Your plans for KSP2

1 hour ago, LHACK4142 said:

I always thought it'd be fun to play KSP with a lot of  maths and less trial-and-error, but I never knew how to get started.

I highly recomment kOS for this kind of challenge

On 5/2/2022 at 8:55 AM, blankets said:

Build a space station to surf just above planet rings, or watch as a space station collides with many many rocks very fast

I think that since the ring rocks are in an orbit, any orbit not in the exact same plane will cross the rings at some point; so you will get your collisions eventually from a "ring surfing" orbit (if ring collisions in KSP 2 are still a thing; I think they are supposed to be, right?)

It's going to be like.... I'm not sure... First: I'll take 10 minutes to appreciate the menu.

Second: I'll visit the tracking station and look at everything. EVERYTHING.

Third: Spend hours looking at the parts list.

Fourth: Build a rocket.

Fifth: Profit.

1 hour ago, Catto said:

It's going to be like.... I'm not sure... First: I'll take 10 minutes to appreciate the menu.

Second: I'll visit the tracking station and look at everything. EVERYTHING.

Third: Spend hours looking at the parts list.

Fourth: Build a rocket.

Fifth: Profit.

Mostly the samething but binge watch the tutorials check parts and build mission to the mun then build giant motherships cause I like doing that

1 hour ago, darthgently said:

I think that since the ring rocks are in an orbit, any orbit not in the exact same plane will cross the rings at some point; so you will get your collisions eventually from a "ring surfing" orbit (if ring collisions in KSP 2 are still a thing; I think they are supposed to be, right?)

You could theoretically surf above the rings vertically, by having your orbit be right outside of a ring (not above/below), but i don’t think it would look as cool. 

2 hours ago, darthgently said:

Yeah, you're right about that one. If there are gaps in the rings, perhaps I'll stick it in there as some sort of quasi-shepherd moon. I also didn't think about if you're in orbit alongside the debris, you will be going near the same speed instead of "surfing" on it. Having a high eccentricity would allow you to do glide on top, but only at a certain timeframe of your orbit.

I believe the rocks in rings are collidable, so rings will mess you up big time if you fly into one.

12 hours ago, Fletch4 said:

literally, google the cheat menu code and teleport a rover to every new body to see what it looks like firsthand

This minimizes your reward for landing there the first time.

Edited by Vl3d

On 5/4/2022 at 12:05 AM, LHACK4142 said:

I always thought it'd be fun to play KSP with a lot of  maths and less trial-and-error, but I never knew how to get started.

Parts of it would be extremely difficult (hence the scouting probes so I lose money instead of Kerbals with that trial-and-error).  Finding the optimal flight path through an atmosphere to orbit requires a detailed description of KSP's drag model, calculating transfers between planets with different inclinations requires solving Lambert's Problem, etc.

However, if you're outside of an atmosphere and the planets' and moons' orbits are close to circular with approximately the same inclination, you can do a lot of it with AP-level physics* (or since you said "maths", maybe A-level physics).  Find an advanced high-school-level or introductory university-level textbook, read the chapters on the rocket equation and on orbital mechanics, and get your algebra on.  The intuition that you might have from playing KSP1 (e.g. burning prograde does this, a planetary transfer looks like that, etc.) will be extremely helpful in setting up the equations.

*Disclaimer: as a professional physicist, I see a large difference between "AP-level physics" and "extremely difficult".  YMMV.

I'm more of a "I want it now and I don't give a damn about waiting" kind of person.

15 hours ago, Vl3d said:

This minimizes your reward for landing there the first time.

I'm more of a "I want it now and I don't give a damn about waiting" kind of person.

well, that's just glitchy...

6 minutes ago, Fletch4 said:

Me too. Then I spoiled Outer Wilds for myself and realised how shallow I was making my experience of everything. You should try a bit of patience some time, you don't realise how cheap instant gratification is until you're not making yourself dependant on it.

On 4/29/2022 at 9:08 AM, tater said:

Not buy it unless they have a linux and Mac version (even though I have a couple PCs around here, no, wait, 3 right now).

Cool... I'll be sure to post plenty of pictures from my Windows platform...be happy to assist you with your self depravation.

On 5/9/2022 at 2:54 PM, Fletch4 said:

well, that's just glitchy...

That would be 99.9% of people these days...so you're just like everyone else, sorry to say.

well, before hand i would spend a couple of hours looking at the specs of the planets to create an overcomplicated rover to conquer the terrain and try to get land speed records...

I plan to playthrough the basic early stuff, get sick of the tech tree and start integrating the SIMPLEX mods, starting with Tech Tree.

In terms of resources I suspect that there will be a different model to work with and it may be the SIMPLEX pares it back rather than extending it.

Thank the anti-kraken that a basic life support will be in the game. (that's my hope!) 

• 1 month later...

I personally have the goal of mass colonization. I will start with a mega-base on the Mun due to it's equatorial orbit, lack of atmosphere, and low gravity. I will use the facilities at this base to mass produce the parts needed for a super-station that would go into high orbit of Kerbin between the Mun and Minmus. This station will be my second mass production facility, but instead it will mass produce many types of ships. These ships will all have different purposes and sizes; fuel freighters, material freighters, colony ships, exploration ships that will be a sort of Swiss army knife of landers and orbiters meant for many different planets and systems, etc. After manufacturing all these ships, I will begin a mass colonization of every large body in the Kerbolar system, first Minmus, then Duna and Ike, all the way to Eeloo and Moho's southern pole due to it's lower temperature. After that, I will utilize the Joolian system as the second mass production facility, Laythe will be the home of all the main Kerbal Facilities, but other moons excluding Tylo (unless a specific needed resource is found there), will be used for mining and ore transport to fuel my Kerbal Empire with money and resources. After the whole Kerbolar system is colonized (hopefully within the first ten years), the first expedition the the closest habitable planet or system will begin. Similar processes will happen there as to the Kerbolar system. Afterwards, I will attempt to make a ship capable of going 80 to 90 percent the speed of light in order to shorten travel times as much as possible, if higher than 90% speeds are achieved, I will begin the Great Civilization Explosion, all at once ships will be sent out to 5 or 10 new systems ready to colonize, this will only be possible due to the alarm clock feature, otherwise many ships would fly off into intergalactic space. Once I achieve the colonization of 10 extra-Kerbolar systems, the second Civilization Explosion will happen, but instead colonizing 15 different systems, these systems will all have close proximity to already colonized systems. Then the Great Helios Station will begin construction in a stable infinity orbit of Rask and Rusk. This will be the pinnacle of stations. After construction of that is complete, I will begin construction of cities around Kerbin, each having a different purpose, and finally the capital city of Everkrest that will be home to the tallest building in all of the systems. This building will more than likely be as tall as the game allows, hopefully taller than 10 km, but if we're lucky, then it will reach all the way up to 71 km, at the top there will be a system with the ability to fling objects into LKO, quite possibly a swing more than 25 km long, it will spin around a pivot at the top using engines, then after it spins fast enough, the object will be released, if not possible, I will construct an orbital space tether aka a space hook meant to bring SSTOs into orbit of Kerbin, if ever possible, a space tether will be put into orbit of every body that has a colony on it. Where I go next is still to be determined.

4 hours ago, BigStar Aerospace said:

I personally have the goal of mass colonization. I will start with a mega-base on the Mun due to it's equatorial orbit, lack of atmosphere, and low gravity. I will use the facilities at this base to mass produce the parts needed for a super-station that would go into high orbit of Kerbin between the Mun and Minmus. This station will be my second mass production facility, but instead it will mass produce many types of ships. These ships will all have different purposes and sizes; fuel freighters, material freighters, colony ships, exploration ships that will be a sort of Swiss army knife of landers and orbiters meant for many different planets and systems, etc. After manufacturing all these ships, I will begin a mass colonization of every large body in the Kerbolar system, first Minmus, then Duna and Ike, all the way to Eeloo and Moho's southern pole due to it's lower temperature. After that, I will utilize the Joolian system as the second mass production facility, Laythe will be the home of all the main Kerbal Facilities, but other moons excluding Tylo (unless a specific needed resource is found there), will be used for mining and ore transport to fuel my Kerbal Empire with money and resources. After the whole Kerbolar system is colonized (hopefully within the first ten years), the first expedition the the closest habitable planet or system will begin. Similar processes will happen there as to the Kerbolar system. Afterwards, I will attempt to make a ship capable of going 80 to 90 percent the speed of light in order to shorten travel times as much as possible, if higher than 90% speeds are achieved, I will begin the Great Civilization Explosion, all at once ships will be sent out to 5 or 10 new systems ready to colonize, this will only be possible due to the alarm clock feature, otherwise many ships would fly off into intergalactic space. Once I achieve the colonization of 10 extra-Kerbolar systems, the second Civilization Explosion will happen, but instead colonizing 15 different systems, these systems will all have close proximity to already colonized systems. Then the Great Helios Station will begin construction in a stable infinity orbit of Rask and Rusk. This will be the pinnacle of stations. After construction of that is complete, I will begin construction of cities around Kerbin, each having a different purpose, and finally the capital city of Everkrest that will be home to the tallest building in all of the systems. This building will more than likely be as tall as the game allows, hopefully taller than 10 km, but if we're lucky, then it will reach all the way up to 71 km, at the top there will be a system with the ability to fling objects into LKO, quite possibly a swing more than 25 km long, it will spin around a pivot at the top using engines, then after it spins fast enough, the object will be released, if not possible, I will construct an orbital space tether aka a space hook meant to bring SSTOs into orbit of Kerbin, if ever possible, a space tether will be put into orbit of every body that has a colony on it. Where I go next is still to be determined.

That ambitious? Totally revolutionary. I love it :D

First and foremost, I’m going to hop into a single player “creative” world and take a look at all of the new parts in all of their glory.

After that I plan on making a multiplayer game where me and my friend/friends will start from scratch and compete over who can colonize the most of the galaxy.

Although plans may change, we currently intend on playing a sort of interstellar strategy game with KSP’s realistic physics. We will have IPBMs (Interplanetary ballistic missile) along with orbital strike platforms and  battleships. 

Separately from the combat, we also plan on having alliances and a fully functional economy for trading and buying resources.

On 7/15/2022 at 8:29 PM, Awfulwaffle said:

We will have IPBMs (Interplanetary ballistic missile) along with orbital strike platforms and  battleships. 

Alert! Missile incoming! You have 6 years, 3 months, 12 days, 19 hours, 42 minutes and 12 second to evacuate!

BTW Let's not even think what the inclusion of possible conflicts and malicious uses of timewarp would do to whatever multiplayer timewarp system they implement.

Edited by Master39

So if KSP2 works how I think it does, we should be able to make our own bases and give these bases our own launch sites. We've already seen off world bases and some in orbit but what I'd really like to experiment with is an underwater base.

1 hour ago, PSNDanjam123 said:

what I'd really like to experiment with is an underwater base.

Ideally, you are not very limited as to where you place your base, even if it leads to unintended behavior. 

Edited by t_v