A question that makes me sound like a noob

Akagi

1 hour ago, Akagi said:

Where's the heat shield 3D models and configs in KerbalSpaceProgam > GameData > Squad > Parts? I need to find them for an upcoming (and my first!) mod.

Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Squad\Parts\Aero\HeatShield\

Edited by ColdJ

1 hour ago, Akagi said:

I need to find them for an upcoming (and my first!) mod.

4 minutes ago, Akagi said:

Now how do I open the 3D models?

You should make your own models, unless Squad / Private Division / Take Two Interactive gave you permission to distribute derivative works of their assets.

1 minute ago, HebaruSan said:

You should make your own models, unless Squad / Private Division / Take Two Interactive gave you permission to distribute derivative works of their assets.

?

This is a recolor mod

6 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

Sort of the point is to use the Squad models, just recoloring them to make RecoloredHeatShields 

13 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

HebaruSan, not everybody is good at 3D models.

Just now, HebaruSan said:

Being bad at something does not grant you a license to distribute someone else's work.

This is irrelevant.

As can be seen, others have used the Squad models to make mods.

38 minutes ago, Akagi said:

This is irrelevant.

As can be seen, others have used the Squad models to make mods.

That mod doesn't redistribute Squad's assets; it adds new textures and patches them onto the stock parts with Module Manager. If that's your plan as well, then that should be fine. Good luck!

Maybe @Manwith Noname could help you figure out how to do it.

7 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

That mod doesn't redistribute Squad's assets; it adds new textures and patches them onto the stock parts with Module Manager. If that's your plan as well, then that should be fine. Good luck!

Maybe @Manwith Noname could help you figure out how to do it.

Now we're understanding each other!

This is essentially my plan: to attach new textures to original models.

Oh, and I really like your SmartTank mod. How does it work?

56 minutes ago, Akagi said:

your SmartTank mod. How does it work?

For each of a craft's stages, it calculates the amount of fuel needed to set the initial TWR to the desired value (using thrust and mass data from the stock delta V calculator), then splits that amount of fuel up among all the Procedural Parts tanks drained in that stage and adjusts their sizes to fit. This is essentially what I do by hand when I build a launch vehicle, so I thought it made sense to try to automate it.

5 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

For each of a craft's stages, it calculates the amount of fuel needed to set the initial TWR to the desired value (using thrust and mass data from the stock delta V calculator), then splits that amount of fuel up among all the Procedural Parts tanks drained in that stage and adjusts their sizes to fit. This is essentially what I do by hand when I build a launch vehicle, so I thought it made sense to try to automate it.

I had to read this for a bit for it to make sense. I wonder if an automated fairing that optimizes for weight, size (smaller is better), and aerodynamic drag (less is better) would work...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.