can harvest to make the building of certain modular components possible!

Nate Simpson: This is correct. There is a much wider variety of resources that you can harvest. We even have a system that lives alongside the colony system that's called delivery routes, and what it allows you to do is automate resource collection and resource transfer missions that start and end at a colony. So, if I want to just go dig up some stuff somewhere with a specialized drilling vehicle, and then bring it back to a colony? Once I return to the colony, I can make that a delivery route. And then I will continue to receive that amount of that resource in perpetuity, and I can move forward to go find other stuff.

Similarly, when I'm transferring resources from one colony to another, I can automate those kinds of missions as well. So, there are many more resources in KSP 2 than there were in KSP 1, and some of them are very far flung or involve the conquering of a new physics challenge or a new kind of mission in order to access that resource. We think it really enriches the gameplay, and once you've achieved that mission, you're rewarded with a new capability. You're rewarded with a new kind of part that you can build or a new kind of vehicle architecture.

In my mind, it's a pretty compelling player goal. You get new capabilities when you find these things.

If I understand correctly: when a player pulls off a successful mission to a new planet, new moon, or new asteroid, they unlock the ability to send automated cargo ships between that location and the location they started from, using the same flight path they manually flew?

Nate Simpson: It's a little simpler than that even. It's really just: if you go dig up some rock somewhere and bring them back to a colony, you can automate that mission. If you've gone to a new place that has a new kind of rock on it, then feel free to bring it back and automate that mission.

That does sound like a much more straightforward way to go about it.

Nate Simpson: We just didn't want people to get to spend huge amounts of time grinding on getting a certain amount of a resource to a vehicle construction location. We feel like once you've solved the challenge of accessing and obtaining a resource, the real fun lies in then leveraging that capability to seek out some new challenge as opposed to repeating the same mission over and over.

https://screenrant.com/nate-simpson-interview-kerbal-space-program-2/

Cheers! Yeah that's what we've been referencing for a while. I still have speculations and questions about this: like for instance, are resources that are automatically gathered like this simply a number that goes up a set amount at set time intervals? Or will there be some simulated vessel that actually travels to said destination and back? I'm assuming it's going to be + resources after X time interval based on the "delivery route" mission we flew. If that's the case, how will it work with complicated vessels that required ditching several stages along the way? ... Typing this I know realize this system likely flourishes with colonies and outposts that are able to construct stages and mine fuel right then and there so maybe it's nothing to worry about. I'm reeeeeally excited to try this out for myself soon :D

8 hours ago, N9 Gaming said:

are resources that are automatically gathered like this simply a number that goes up a set amount at set time intervals?

One of the biggest mysteries of KSP2. I can't find the source, but I remember someone from the dev team saying that ~were going to see a lot of people coming and going because of the delivery routes system~.

So I'm optimistic every vessel will actually be simulated and visible.

This also logically implies a stock autopilot and "keyframe" navigation. Even with complex multistage craft it 's really nothing that advanced for 2023 levels of gaming AI, except if advanced orbital slingshot maneuvers are used.

Even so, in space everything loops. We could have a really efficient delivery every 35 years. :))

Edited by Vl3d

12 hours ago, Vl3d said:

One of the biggest mysteries of KSP2. I can't find the source, but I remember someone from the dev team saying that ~were going to see a lot of people coming and going because of the delivery routes system~.

So I'm optimistic every vessel will actually be simulated and visible.

This also logically implies a stock autopilot and "keyframe" navigation. Even with complex multistage craft it 's really nothing that advanced for 2023 levels of gaming AI, except if advanced orbital slingshot maneuvers are used.

Even so, in space everything loops. We could have a really efficient delivery every 35 years. :))

Right! I remember that too actually! Now I'm wondering how it will work between moons, planets, and indeed other stars - given that transfer windows between celestial bodies are definitely a factor with Hohmann transfers. Of course Brachistochrone trajectories, once possible, don't necessarily care about transfer windows for any other reason than to avoid colliding with other planets or Suns... gah I just want to know more!

I know his has been the subject of the podcasts, and will probably continue to be so, but we’d like to contain KSP2 topics to the  KSP2 sub forum.   We really don’t need free range KSP2 topics wandering about, getting out of containment.   

Feel free to discuss the podcast itself here, but any topical discussions about KSP and  KSP2 should be in their respective sub forums.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.