Attachment nodes

Could it be possible to make attachment nodes attach when they are perfectly aligned with other nodes? Say you have a circle. In KSP1, you would have to strut the two ends of the circle together. In KSP2, maybe when the nodes align, they could fuse together? This would obv be a setting you could turn on and off. just seems helpful for making ring stations/ treads/(mono)wheels/etc.

I see something similar to how things work in instruments of destruction(yes, I know that the game mechanics are very different, given that that game uses a gridded system), but some semblance of that would add more possibilities for gameplay.

Edited by Fletch4

I hope that the attachment tree will be overhauled, because having things that are logically connected wobbling with respect to each other (like having a fuel tank and engine on the side of a craft) is unfortunate and sometimes promotes annoying design decisions. Moving away from a tree structure would remedy a lot of problems.  I do remember a mod for KSP 1 that does what you are thinking of though…

Found it, it is called ReCoupler:

It only works for node attachments, but it essentially uses invisible (massless?) struts to be able to circumvent the tree structure of craft - it works really well in most cases, and some people have used it to build massive ring stations!

The only problem that I foresee is on a craft using the dlc structural panels. Given how many nodes that they have, a stock door may just stick. n object may be necessayr that has no mass/drag/etc to cover the nodes. or, you. could have the option to turn off the node.

I really think that a non-tree format would be great. However, I think that parts automatically and by default connecting as you describe is a bad idea. I hold that opinion because I feel such a feature would result in hours of "No you dummy, it's NOT SUPPOSED TO GO THERE!!". Many games with such "QOL" features seem to fail like that.

i was thinking more of a "oh, the player is launching the vessel. lets look for any nodes that directly overlap with other nodes, and fuse those together."

2 minutes ago, Fletch4 said:

i was thinking more of a "oh, the player is launching the vessel. lets look for any nodes that directly overlap with other nodes, and fuse those together."

For me the complaint was more like "oh, I want to make two hemispheres that can separate but the game is fusing them together and I am forced to change the design of my craft to stop that from happening"

This suggestion was made to the KSP2 developers early along, so they probably at least considered making a more flexible attachment system. 

Given what KSP1 does with struts and docking ports, I think the User Interface is the trickiest part of making a non-tree structure KSP.  Any system that has the user place a parts one at a time on an existing craft gives a singly-connected (tree) structure: the new part is connected to the single part on which it was placed.  

1) The ReCoupler mod automatically connects nodes that are within 10cm (adjustable) of each other, and uses colour-coded highlighting to show the user what is going on.

ub2PICU.jpeg2) Stock KSP1 lets us connect struts between parts.  These count as extra parts, even though they don't move independently of their parent.  They automatically disconnect if decoupling leaves them as the final joint between parts (which is usually convenient, but not always). 
If we could also make a "weld" between two parts, that would not disconnect, that would have allowed more natural construction of ring structures.

Slightly off-topic, the mod QuantumStruts gave a nice variant of the KSP1 struts, which automatically (re)connected upon docking.  The same behaviour could be re-imagined as a mechanical (not quantum) mechanism to help us build more rigid space stations.

and this is the situation in whence you have a button when you right click where you could "turn off unconnected nodes"

and then select each node that you want to turn off