the Orbital Bean Space Program

Akagi

a7PnLtB.png

A fresh new day, a fresh new KSP career mode save.

DKtHAZ4.png

Throw together a capsule...

eMtaEqo.png

...add an engine and fins...

PGP7VRi.png

...and launch!

3V38jbT.png

Take launchpad science? Check!

emwvzpG.png

Takeo- wait a second! Why's my parachute deployed?

9OeBPwj.png

Eh, all's well that ends well!

FCnTq15.png

A smooth landing next to the launchpad!

8dncvPb.png

Jeb gets out and explores the bunker. A beautiful view of his rocket and the KSC!

Hello and welcome to the amazing Orbital Bean Space Program. The goal?

Green space frogs fly a space shuttle through the Dres Canyon.

Without any ado, let's get these little green bois walking!

UvMV8wy.png

(Yes, I used the Imgur meme gen)

yPQ3xlc.png

We're well on our way to that sweet sweet canyon flythrough!

Craft file: https://kerbalx.com/Akagi/Up-Bean-1

Hangar for all craft: https://kerbalx.com/hangars/153661

Edited by Akagi
craft hangar!

Some rules

1. No cheat menu. That's, well, cheating!
  2. No using stock(i.e. Kerbal 1-5)/KerbalX craft unless deemed absolutely necessary.
  3. Complete the STS Challenge (Kerbin), in this career save, before the canyon flythrough, using the exact same shuttle design.
Edited by Akagi
clarifying

After our first launch, we have some science. Research time!

3oJscag.png

And get some contracts... perfect!

9tCK1E3.png

We have now built the most powerful rocket known to Kerbals: the Up Bean 2.

kU1Mg5s.png

Our new, very cheap, rocket is on the launchpad.

aTKXert.png

Firing the 3 Hammer boosters...

4PkWDst.png

...and the Swivel.

YcrRFzf.png

Floating serenely

4a1xo1n.png

A hot reentry

OBJuHVG.png

Parachute deployed with the booster falling away.

QEuqcs7.png

Splashed and doing science!

U1Bq8Em.png

Hooray, we got a lot of S T U F F!

Pv5lg6s.png

Got some new stuff, then I realised.

WhOMZtR.png

I didn't get heat shields!

That should be an interesting orbit, oh yes...

Craft file: https://kerbalx.com/Akagi/Up-Bean-2

Edited by Akagi
craft file

@Akagi, I have some tips.

I figure, if you can get a fully upgraded tracking station, level 2 astronaut complex and mission control, a level 3 pilot, the Terrier, heat shields, and some basic wing parts, you're pretty much good to go for that space shuttle to dres. A simple MK1 plane with a decoupler-heatshield-capsule stack for its nose, a Terrier at the back, and some simple wings, can easily be strapped to a Terrier transfer stage and sent to Dres. As for how you launch it, maybe send the shuttle up shuttle-style, and dock the transfer stage on from a seperate launch. Its gonna be an expensive mission, so be sure to stock up on cash.

Also, for reentries for within kerbin SOI, you usually don't need to worry about heat shields. Or you could burn off some useless rocket stages as your heatshield. Additionally, if you have the making history DLC, the spherical pods have builtin heatshields.

Edited by SkyFall2489

2 hours ago, SkyFall2489 said:

@Akagi, I have some tips.

I figure, if you can get a fully upgraded tracking station, level 2 astronaut complex and mission control, a level 3 pilot, the Terrier, heat shields, and some basic wing parts, you're pretty much good to go for that space shuttle to dres. A simple MK1 plane with a decoupler-heatshield-capsule stack for its nose, a Terrier at the back, and some simple wings, can easily be strapped to a Terrier transfer stage and sent to Dres. As for how you launch it, maybe send the shuttle up shuttle-style, and dock the transfer stage on from a seperate launch. Its gonna be an expensive mission, so be sure to stock up on cash.

Also, for reentries for within kerbin SOI, you usually don't need to worry about heat shields. Or you could burn off some useless rocket stages as your heatshield. Additionally, if you have the making history DLC, the spherical pods have builtin heatshields.

The launch of the Up Bean 2 was the second attempt. The first one had its upper-stage engine burn up on reentry. The UB2 went nose down and hit the water at 1k m/s

And thank for shuttle tip

Will train both Jeb and Val in case something go wrong xD

@Akagi, I actually have a design for you to use. It's tech level 4. It should work, I have not yet tested the full interplanetary mission but it survives launch. It's pretty heavy and has like 170 parts, be sure to upgrade your launch centers. BTW, you can launch rockets from the runway just fine, so dont upgrade your VAB or launchpad. You dont need them.

craft file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1graqmXDOXyu8nwW23ilnr0QgiuJmS1t6/view?usp=sharing

Trust me, the launch vehicle works just fine. Dont discriminate agains U shaped piles of boosters. It's not exactly a shuttle, a low tech shuttle has absolutely no way of surviving interplanetary aerobraking, so the front is a capsule with parachute and heatshield.

EDIT:

I just realized that tier 5 is still R&D level 1, so I could have made a much simpler design... tomorrow i will make a better one.

Oh, and I'm still recommending you get the DLCs.

EDIT 2:

Here's the newer, better, simpler design: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dXQ_8gkjI6TjFqF0Ubo4dSS110RzM80r/view?usp=sharing

Edited by SkyFall2489

2 launches today!

First off: the Chongus 1!

GiQbmw1.png

A runway launch, then flying over to the grasslands.

mmNANyg.png

E0UR60M.png

STQVAQw.png

SCIENCE!

D09H2yO.png

Hooray, we can get heat shields!

j1CnVrr.png

We got Survivability! We can orbit now!

KNmCk7P.png

Next up: a rocket to complete a contract, dubbed the K o n t r a k t.

wfXiwmD.png

On the launchpad

RJX0KdY.png

Takeoff! This should train Val nicely.

2bgweMT.png

EJECTEJECTEJECT!

hEcRB3T.png

Whew, parachute enabled and some good science! 

VPlVun6.png

Descending

D6VCCsr.png

Touchdown!

4iHGJds.png

Craft files: coming soon

1 hour ago, fleventeen said:

I would like to request that the station be called "The Queen Bean".

Granted

1 hour ago, Austin_Kerman said:

I suggest the first crewed Mun lander should be named “Al Bean”, who was the LMP on Apollo 12.

Granted

@Akagi, What do you think of my dres shuttle designs? You don't have to use them, but they are good examples. They have about the right amount of delta V for a dres mission, with reasonable margin. The first one is harder to fly, but is a tech level lower. Also, it has not gone through as much testing as the newer one, which I have confirmed can actually glide.

38 minutes ago, SkyFall2489 said:

@Akagi, What do you think of my dres shuttle designs? You don't have to use them, but they are good examples. They have about the right amount of delta V for a dres mission, with reasonable margin. The first one is harder to fly, but is a tech level lower. Also, it has not gone through as much testing as the newer one, which I have confirmed can actually glide.

I haven't actually tested them yet. I'll try them in a bit!

1 hour ago, Akagi said:

I haven't actually tested them yet. I'll try them in a bit!

Your eyes may bleed from the launch vehicle of the earlier one. Also, I sure hope you have good experiece with going to dres/eeloo, to get to eeloo without gravity assists is just like going to dres

Hers a link to an image of the first ship just after LV seperation: https://drive.google.com/file/d/19cwGPFA7_WM0P9gJBKDiaDkPYKGfwW8V/view?usp=sharing

The LV had some boosters, but that is the rest of it off to one side of the image.

Edited by SkyFall2489

14 hours ago, SkyFall2489 said:

Your eyes may bleed from the launch vehicle of the earlier one. Also, I sure hope you have good experiece with going to dres/eeloo, to get to eeloo without gravity assists is just like going to dres

Hers a link to an image of the first ship just after LV seperation: https://drive.google.com/file/d/19cwGPFA7_WM0P9gJBKDiaDkPYKGfwW8V/view?usp=sharing

The LV had some boosters, but that is the rest of it off to one side of the image.

N-NANI?!

49 minutes ago, Akagi said:

N-NANI?!

Don't say I didn't warn you.

On 4/30/2022 at 7:28 PM, SkyFall2489 said:

Trust me, the launch vehicle works just fine. Dont discriminate agains U shaped piles of boosters.

15 hours ago, SkyFall2489 said:

Your eyes may bleed from the launch vehicle of the earlier one.

One more tip: you absolutely need manuver nodes for this - which means tracking station level 3 and mission control level 2. Although you could upgrade R&D more, you don't really need to, level 5 is enough to get you to dres and back.

Edited by SkyFall2489

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.