Poll: KSP2 buying decisions

Vl3d

When are you going to buy KSP2 and at what price?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. When are you going to buy the game?

• Pre-order
    • At launch
    • After I see reviews
    • When it's on sale for a cheaper price
    • Not buying it
  2. 2. What maximum price should the game have?

• $60+
    • $40
    • $20
    • Free
  3. 3. Are you going to pre-order KSP2 at $60?

• Yes, right when pre-orders start
    • Yes, after seeing gameplay footage I like
    • Yes, after finding at least one positive review
    • No

7 minutes ago, LHACK4142 said:

What reason is there to preorder anything?

Sometimes preordering has a slight discount, it gives the company a bit more money sooner to get more done (in theory), it can demonstrate to doubting shareholders and wavering venture capitalists that there is real "skin in the game" interest in the product on the purchasing end.   I've always wanted a preorder option where I could earmark my preorder money to specific line items, like "bonuses for devs"

2 minutes ago, darthgently said:

Sometimes preordering has a slight discount, it gives the company a bit more money sooner to get more done (in theory), it can demonstrate to doubting shareholders and wavering venture capitalists that there is real "skin in the game" interest in the product on the purchasing end.   I've always wanted a preorder option where I could earmark my preorder money to specific line items, like "bonuses for devs"

I see. I still don't really think preordering is a good idea (for the customer) unless you played a preview (as I did for AoE 4). I'd want to see at least a few reviews first.

6 hours ago, LHACK4142 said:

I see. I still don't really think preordering is a good idea (for the customer) unless you played a preview (as I did for AoE 4). I'd want to see at least a few reviews first.

I'm playing it on the first day it releases. Hopefully preorders don't end before my birthday.

On 5/12/2022 at 5:51 AM, Lisias said:

So Steam Charts is an excellent metric to infer the current size of a game's userbase. 

Maybe for most other games, but I haven't booted KSP from steam in nearly 5 years probably. All my playthroughs are on separate folders copied from the original steam folder. I don't think I'm anywhere near alone in this either as CKAN and its ability to manage multiple instances is used by many and separate instances from the original folder  dont report play to steam. My steam account says I haven't even put 400 hours into KSP which is off by at least an order of magnitude.

EDIT: I see you already addressed this, my mistake

Edited by mcwaffles2003

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Jcklemme said:

Never preorder a game for any reason.

I mean, it's all circumstantial. Im a mac guy and when the time comes Im gonna see what I can do to hack it into parallels or if that fails wait for it to come out on Xbox and then buy an Xbox (Uuughhhgg (or not, and suffer inner death cause babies and student loans and buying a house made this choice impossible to justify) but if I already had a PC gaming rig and was as excited as I currently am...?  Maybe?

Edited by Pthigrivi

On 5/14/2022 at 2:16 PM, LHACK4142 said:

What reason is there to preorder anything?

Usually, a preorder-only bonus.

Also, if you preorder it sometimes you can start playing the second it comes out instead of having to spend those 3-5 minutes downloading it first.

That last one was a joke. Well it's probably a reason for some people but it's still a joke from me.

4 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

if you preorder it sometimes you can start playing the second it comes out instead of having to spend those 3-5 minutes downloading it first.

I mean... Depending on platform, you either have it just "unlocked" (consoles) or it has to unpack from already downloaded encrypted package (pc) and depending on the size, and internet speed, unpacking can take longer than downloading.

So really, preorder makes sense only if you want preorder bonus AND if you know that devs can be trusted AND the IP is known, AND previous installment of the series was good. If even one of the answers is no, don't preorder.

Preorder is useful if it can be downloaded before the release date and then activated when its officially released.

5 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

Also, if you preorder it sometimes you can start playing the second it comes out instead of having to spend those 3-5 minutes downloading it first.

Exactly. Sorry I didn't see this comment

Native GNU/Linux and playable offline after installation (just the game, no steam/proton/any download assists/other, no emulation) are my prerequsite to play any computer game, no matter how fascinating it may be. And installation must be completely in user space.

That was how I was introduced to KSP, actually :-)

A price around 60 would be ok for me if this is a full game, and doesn't only become complete with additional DLC. I will need reviews to see if it is worth my time.

Edited by Pixophir

• 3 weeks later...

I would already have preordered a Mac version, and the amount, whatever it was would not have concerned me at all.

No Mac version, and I never buy it (even with a few PCs in the house, or the ability to play it in ARM Windows emulation).

On 5/24/2022 at 5:47 PM, Catto said:

Alright, who thinks the game should be free??? A cheapskate? I'm not trying to be rude, but i'd pay many dollars for this masterpiece.

I had no choice to put free, as there is no game for me.