SOL: High Fidelity Graphics for KSRSS - Wen Release?!?

G'th

Glad to hear you're doing ok. Welcome any mods built on KSRSS, and interesting to read about the various ideas of True vs. Vibrance - quite an interesting idea: given the amount of false colour NASA photos we're used to, vs. reality (grab a telescope - Saturn, et. al. are a literal eye opener).

Glad there'll be a potato option, even though I don't have a potato, I prefer lighter modes for playing, and the option to switch for pretty photos. KSRSS with 32K textures is quite demanding on load times.

Also, I'm sure you have, but Gas Giants Expanded (and GGE Moons) are quite fantastic and work with KSRSS.

FYI: I tried suporting your brilliant Ultimate Shuttle IVAs in my own mod "Reviva" (allows switching IVA with B9PartSwitch), unfortunately the glass one and MAS are not getting along so well in 1.12.3, and I couldn't quite work out why. I think it's the best Shuttle IVA.

Edited by 610yesnolovely

1 hour ago, 610yesnolovely said:

Glad to hear you're doing ok. Welcome any mods built on KSRSS, and interesting to read about the various ideas of True vs. Vibrance - quite an interesting idea: given the amount of false colour NASA photos we're used to, vs. reality (grab a telescope - Saturn, et. al. are a literal eye opener).

Glad there'll be a potato option, even though I don't have a potato, I prefer lighter modes for playing, and the option to switch for pretty photos. KSRSS with 32K textures is quite demanding on load times.

Also, I'm sure you have, but Gas Giants Expanded (and GGE Moons) are quite fantastic and work with KSRSS.

FYI: I tried suporting your brilliant Ultimate Shuttle IVAs in my own mod "Reviva" (allows switching IVA with B9PartSwitch), unfortunately the glass one and MAS are not getting along so well in 1.12.3, and I couldn't quite work out why. I think it's the best Shuttle IVA.

Yeah it was kind of amusing when I found GGE, as it seemed like that user had some of the same ideas I did for those bodies. Mine are still going to be suitably different, but it definitely wasn't lost on me the work that went into those. 

And yeah USIVA has been abandonware for a while unfortunately, for the same reason Ad Astra and SOL got put on hold for three years. But unfortunately I pretty much lost all of the knowledge I had on doing IVA's so getting it back up to spec would be a pain and a half. But from what I know, the problem probably stems from the hacky kitbash of MAS and RPM props in that release, which was necessary at the time, but I would think by now it should just be able to go all MAS, unless no one ever converted the props over. 

But, my issue is also that of the Shuttle mods available, they either don't work or I don't like them for various reasons. SOCK is okay and works, but having to kitbash to make a Block II is something I very much dislike, which is why I was always a Cormorant stan, which is unfortunately in an unadoptable limbo as long as Firespitter is still broken. If Cormorant was adoptable I'd probably have snatched it up if someone else already hadn't, but the lack of a satisfactory Shuttle tends to keep my motivation to try and pick back up the IVA pretty low. 

I've always had the thought of doing a pack myself, though. Most Shuttle mods just focus on the US Orbiter or just the one Buran variant, and its understandable why, but for me through my research for my alternate history, I've been exposed to a ton of different Shuttle configurations that would all make for awesome parts, and what Shuttle mods touch only barely scratches the surface. It tends to seem like the people who start up Shuttle mods never seem to maintain enough interest to go farther, and in some cases even finish what they started, which is disappointing. 

But, my experience with modelling is virtually nonexistent and everytime I've tried I just face a brick wall with trying to learn Blender. Yet to find a tutorial to follow that ever made that program click for me, so that idea just remains a fantasy. 

1 hour ago, G'th said:

Yeah it was kind of amusing when I found GGE, as it seemed like that user had some of the same ideas I did for those bodies. Mine are still going to be suitably different, but it definitely wasn't lost on me the work that went into those. 

And yeah USIVA has been abandonware for a while unfortunately, for the same reason Ad Astra and SOL got put on hold for three years. But unfortunately I pretty much lost all of the knowledge I had on doing IVA's so getting it back up to spec would be a pain and a half. But from what I know, the problem probably stems from the hacky kitbash of MAS and RPM props in that release, which was necessary at the time, but I would think by now it should just be able to go all MAS, unless no one ever converted the props over. 

But, my issue is also that of the Shuttle mods available, they either don't work or I don't like them for various reasons. SOCK is okay and works, but having to kitbash to make a Block II is something I very much dislike, which is why I was always a Cormorant stan, which is unfortunately in an unadoptable limbo as long as Firespitter is still broken. If Cormorant was adoptable I'd probably have snatched it up if someone else already hadn't, but the lack of a satisfactory Shuttle tends to keep my motivation to try and pick back up the IVA pretty low. 

I've always had the thought of doing a pack myself, though. Most Shuttle mods just focus on the US Orbiter or just the one Buran variant, and its understandable why, but for me through my research for my alternate history, I've been exposed to a ton of different Shuttle configurations that would all make for awesome parts, and what Shuttle mods touch only barely scratches the surface. It tends to seem like the people who start up Shuttle mods never seem to maintain enough interest to go farther, and in some cases even finish what they started, which is disappointing. 

But, my experience with modelling is virtually nonexistent and everytime I've tried I just face a brick wall with trying to learn Blender. Yet to find a tutorial to follow that ever made that program click for me, so that idea just remains a fantasy. 

There are a lot of shuttle elements that deserve some representation, hopefully somebody comes along and releases a new block II parts pack or something along those lines

Seldom do I find myself as excited for a mod than I am for this! I played with Ad Astra prior to moving to KSRSS a little over a year ago and I always missed the legendary visuals I had left behind. I cannot wait to play with this!

Edited by Kuiper_Belt

5 hours ago, 610yesnolovely said:

One day, when I have a spare couple of months (ie. probably never) I'd love to learn Blender, Unity, KSP part tools and make an IVA with one dial. I salute any person who makes a decent IVA. That's some work.

They're surprisingly easy to tweak and play with once you get through the initial set up hurdles. Actually populating an IVA is the easy part. Its prop creation and the set up to be able to place props at all that becomes a righteous pain to deal with. 

But fortunately ASET Props pretty much covers most props any one could want short of deathly accurate historical representations, but even then in some cases, so unless you really want to go bespoke then you only have to deal with the set up, which involves a lot of dinking around in Unity and sometimes Blender. 

2 hours ago, Kuiper_Belt said:

Seldom do I find myself as excited for a mod than I am for this! I played with Ad Astra prior to moving to KSRSS a little over a year ago and I always missed the legendary visuals I had left behind. I cannot wait to play with this!

That was actually a big reason why I've been wanting to do Sol, because while I enjoy JNSQ as the "Stock Plus" system, I wanted to do RSS (without the headache that is actual RSS

Today was spent on getting Ad Astra up to date, so starting tomorrow mores going to go into Sol, I'll likely get Earth/Moon up and going and start doing dev releases system by system. 

Days like today make me realize why I really dislike a lot of modders in this community. Way too much toxicity for a game about frog people launching rockets. 

But anyway, omw home and we'll be working on Earth today. So that'll be fun. 

And another set before I call it quits for the night. I'm actually beginning to think I might skip the static clouds and go straight for dynamic ones; namely because it'll be easier to get more interesting screenshots when the clouds are randomized :P

Also just to clarify whats being seen with the screenshots I'm sharing, these are experiments. While I have a good idea of what I want the thing to look like in the end, I'm trying to stretch EVE and Scatterer as much as I can so I can see what all I can do with it. 

So while these shots may look great (or bad, who knows) nothings final. 

axJM9Gh.png

UdxzISt.png

WvxHYkr.png

OXsYvlR.png

1hO0zhK.png

Did you notice that your main sunflare texture is noticeably truncated at the ends? I first saw this in the Ad Astra pack, which I think uses the same sunflare. It's not a huge deal, but once you notice, it can be kind of distracting.

On 4/21/2022 at 9:42 PM, G'th said:

axJM9Gh.png

UdxzISt.png

4 minutes ago, fleventeen said:

Did you notice that your main sunflare texture is noticeably truncated at the ends? I first saw this in the Ad Astra pack, which I think uses the same sunflare. It's not a huge deal, but once you notice, it can be kind of distracting.

Indeed it is. I made some adjustments to it for my gameplay install and its a lot less prominent (though still sort of there if you zoom in hella far into it). I'll mess with it some more at some point and then I'll distribute it. 

k1m39xY.png

On 4/19/2022 at 12:53 PM, G'th said:

Looking at some of the work you've posted here, I'm really interested in seeing what you can bring to the table. :)

8 minutes ago, ballisticfox0 said:

Looking at some of the work you've posted here, I'm really interested in seeing what you can bring to the table. :)

look hear me out, if you two were to collaborate it could be amazing, like you both basically already make mods about similar things...

So I figured out a neat technique for getting more depth into the clouds. 

chcJpRI.png

kkkPMl1.png

39PVqsT.png

MxLSQqO.png

And some more progress on the Typhoon.

r1hchxX.png

The occasional double wall will just have to be a thing, but it it is randomized now and will appear in different shapes (and sometimes not at all)) over time. 

it still looks wonky if you try to watch it move, but thats a limitation of EVE. Not much to be done about that. 

27 minutes ago, G'th said:

The occasional double wall will just have to be a thing, but it it is randomized now and will appear in different shapes (and sometimes not at all)) over time. 

it still looks wonky if you try to watch it move, but thats a limitation of EVE. Not much to be done about that. 

This may be asking a lot, but can you show a video of this in particular? I am not entirely sure what this means.

2 minutes ago, fleventeen said:

This may be asking a lot, but can you show a video of this in particular? I am not entirely sure what this means.

Sure thing. I'm working on adjusting the main clouds atm so it'll be a hot minute.