Poll: KSP2 buying decisions

Vl3d

When are you going to buy KSP2 and at what price?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. When are you going to buy the game?

• Pre-order
    • At launch
    • After I see reviews
    • When it's on sale for a cheaper price
    • Not buying it
  2. 2. What maximum price should the game have?

• $60+
    • $40
    • $20
    • Free
  3. 3. Are you going to pre-order KSP2 at $60?

• Yes, right when pre-orders start
    • Yes, after seeing gameplay footage I like
    • Yes, after finding at least one positive review
    • No

I'm not one to make a "dollar per hour" argument, but after almost a decade playing KSP1 for over 2000 hours I think the selling price it's not that relevant, even at 100$ it would be worth it.

On the idea of waiting for reviews I have a core problem, whom?

• KSP Youtubers have a conflict of interest, they mostly all failed when they tried to diversify, their existence as channel depend on KSP success, and that will transfer over for KSP2.
  • Gaming journalist and reviewers, even the best, are not equipped to deal with a game like KSP, their review is either going to be them misunderstanding the game or them giving it a 10 just because it's an educational game, no middle ground.

My plan is just to cut the middlemen, go into radio silence as soon as the game drops and use the 2 hours refund window on Steam to do my personal review of the game, I'm not scared of being an early adopter for KSP2, as I already was for most of my play time on KSP1.

2 minutes ago, Master39 said:

2 hours refund window on Steam to do my personal review of the game

I highly doubt that anybody with your / our level of investment into the game would consider a refund even a remote option.  :D

4 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

I highly doubt that anybody with your / our level of investment into the game would consider a refund even a remote option.  :D

My bar is admittedly low, I just want a better KSP1, but you never know, I did refund Breaking Ground after a few minutes playing around with it when it first came out, only to buy it again a few weeks later after some updates and fixes.

Preorder purchase from my side is unlikely (if PD decides to go for such thing), simple reason. I don't think there's a preorder bonus that makes sense here. Like what. Gold n silver colors for ships? Wait 3 days and it'll be done by modders. Some unique parts? See above. There's no point in preordering if there's no reason to do so.

The biggest issue for me will be whether it works on parallels or bootcamp. Its a big deal because there’s such a strong following among Mac users. It be a nice bone to throw if full Mac support isn’t in the cards. A lot of games do work on PC emulators but I find I sometimes have to wait months for them to work properly or even be playable on my machine. Im okay doing some legwork but if it doesn’t work at all within a few weeks I’ll honestly be kinda devastated. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

23 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

That was 2019 @Ahres

That's why I said, "their very early interview". 

Are you suggesting that after an increase in scope and a 2+ year delay it's going to cost anything less than $60?

3 hours ago, Master39 said:

KSP Youtubers have a conflict of interest, they mostly all failed when they tried to diversify, their existence as channel depend on KSP success, and that will transfer over for KSP2.

I don't think that's true at all. Scott doesn't really do Kerbal videos in his main YT channel, Matt, and Marcus have successfully transitioned to space news, more or less. Das has a Job with NASA Spaceflight. Shadowzone does it more as hobby. With his background in software development, I expect his review to be fair if considerate of behind the scenes issues most  people who expect a triple A title in less than 5 years would never consider. These people love KSP to be sure, but if it's a dumpster fire they are going to feel betrayed. That doesn't make for good cheerleaders.

Edited by snkiz
Dyslexia strikes again.

1 hour ago, snkiz said:

I don't think that's true at all. Scott doesn't really do Kerbal videos in his main YT channel, Matt, and Marcus have successfully transitioned to space news, more or less. Das has a Job with NASA Spaceflight. Shadowzone does it more as hobby. With his background in software development, I expect his review to be fair if considerate of behind the scenes issues most  people who expect a triple A title in less than 5 years would never consider. These people love KSP to be sure, but if it's a dumpster fire they are going to feel betrayed. That doesn't make for good cheerleaders.

Those are all people that have KSP as a secondary theme of their channel, not their primary. Scott, shadowzone, etc never made content where they played KSP recreationally, it's always related to a concept they want to talk about. Matt has transitioned into news but the hit to views is clear, with real life videos having about half the views as his Kerbal videos. Stratzenblitz and VAOS, for example, are people that only make KSP content. Whilst I don't think either of them will have a conflict of interest, they are to lose a lot if they're forced to diversify.

My preorder/purchase actions will heavily depend on how they regionalize pricing. If they go the AAA route thinking USD 60 = ARS 6000, that's a never buy, because not even on sale will it be worth it. Currency equivalence is not regionalization, and I don't support that practice out of principle.

Personally, I have learned my lesson in terms of preordering games, and although KSP 2 is seemingly going to be an excellent game, appearances can be deceiving. However, as an avid KSP lover, just as many of you, I may not be able of helping myself from buying it on the first day. I suppose that the end result is somewhat the same, but being sure that a refund will go through is an attractive aspect. I will strive to wait for the response and reviews from players and the community, but honestly, no promises. :P 

1 hour ago, PDCWolf said:

My preorder/purchase actions will heavily depend on how they regionalize pricing. If they go the AAA route thinking USD 60 = ARS 6000, that's a never buy, because not even on sale will it be worth it. Currency equivalence is not regionalization, and I don't support that practice out of principle.

???

6000 ARS is 50 dollars, that's more worth it if anything.

6 hours ago, Ahres said:

Are you suggesting that after an increase in scope and a 2+ year delay it's going to cost anything less than $60?

I think it will still be $60, but we don't know. Hope we get updates soon.

5 hours ago, PDCWolf said:

Those are all people that have KSP as a secondary theme of their channel, not their primary.

Yes now. Most of them started transionsioning around the time they knew there was a ksp 2 in the works. Those are the big ones. The ones who have stayed true to ksp only content are smaller. I don't think they have the critical mass in views for it to sway their opinion. If it sucks they will move on. Like many others who have pretty much done everything there is to do with ksp and didn't want to wait for the sequel for whatever reason.

7 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

???

6000 ARS is 50 dollars, that's more worth it if anything.

it'd be 6000 ARS + 65% in taxes (21% local VAT, 8% "solidarity" tax, 35% for a dollar transaction to a foreign party), not only does that make the game completely  inaccesible (almost a third of the average monthly income), it also misses the point of regionalizing prices at all which is:

6 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Missed point: difference in income.

Price regionalization was brought forward to equalize markets and ensure everyone has equal access to games, this is why games are exceedingly expensive in places like switzerland for example, but South American and Russian markets tend to be the "cheapest". I on principle refuse to support companies that fail to see this point. For you, 50 dollars might be chump change, here it's about half a month's wage, pre taxes, which means (and this still applies) that greedy AAA companies that convert their prices without regionalizing them have zero sales in our market and sailing remains very high.

Edited by PDCWolf

Thanks for pointing this out @PDCWolf.  Purchasing power is easy to take for granted if you’ve grown up in a country with a strong currency, and it doesn’t become obvious until you’ve spent some time in places with relatively weak ones. Its even easier to miss the historical reasons for these disparities. Given that KSP originated in Mexico and was such a triumph for educating a generation about space travel I think making the game as widely accessible as possible would be a great gesture. 

12 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

Thanks for pointing this out @PDCWolf.  Purchasing power is easy to take for granted if you’ve grown up in a country with a strong currency, and it doesn’t become obvious until you’ve spent some time in places with relatively weak ones. Its even easier to miss the historical reasons for these disparities. Given that KSP originated in Mexico and was such a triumph for educating a generation about space travel I think making the game as widely accessible as possible would be a great gesture. 

Thankfully, Steam is based and holds a complete record of my purchases:

zyFZBKY.png

Back when I purchased the game for myself, 1 USD = 5.15 ARS back then, so ARS 72 for the game, when monthly wage was 3300 ARS (these numbers are about to go crazy, welcome to inflation)

lZ8wb3U.png

I then purchased the first DLC 5 years later, ARS 180 at 1 USD = 38 ARS (would be USD 4.7 converted back). Monthly average wage back then was 11300 ARS 

ACL73zh.png

Also at the same time gifted the base game to a friend, notice how the now converted and regionalized price on a sale was less than the DLC, and about a third the price of my original purchase. 

gedg5Ui.png

Finally, BG released 2019, when 1 USD = 44.7 ARS, so converted would be 6 USD. Monthly wage at this point would be 12500 ARS.

Now, if we assume KSP2 releases at a non regionalized 60 USD, I'd be paying 9900 (conversion + taxes), at a final price of 1 USD = 190 ARS, with a monthly wage of 33000 ARS. That's a huge jump, directly into non-affordability. Also yes, this retrospective depicts a 100% inflation in 6 years if you look at wages, but %3700 if you look at the Dollar.