Your plans for KSP2

First off, for moderators, please don't merge this with the first KSP2 mission thread. It's a similar topic, not the same one.

With that out of the way, i'd love if you shared your ideas for things you are going to do in KSP2! For me, i'm planning to do some epic spaceships that have an orion drive in one end, metallic hydrogen engines in the other, and crew cabins in the middle.

In single player, I want a base on every planet with a VAB that I can launch planes and rovers from to explore the planet. My plans for craft design are to have a few distinct classes of ships with different tech and capabilities. I haven’t decided the names yet but here they are:

scrapyard-style hoppers with good ol’ methalox

sleek ground, water and air vehicles (any tech)

Sleek small space planes using methalox and jets

Boxy cargo spaceplanes using nuclear ramjets (if available) and Orion drives

In space only:

Crude raw material cargo ships with Orion drives

More futuristic processed cargo with ion engines

Kerbal transport is just with whatever tech I have, but bulk kerbal transport will have a space balls themed style (super long ships)

Interstellar cargo in a spherical shape with Daedalus engines

and torch drives are reserved for luxury space planes and mmH is reserved for difficult locations, where it will replace whatever tech was there. 

And in multiplayer, since I don’t know people who know how to play KSP, I will be filling in gaps in space infrastructure while developing my own full space empire. 

Edited by t_v

2 minutes ago, Maria Sirona said:

Yes but the game itself

Without knowing anything about the gameplay I imagine I will do what I do in KSP, make every celestial body in  the universe my fuel station. That said I've never gone interstellar so I'll probably fail hilariously for a while.

Honestly I just wanna build some sick mothership to go around colonizing the Kerbolar system. May or may not also want to try building Interplanetary Ballistic Missiles for my friend’s colonies in multiplayer :D

Check out all of the new parts in the VAB, but then start with sounding rockets and ballistic missile tests, then a satellite, then flinging something past the Mun, and so and so on. Eventually it will be totally epic getting around to interstellar travel. This may take years IRL (I got KSP in 2020 but still have not really ventured out beyond Eve and Duna).

Starting a new save and just building a simple Orion or Daedalus and going interstellar right away would not be very satisfying for me personally, even though it is a highlight of the game.

16 minutes ago, SunlitZelkova said:

Check out all of the new parts in the VAB, but then start with sounding rockets and ballistic missile tests, then a satellite, then flinging something past the Mun, and so and so on. Eventually it will be totally epic getting around to interstellar travel. This may take years IRL (I got KSP in 2020 but still have not really ventured out beyond Eve and Duna).

Starting a new save and just building a simple Orion or Daedalus and going interstellar right away would not be very satisfying for me personally, even though it is a highlight of the game.

Yes. I agree 100%

I'll probably just play through career mode at the start (or whatever the new "adventure mode" equivalent is), but I might also start a sandbox game to make some planes--I'm excited to explore and see the terrain improvements on Kerbin specifically. I will also definitely be building space shuttle and ISS replicas at some point (which I have tried to do in KSP 1, but glitches and lag have conspired to make me lose interest).

7 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

I don't know, to go for interstellar trip using just starting parts gonna be fun :rolleyes: If it doesn't fit the VAB - get docking port as fast as possible and build this ship in orbit.

This is a very... BIG... question.

I'll probably start off in SandBox mode to get a feel for the mechanics, and some of the tech available. I won't go any further than LEO though... once I feel I've got a grasp on the game mechanics I'll start my REAL adventure in career mode.

In career mode I plan on going very slow... starting with a LEO base, then build a base on the Mun, and from there slowly expand to each planet; building up infrastructure as I go.

Once the solar system has been thoroughly explored and built out, then I'll start setting my sights on interstellar travel.

However, the above being said...this game could be extremely large in scope...so I may run down a few rabbit holes along the way.

**I'm sure there will be more than a few easter-eggs in the game...maybe a new civilization is found, a long lost "atlantis" type kerbal society that unlocks new tech/parts or kerbal skins...who knows

Edited by saxappeal89129

First, I plan to avoid looking at any wikis, delta-V maps, etc.  I'll see how much I can explore based only on in-game information, my own calculations, and scouting probes. (I'm taking bets on how long I can actually hold off on looking, especially when I'm at work and have access to a web browser but not KSP2.)

I also plan on exploring the colonization system, which I don't think we have much information about yet.  Can I build a Mun colony early and do most of my rocket assembly there, so I can launch stupid fantastically shaped rockets without caring about aerodynamics?  Can I build an Eve colony that can actually do something useful while they wait for me to discover enough engine tech to get them home?  Can I successfully bootstrap an entire Joolian colony network from a single ship (which might be good practice for a later interstellar mission)?

I just hope the replacement for Career Mode is interesting enough to do all this.  I've spent less than 0.1% of my KSP1 time in Science and Sandbox modes combined.

Edited by HenryBlatbugIII

On 4/24/2022 at 12:10 AM, HenryBlatbugIII said:

my own calculations

I always thought it'd be fun to play KSP with a lot of  maths and less trial-and-error, but I never knew how to get started.

Sandbox, sandbox, sandbox. Hours of of sandbox using the tutorials learning to do missions outside of kerbin's SEO.

I also plan on learning as much as I can about the new features/worrying about that new radiation icon in the VAB.

attempt to launch a kerbal using an orion drive.