A mod that places you in the middle of a globular cluster?

Globular clusters are very interesting places that as far as I know have never been featured in the game and they are cool because stars are very densely packed. This is why the sent some radio signals to them because the higher amount of stars increases the chance for life. I read some article also speculating that since stars are closer interstellar travel would be easier and we might see signs of a civilization trying to colonize its cluster or an ongoing war between two species inside one. So it would be nice to have a mod that places you on a new homeworld in the middle of a globular cluster with many big giant stars, black holes, neutron stars, and any other type literally at your doorstep some as close as 1 light year and the grand centerpiece would be a black hole at the center for you to check out. Maybe a mod that places you in the area of a cluster but not inside of it so you have to fly to it yourself. Anyway I just thought it would be a good idea because it would make interstellar travel more easier and also give you a mini "galaxy" to fly around. 

That's a lot of stars. A LOT OF STARS. In fact, you could say it's full of stars.
You'd need to use procedural generation out the wazoo to even get close to such a result, and probably run into pretty hard software and, worse, hardware limitations trying to render even less than 1% of all that in Unity.

Let's not mention how pointless it is all, in fact, compared to maybe half a dozen handcrafted systems. Running a few planet packs with distances tweaked down majorly would be more expedient, lighter, and effectively deliver what you are describing without needing to own a modern supercomputer.

Edited by Axelord FTW

12 hours ago, Axelord FTW said:

That's a lot of stars. A LOT OF STARS. In fact, you could say it's full of stars.
You'd need to use procedural generation out the wazoo to even get close to such a result, and probably run into pretty hard software and, worse, hardware limitations trying to render even less than 1% of all that in Unity.

Let's not mention how pointless it is all, in fact, compared to maybe half a dozen handcrafted systems. Running a few planet packs with distances tweaked down majorly would be more expedient, lighter, and effectively deliver what you are describing without needing to own a modern supercomputer.

there are just normal star clusters out there with 10-100 or so stars and they can be located inside nebulas (maybe lots of protostars) so that could also be viable if u arent willing to procedurally generate an entire cluster but look at space engine. they can do that easily

Edited by awsumguy76801

You mean to say open clusters, then. Globular clusters can't really stay coherent (for long) with less than 15,000 stellar masses, and most are much bigger than that. GCs are unstable because most stellar ejections would be unrecoverable, and they will evaporate quicker and quicker as they lose mass.
Ten to a hundred stars is still overkill, both in terms of design space and software/hardware limitations. Handcrafted worlds are always better, and there's no reason to go through all the trouble of making a PG program that will still, in the end, generate singular star systems and burden the heck out of the game until it runs into memory lock. There's no absolute upper limit, but anything more than 30 worlds generated in KSP is generally considered to be a bad idea. I'm currently running something of that magnitude on a pretty high-end PC at the moment, and even I'm feeling like I'm butting my head against a wall.

Simply put, KSP1 is just not suitable.

Edited by Axelord FTW

7 hours ago, Axelord FTW said:

You mean to say open clusters, then. Globular clusters can't really stay coherent (for long) with less than 15,000 stellar masses, and most are much bigger than that. GCs are unstable because most stellar ejections would be unrecoverable, and they will evaporate quicker and quicker as they lose mass.
Ten to a hundred stars is still overkill, both in terms of design space and software/hardware limitations. Handcrafted worlds are always better, and there's no reason to go through all the trouble of making a PG program that will still, in the end, generate singular star systems and burden the heck out of the game until it runs into memory lock. There's no absolute upper limit, but anything more than 30 worlds generated in KSP is generally considered to be a bad idea. I'm currently running something of that magnitude on a pretty high-end PC at the moment, and even I'm feeling like I'm butting my head against a wall.

Simply put, KSP1 is just not suitable.

galaxies unbound adds 10+ star systems i believe so i think its viable to pack some star systems like that into a maybe 5 ly radius. it could be like the pleiades cluster with some prominent blue stars and smaller yellow and orange stars maybe some black hole lurking around and maybe even a rogue planet which would be an extremely hard target but an awesome pitch black one indeed

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.