Threads of the month: May 2022

adsii1970

The KSP forum moderator's team presents the
Threads of the Month
May 2022 Edition

QKdi5sJ.png?1

Well, April certainly was a fun month. :mad:

For many of us, May means the end of the university's spring term. It means exams, project papers are due, and all those festivities that go along with the end of the terms. As it stands right now, all that's left for me is the massive amount of online assignments to grade. But once that's done, I'll have a lot of time on my hands until the end of the month to play KSP!

A few of you have sent me PMs about adding a new category for video mission reports and KSP related cinematography. I'm happy to let you know that this TOTM is the first to feature this new category. So, as you see threads that feature our brave Kerbalnauts in action, don't hesitate to use the report feature to let us know about them! If it is an older one and has already been featured as a TOTM, please, don't renominate it. Nominate someone else who hasn't received any recognition for the work they've done. :)

For those out there who like the nerdy parts of the TOTM:

To continue a thing I started in May (2021) about the forum and new members as a way to answer the fears some folks had about the forum dying. There were 414 new forum accounts created in April (an increase of 73 from March).  Of those, we have 25 new forum members (defined as no longer having their comments queued) within the community. This means that roughly 6.04% of the new user accounts are actively participating on the forum (that is a decrease of 0.12% in the conversion. In March, this number was 6.16%). If you're interested in seeing the new members to our forum, you can click here!

Now, without further delay, I present to you the threads of the month for May:

General community threads of the month:
This category features a thread that adds to the community and doesn't fit in the game support/game mod categories.

Sometimes folks create threads that just become a fun way to get to know other forum members beyond our mutual love of all things Kerbal. And this month, @AlamoVampire stumbled across an idea and created one of those threads. In this thread, a simple question was asked - what musical instrument(s) do you play? I did participate in the thread, as did some of the other members of the moderation staff. And many of you, did, too! I never realized how many others in our KSP forum community also have some sort of musical talent!

If you've not visited this thread yet and you play a musical instrument, then please, stop by and share about your musical talent. And even if you don't play a musical instrument, visit the thread anyway - you may be surprised how many forum member names you recognize who actually do play an instrument!

Game Support/Game Mod of the Month:

This category features either help with the game (stock or modded), or a mod (or mods) which adds to the quality of life game play of Kerbal Space Program.

If you are like most KSP players, even with Outer Planet Mods, you want something moar for your brave Kerbalnauts to go explore.  Well, this mod may be something you might be interested in! In the OP, @StarCrusher96 describes the mod as:

Galaxies Unbound takes KSP to a whole new level by bringing you stunning recreation of the solar neighbourhood and some of the more famous objects in the Milky Way. No longer confined to the Milky Way. You can now go out and land on new planets, moons, or asteroids, and explore their alien landscapes.

The mod has a lot to offer the more experienced KSP player and with the recommended mods, the visual effects are stunning. The distances involved between the Kerbol system and these destinations means you will have to plan for long-distance communications, energy and fuel requirements, and every other thing that comes with extremely long missions.

Please note: The thread is image heavy and may cause some issues if you are attempting to view it over a slower Internet connection.

So, if you want more destinations, more challenges, and if you're like me, more places to set up colonies, then this is the mod for you!

Forum Member Created Challenges and Missions:

For the past few years, we have seen a lot of really good missions and challenges threads created that expand our fun with the game and presses our skills, creativity, and sometimes, luck, beyond what we get accustomed to. Let's face it, we all have our go-to design basics, our go-to Kermen, and even our go-to vehicles we like to use. So sometimes a good challenge can cause us to think of another way to achieve our goals. 

This month, there were no threads nominated for this category.

Fan-fiction, Mission Reports, and Kerbal Space Program-inspired Creative Thread of the Month:

This category features a thread (or threads) which while not directly Kerbal Space Program related, may be a creative work, fan-fiction, or other presentation which is related to the game.

One thing nice about Kerbal Space Program (the original game) is it's pretty much a sandbox game and quite literally, the sky is the limit! And in this thread by @Talverd, an alternative history of the American Space Transportation System (the STS or "Space Shuttle") program is offered. Sure, we've featured alternative histories of the American space shuttle program before and each one is slightly different than the other. In this alternative history, Talverd has recreated the iconic shuttle but has given them an inspired uniqueness best described as being all-Talverd. The missions shared so far remain fairly consistent with the early missions of the program, but as the OP says:

The main focus of this thread is to have a cohesive collection of all of the lore, mission profiles, and screenshots going forward. The main bulk of "Chasing Dreams" revolves around the shuttle program beginning in 1979 instead of 1981.  This thread will follow almost every mission I do related to this, and should continue for quite a while.

Please note: The thread is image heavy and may cause some issues if you are attempting to view it over a slower Internet connection.

If you're interested in seeing great screenshots with space shuttles, then this is a thread you should check out! If you've run out of ideas or inspiration in your own game, then definitely visit this thread and maybe have your passion for the game rekindled.

Video-based Fan-fiction, Mission Reports, and Kerbal Space Program-inspired Creative Thread of the Month:

This category features a video or other form of cinematography of a Kerbal mission report using in-game video recorded game play. 

In this thread by @The Destroyer, a mission report but in the form of a cinematographic creation (a movie) was made. What's nice about this is it shows the rest of us what can happen in the world of Kerbal Space Program when your imagination is the limit! It's a good movie and so far, @The Destroyer has three installments in the thread. The first shared video is introduced simply as:

After months of planning, filming, and editing, it's finally here - Project Andoria! Embark on the largest cinematic video I've ever made.

So, why not grab a bag of your favorite munchies and give this cinematographic creation a chance?

Honorable mentions:

Each month we get so many good nominations to choose from. Sometimes it's a challenge to choose which threads are going to receive the honor of being the Thread of the Month. But because not every thread nominated each month can be selected, there are always those that become honorable mentions. The honorable mentions for this month are:

The honorable mentions for this month may not have made the Thread of The Month, but if you think they might be worthy of another opportunity, please renominate it!

Congratulations to all the winners of the Thread of the Month for April! We'd like to thank  @Austin_Kerman, @Kerbal Productions, @Kuiper_Belt@jimmymcgoochie, @Stone Blue, and the members of the moderation team and staff who nominated this month's contenders. Thank you so much for helping us identify noteworthy threads for this month!

And this month, I want to extend a heartfelt thank you to the community managers, @Ghostii_Space, and to the moderator-in-chief, @Vanamonde for allowing me to be a member of the moderation team. And especially for their trust in allowing me to be the one who volunteers to take on the responsibility of the Thread of the Month! It's an honor to be able to give back to the KSP community in such a manner! Thank you. :)

TO NOMINATE  A THREAD FOR CONSIDERATION: If you find a thread you feel should be considered for next month's thread of the month, then use the "report comment" feature (the three dots on the upper right corner of the comment box) to report the comment. Please put in the text field of the report post "Nomination for thread of the month" and we will do the rest! You can always nominate more than one thread, too.

In case you missed last month's threads of the month, you can click here.

Congratulations to all and hello to the new categories.

Otherwise I am sure you already know what I would say about the measure of time and it's effect on the relative velocity of us through the universe.

Edited by ColdJ

Congratulations to all the winners who are aspiring enough to reach this honor! :)

14 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

This category features a video or other form of cinematography of a Kerbal mission report using in-game video recorded game play. 

I want this so baaaaaaad ;.;

1 hour ago, Kerbal Productions said:

Congratulations to all the winners who are aspiring enough to reach this honor! :)

I want this so baaaaaaad ;.;

I know. I should have added this category earlier. But... do a new cinematographic feature, and if it is nominated, who knows!

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.