[WIP][1.12.3] The Twelve Colonies of Kerbol (TCoK)

Hey everyone, wanted to show off more of my new found perfered and most loved work flow. Here's  test render of a moon using proc gen with blender,

4WFtBKa.png

It needs a great deal more texture, craters, detail overall, etc. However, I'm pretty pleased with it as a first test. The work flow is basically build a world in blender, export everything in to GIMP to handle fixing things like polar distortion and offset seam fixing, etc, and then build the KOP config and hopefully... put it in game. 

On 5/11/2022 at 1:28 AM, RayneCloud said:

It needs a great deal more texture, craters, detail overall, etc. However, I'm pretty pleased with it as a first test. The work flow is basically build a world in blender, export everything in to GIMP to handle fixing things like polar distortion and offset seam fixing, etc, and then build the KOP config and hopefully... put it in game. 

It will not be easy to export bodies, because iirc blender does not support equirectangular exporting
there should be a plugin for it tho
so best of luck

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Everyone! So here's that update I promised, as I said I had to take a week off for RL reasons but here we are after about two weeks of actual work! It's not much, but I'm happy with the progress.

So, today I started out with a "Test Render" in Blender to see what the desired outcome would look like, (albiet I don't have any graphical mods installed). That test render and test planet, was this,

Spoiler

oz8JK1b.png

Step 2, was getting all of our primary "Maps" off of this sphere and that started with some frustration as the first output for the Diffuse Map (Color) was this,

Spoiler

jggkIn5.png

Now, these little black triangles are there for a few reasons, but there's no need to go in to details at the moment. Suffice to say, the desired outcome required some manual fine tuning of the sphere object in blneder as well as manually adding in new vertcies and the use of a plugin to help me properly bake to a texture that was manually unwrapped to a grid.

That outcome was this, the first diffuse map,

Spoiler

planet_diffuse_testpng.png

Much better yeah? It's also flipped and still wrong, but, baby steps and progress! (There's also still plenty of polar distortion to work out later in either gimp or fixing the unwrap process in blender)

So, what's next? Well, our Normal Map and our Height Map,

Spoiler

vqeyhX5.png

Spoiler

SoTAab3.png

Again, not great by any stretch of the imagination, but progress is progress.

All of this ended the work day with a test world in game as about 30 minutes ago or so,

unknown.png

Not quite the goal eh? No, not really, but this proves the process works (albiet it needs a LOT MORE work to be better than it is) but the outcome is a planet from concept to in-game in the span of about 4 hours or so of total work. There's also still several issues to iron out,

1. The planet is being light from The Sun even at 0.04LY from it.
2. The Local PQS Space isn't colored correctly at all. 
3. Local PQS Space is having generation issues, but it does generate and is landable.

So that's it for today, stay tuned for more over the weekend! 
-Rayne

Edited by RayneCloud

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.