[1.11.X+] Abort Packs 1.0.2

Geonovast

This is a small group of parts designed to give stockalike pusher abort systems for the stock Mk1, Mk2, and Mk1-3 capsules.  The packs use MonoPropellent, as to not be entirely useless once you're in orbit.  The thrusters are not throttle-able and cannot be shut down.

The Mk1 part, AbortPack125, shares the variants with the Mk1 pod, so it'll match no matter which variant you're using.

The Mk2 part, AbortPack187 will still show up if both Making History and ModuleManager are missing.  It will still work, just be solid black.  This is because the parts reference the stock textures, so if Making History isn't there, it has no texture to reference.  There is a MM patch to remove the part if MH is not present.

The Mk1-3 part, AbortPack250 also has a built-in cargo bay.  The top node in the bay is also a decoupler, in case you want to use it to deploy a (very) small sat or something.

By default, all three packs have staging disabled.  This can be enabled in the editor PAW.  Same with AbortPack250's decoupler.
abp125.pngabp187.png
abp250.pngscreenshot29.png
padabort250.gifabp250cargodrop.gif

ModuleManager is not required, however some patches are provided for compatibility with some other mods.

• DefaultActionGroups - Automatically adds the AbortPacks to the Abort action group.
  • Waterfall - A quick Waterfall patch I threw together using some of the provided templates.
  • TAC Life Support - Adds more life support supplies to roughly double what the pod provides.
  • A disabled patch is also included to enable the ability to shut down the abort engines if you'd like.

License: CC BY-NC-SA

On CKAN!
Download: Spacedock

Secondary (please use Spacedock if able)

Thanks to @Snark , @Angel-125 and @ColdJ for helping me through some issues on this.  I certainly learned a lot!

Yeah, this looks great! I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Would you be able to also link to your repo as an alternative place to download releases? Mainly asking because I went to get this from SpaceDock, and it seems like their SSL certificate is no longer valid: https://imgur.com/a/qmnAKFL

6 hours ago, FasterThanFlourite said:

That looks lovely! I can't wait for the CKAN release.

Is it not on there?  I checked the box when I uploaded to SpaceDock, but I hadn't actually verified yet, as I do not personally use CKAN.

5 hours ago, Zelda said:

Would you be able to also link to your repo as an alternative place to download releases? Mainly asking because I went to get this from SpaceDock, and it seems like their SSL certificate is no longer valid: https://imgur.com/a/qmnAKFL

I haven't seen that error at all.  I checked when I saw this and had no issues, also I'm not seeing it in the SpaceDock thread.  You might want to mention over in there that you're getting that error.
I don't use github, so no repo to link to.  I'm assuming that's what you're meaning.  I can add a backup download link to where I host my images if that'll help.

2 hours ago, Geonovast said:

Is it not on there?  I checked the box when I uploaded to SpaceDock, but I hadn't actually verified yet, as I do not personally use CKAN.

It is, I had forgotten to refresh CKAN -.- . Love the parts, great job!

While adding them into a heavily modded career I noticed that with Restock(+) the texture for AbortPack1.25 and Abort Pack 2.5 are missing. Would it be possible to add a patch for that?

Since I'm using Probes Before Crew, I noticed that in the tech tree the Abort Pack 1.25 is located in the very first node (and not where the MK1 command pod is). The other two Abort Packs however sit nicely in the same nodes their MK command parts are in.

8 minutes ago, FasterThanFlourite said:

While adding them into a heavily modded career I noticed that with Restock(+) the texture for AbortPack1.25 and Abort Pack 2.5 are missing. Would it be possible to add a patch for that?

Since I'm using Probes Before Crew, I noticed that in the tech tree the Abort Pack 1.25 is located in the very first node (and not where the MK1 command pod is). The other two Abort Packs however sit nicely in the same nodes their MK command parts are in.

I don't know exactly how those mods work, but I'll look into it.  I had thought that ReStock used its own models.  If that's the case the UV mapping won't be the same and so a patch to point to a ReStock texture won't be enough.

In stock the 1.25m pack should be available at the very start with the Mk1 capsule.  I'll have to see what PBC is doing.  If it's doing what I think it's doing, should be easy enough to patch.

8 minutes ago, FasterThanFlourite said:

Don't feel rushed with those two issues. I can't expect to have it cater to every mod. I just thought I'd mention them since I encountered them.

PBC thing is straightforward and I'm almost done.  ReStock could take a bit more, but I will look into it.  I know a lot of people use it.

7 hours ago, Geonovast said:

I haven't seen that error at all.  I checked when I saw this and had no issues, also I'm not seeing it in the SpaceDock thread.  You might want to mention over in there that you're getting that error.
I don't use github, so no repo to link to.  I'm assuming that's what you're meaning.  I can add a backup download link to where I host my images if that'll help.

Good call, though I just checked again and I no longer get the error. Either they renewed the cert, or it was a transient issue. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ If I see it again, I'll definitely report it to the SpaceDock thread though.

Gotcha re: no GitHub! I was indeed assuming you used it, but since you don't, I don't think you need to go to the trouble of setting up another location. Now that SpaceDock is working properly for me, I'll give this a spin tonight. Thanks!

Update, version 1.0.2:
    Added changelog file
    Increased entryCost and cost of bwi_abp_187 to better match balance
    Swapped PartVariant Modules in bwi_abd_250 to allow baseVariant to be changed by MM (weirdness with having multiple ModulePartVariants)
    Added patch support for ProbesBeforeCrew
    Added patch/whitelist support for ReStock

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/4/2022 at 2:16 AM, Geonovast said:
  • A disabled patch is also included to enable the ability to shut down the abort engines if you'd like.

Does it add throttle or just “shutdown engine”?

On 6/13/2022 at 7:57 PM, Rutabaga22 said:

I would probably use these as retro rockets for deorbiting capsules. It would be nice not to have to carry a large stage to deorbit.

Same. Thanks for the idea!

I’ll have to upgrade my falcon 9:sticktongue:

edit: how do I un-merge posts? Auto merge is so annoying:huh:

Edited by darthvader15001

7 hours ago, darthvader15001 said:

Does it add throttle or just “shutdown engine”?

Just shutdown.

7 hours ago, darthvader15001 said:

edit: how do I un-merge posts? Auto merge is so annoying:huh:

You can't.  I can't do it for you, either.  The only way to get around post merging is to wait at least 10 minutes between making them.

• 3 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.