Your plans for KSP2

4 hours ago, t_v said:

Ideally, you are not very limited as to where you place your base, even if it leads to unintended behavior. 

Yeah I hope so too, imagine all the cool vistas people will find and put their bases. As well as underwater I'd like one facing the edge of a cliff so I can throw planes over the edge

On 7/20/2022 at 7:01 PM, Pthigrivi said:

As a mac person I just hope I can play :(

Me too. I wish we'd get a definitive answer on whether Mac is coming or not. Although in all likelihood, the answer will be no. Us Mac users are always passed over :(

4 hours ago, TheKrakenHerder said:

Me too. I wish we'd get a definitive answer on whether Mac is coming or not. Although in all likelihood, the answer will be no. Us Mac users are always passed over :(

Yes I think full mac support is unlikely, Im just hoping it works on parallels. I find this works about half the time. Its one thing to take a performance hit but buying a whole new machine is hard to justify, even for something Ive been waiting as eagerly for as KSP2. 

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, I will most likely hop on a creative/sandbox/whatever singleplayer save, and just admire the parts. After that, eventually I will likely build a colony ship, send it to the mun, and from then on use it as the only place I launch from, and then I will colonize the entire solar (kerbolar?) system, eventually then building an interstellar ship and exploring other systems until either A) all systems are explored, or B) I get bored.

I then will proceed to play multiplayer and see where things go from there.

First I Will do:

Learn Controls

Launch some random contraption that will explode

then:

Launch orbital colony into Kerbin orbit

Build rockets from that colony

Make More Colonies.

At last, Kerbals inhabitant every Celestial body in the Kerbol system

Then I fail repeatedly to get a interstellar colony ship into the nearest star system.

• 3 weeks later...

Honestly I can't really tell what I'm gonna do in ksp2, as they are not giving us any real information.

I will build rockets / planes / rovers, fly to space, visit planets, moons and other solar systems, interact with asteroids in some way and make some colonies with undefined features (it probably comes down to them just mostly being fuel stations and staging points and generic mission objects. "Build a new research outpost on Minmus..." ), possibly in multiplayer.

On release day I will probably rant about bad (or likely entirely missing) multiplayer, bad control scheme and UI for PC, and tons of small issues that could have been avoided by including the community in the development a little better.

Sadly that's all I can say for sure based on the info they gave us so far.

1 hour ago, Fullmetal Analyst said:

and tons of small issues that could have been avoided by including the community in the development a little better.

That's simply not how well made games work.

If you involved the community you'd just get a perfect copy of KSP1, bugs and problems included.

25 minutes ago, Master39 said:

If you involved the community you'd just get a perfect copy of KSP1, bugs and problems included.

i dont get ur point, how would involving the community lead to the same bugs and problems?

involving the community is critical for a game of this scale, there are many different ways to make multiplayer for kerbal, though the devs never even introduced a bunch of valid concepts and asked the community which one would be preferable, they just make random stuff and dont tell us anything about it

we live in 2022, its not hard to create online polls

Edited by Fullmetal Analyst

5 minutes ago, Fullmetal Analyst said:

i dont get ur point, how would involving the community lead to the same bugs and problems?

Nostalgia.

Everything that is even a little different than how KSP1 does thing would be overly controversial.

We've seen it with the reactions to the new flight UI, yep, the fake 7-segment font wasn't readable, but that's not what most of the critics where about, the argument basically boiled down to "It's not exactly the same UI as KSP1 and I hope there will be an option or a mod to bring back exactly the same UI of KSP1".

2 hours ago, Master39 said:

Nostalgia.

Everything that is even a little different than how KSP1 does thing would be overly controversial.

We've seen it with the reactions to the new flight UI, yep, the fake 7-segment font wasn't readable, but that's not what most of the critics where about, the argument basically boiled down to "It's not exactly the same UI as KSP1 and I hope there will be an option or a mod to bring back exactly the same UI of KSP1".

thats why you use polls, just give people some options to chose from
i wouldnt even bother discussing everyones weird ideas, i would just pick out the ideas that seem best and give the community a choice

3 hours ago, Master39 said:

the fake 7-segment font wasn't readable

Good thing they made it a regular font instead.

For the record, the new UI is great and I'm not opposed to it. It does not leave your eyes ping-ponging between the top and bottom of the screen for altitude and velocity readouts. Having those at opposite sides of the screen was a daft design choice of HarvesteR's - yeah, that's not how eyes work. The UI from 0.4 was messier but ironically better because the UI elements were knit tighter, so it's crazy how the game threw that out pre-0.7.3 all the way to 1.12 in favor of... Nevermind, KSP 2 is fixing it once and for all. Altitude and velocity will finally be next to each other, as if the new designers know how their own eyes work. I'm not sure why I ramble like this.

57 minutes ago, Fullmetal Analyst said:

Polls default to how things worked in KSP1, regardless of logic, with no consideration for design, art, gameplay, or internal consistency.

This kind of reasoning:

50 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

For the record, the new UI is great and I'm not opposed to it. It does not leave your eyes ping-ponging between the top and bottom of the screen for altitude and velocity readouts. Having those at opposite sides of the screen was a daft design choice of HarvesteR's - yeah, that's not how eyes work. The UI from 0.4 was messier but ironically better because the UI elements were knit tighter, so it's crazy how the game threw that out pre-0.7.3 all the way to 1.12 in favor of... Nevermind, KSP 2 is fixing it once and for all. Altitude and velocity will finally be next to each other, as if the new designers know how their own eyes work.

has no place in the KSP1 community if you ask them using polls, it's logical, it makes sense, it's absolutely something to take into consideration when designing the new UI. And, in hindsight, KSP1 UI is objectively worse than any UI they showed for KSP2 from a readability standpoint. But that's not what the community votes for, they vote to keep things the same way they are in KSP1.

1 hour ago, Fullmetal Analyst said:

i wouldnt even bother discussing everyones weird ideas, i would just pick out the ideas that seem best and give the community a choice

What Master said

Statistically speaking, 94% of pollers on this forum don't have expertise in the area of game design their polls concerns. Subjectivity only goes so far; there can be objectively bad UI designs, for instance KSP 1's design with a blatant disregard for how human eyes work. It's a problem Sibelius has and you'll know it if you either compose music or watch Tantacrul, but in KSP 1 it's exaggerated to ridiculous proportions - the two most important aspects of a landing, the altimeter and velocity, are literally on opposite sides of the screen + makes the time constraints of a powered landing worse as you waste time trying to interpret readouts, made worse if you have autism, dyslexia or any of that sort, or something related to sight. KSP 1's UI probably breaks at least one accessibility guideline, I am confident enough to bet money on it. KSP 1's UI is a sorry mess and it's a wonder KSP's life cycle came and went without anyone batting an eye at this atrocious design. I get that real people designed it and I'm being a bit harsh, but it was acceptable when KSP 1 was a highschooler's pet project, although SQUAD has grown considerably as a game company over KSP's life and they've had a decade to review the UI yet it's taken us until KSP is reincarnated as a completely different game for us to get an actual functional UI to use. A decade, many developers passed, and not one suggested revamping (or slightly shuffling) the UI. Having a radar altitude mode for the altimeter was a higher priority than having it moved to the bottom of the screen with the navball (or better, the navball moved to the top to fit more down-screen room for landing views). That's one small change that could have drastically improved landing experiences. One tiny change, one relatively easy thing to implement....

That's enough ranting from me, venting stress from prior botched landings because my two eyes were trying to split between three important things - speed, altitude and the lander's physical relationship with the terrain. I can't thank Intercept enough for blessing us with a properly considered UI. KSP 2 will fix all the lazy things KSP 1 left modders to deal with. Don't stop your work, Intercept.

52 minutes ago, Maria Sirona said:

This thread was supposed to be about what you, as players, plan to do and not about small details...

Well I hope the mods move these comments instead of deleting them, because these things need to be said; nostalgia is not a good path towards improvement.

• 1 month later...

1. Spend at least 30 mins admiring all the planets

2. Spend 30 mins driving around the KSC in a rover

3. Go to every single planet, plant a flag, and admire.

4. How fast and how far can we go? When will KSP 2 start to break, and a that point ill will draw the line of where the max distance a different solar system will be.

Edited by Superluminal Gremlin
Spelling Error

This topic comes along periodically, but why not do it again so that more people can join in!

1. I'm going to emulate some sort of progression, starting at Kerbin and doing a few orbital missions (hopefully landing in cool spots), then moving out to the other planets. I'm not going to look at any of them in map view until I'm planning my mission there. 

2. After landing on each body once, I'll do the same goal that I have in my current saves - make it so that any ship, stranded anywhere, can be brought in full to any other location. 

3. In case I manage to finish this before new content is added, I'll work on my ship architecture using the new parts - I suspect that a lot of janky spaceplane designs are going to become a lot better through procedural wings.