Sequel Movies that should be ignored.

Gargamel

Highlander II: The Quickening  

This one matches all three of your criteria. The first movie is one of my all time favorites, but Highlander II put me off the franchise completely. I haven't watched any of the later movies or TV shows they keep cranking out. As far as I'm concerned, when it comes to Highlander movies (and TV shows), there can be only one.

Highlander the TV show was fine at the time it came out, but nowadays, with a more refined TV palate, it's formulaic and repetitive after a while.

Highlander 3 IIRC ignored Highlander 2 and pretended it was the sequel to the original. I don't recall if it was actually good or not.

I'll throw every Jaws sequel into the ring.

Jaws is a nearly perfect film in 2 wonderful parts.
Jaws 2 was just a subpar rehash.
Jaws 3 was "what about that 3d thing all the movies are doing these days?"
Jaws 4 was a revenge movie, where a shark is hunting down the family of the main character from the first two movies in order to kill them all for his killing the sharks in those first two movies. I'm serious. That's the premise.

Luckily, we never got to "Jaws 19" as purported by the Back to the Future franchise. *shudder*

Edited by Superfluous J

1 hour ago, Shpaget said:

It's a significantly shorter list of sequels that should not be ignored:

• Terminator II: judgement Day

That was a fantastic movie, groundbreaking for the time, and probably one of my all time favourites. But I have to add Army of Darkness (filling the slot of Evil Dead 3) to that list for sheer funny campiness. KLAATU, VERADA, NICcoughcough!

8 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Aliens-3,4,Pro,Pro-2

Glamour vampire series - all of them

3 would have been good if they didn't screw up the special effects and kill the all the survivors of aliens.

If you really want a complicated movie/sequel appreciate/ignore relationship, we can discuss the Star Trek movies. Or, to make things simpler, we can just get the inflatable sumo suits out and have at it from the start. ;)

5 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

If you really want a complicated movie/sequel appreciate/ignore relationship, we can discuss the Star Trek movies. Or, to make things simpler, we can just get the inflatable sumo suits out and have at it from the start. ;)

Bad
Good
Bad
Good
Do not watch
Good
Good
Good
Bad
Bad
Good
Do not watch
Bad

3 hours ago, Shpaget said:

It's a significantly shorter list of sequels that should not be ignored:

• Terminator II: judgement Day

This. So very,  very much this. 

Arnie in his prime, special effects that were there when they needed to be rather than gratuitous 'LOOK -  A SPECIAL EFFECT' shots, and probably one of my all time favorite sci-fi movie scenes of all time. And best yet, my godson is almost old enough for it and old enough to appreciate it. :) 

On a completely different note, I recall Short Circuit 2 being as good as, if not better, than the original. Unsure if either movie will have stood the test of time though.

I have heard  it said that 'Mad Max 2' is the only sequel ever made that is actually better than the original. This is usually because if a movie becomes a success the Hollywood cigar-chewers say "We'll give you heaps of money to make a sequel but we want it bigger and better.", which is usually a prelude to disaster.

57 minutes ago, benzman said:

I have heard  it said that 'Mad Max 2' is the only sequel ever made that is actually better than the original. This is usually because if a movie becomes a success the Hollywood cigar-chewers say "We'll give you heaps of money to make a sequel but we want it bigger and better.", which is usually a prelude to disaster.

I'd throw T2, Empire Strikes Back, Aliens on that list, though they were all better than good movies (a nice feat). Mad Max was fine, I guess, but it bored me to tears.

1 hour ago, benzman said:

I have heard  it said that 'Mad Max 2' is the only sequel ever made that is actually better than the original.

Star Trek fans would like a word with you as well.

Edited by TheSaint

Iron Eagle II is unbelievably horrid. Or at least the start of it is, I guess it gets a bit better after the first X minutes. IDK.

The Wall Street sequel was bad and didn't need to exist.

Speed 2. Ugh.

Major League II. Even worse.

I've heard rumours of a Men in Black sequel but for some reason I can't remember anything about it.....

And neither WestWorld sequel should have been made: whether we're talking about FutureWorld or Season 2/3. Same story in both; botched in both.

The Blade Runner sequel is very pretty and has some really great music, so I'll give it a pass. Still didn't need to exist and doesn't make sense along with any of the myriad cuts of the first film.

10 hours ago, benzman said:

I have heard  it said that 'Mad Max 2' is the only sequel ever made that is actually better than the original. 

As a sequel, The Road Warrior was terrible. Nothing at all like the psychological suspense and light-horror of Mad Max. On its own The Road Warrior is fantastic. 

Another bad sequel is Aliens. Has very little in common thematically with Alien. Great movie on its own. 

1 hour ago, Cydonian Monk said:

I've heard rumours of a Men in Black sequel but for some reason I can't remember anything about it.....

2 was ... not so good. I enjoyed 3 but as an astronomy nerd watching what they did on and around the Apollo launch vehicle WHILE IT WAS IN THE FINAL COUNTDOWN TO LAUNCH makes me laugh and groan at the same time. I watched part of 4 on a big screen on a cruise ship and can't really talk about its merits all that much but what I saw didn't make me want to watch more of it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.