[TUFX] Trev's Apollo TV Camera Profiles

pTrevTrevs

0b1Azlw.png

A couple people have expressed interest in my TUFX profiles, so here they are, refined for public use. These are my first publicly-released configs/mods for KSP (or anything, really), so I hope I'm doing this right.

mDe0Tia.png

My goal with these has been to recreate the appearance of in-flight television footage from the pre-digital era of spaceflight, particularly the footage of the Apollo moonwalks. Basically, if you're looking for something to make your game look "better", best keep moving. This film is usually characterized by a heavy amount of grain, lower resolution, and a sort of washed-out look to the colors in the frame. There are some amazing TUFX setups out there which can sometimes make it hard to distinguish between a KSP screenshot and a real photograph, but I've yet to see anything that properly emulates the feel of the primitive methods by which the early decades of spaceflight were recorded. Hopefully these three profiles will improve the authenticity of your KSP screenshots and make for a more immersive mission experience.

All screenshots are my own, captured on various missions performed in 2.5x KSRSS with other visual mods such as Scatterer, PlanetShine, and Distant Object Enhancement.

Apollo CTV Camera:

This profile is inspired by the television footage of the last three Apollo landings, where the TV  camera was mounted to the lunar rover and commanded remotely from the ground and the footage underwent an artificial cleanup and enhancement process between being transmitted to Earth and being broadcast on television. This filter applies a moderate amount of film grain, with a slight alteration to focal length to blur out background objects and reduce the overall quality to appropriate levels for 1970s technology. Additionally, it features a subtle color grading effect to emulate the conditions on the lunar surface and a large amount of lens dirt, light scattering, and an HDR effect to imitate the harsh lighting conditions experienced in zero-atmosphere environments.

DNPqgzp.png

Vd9MzWx.png

snxnAMl.png

K4hUCrQ.jpg

km8KOOC.png

bXeCVC3.png

Apollo CTV Camera (Lower Post Exposures):

While the first profile was well-suited to the relatively dim lunar surface, when I began flying more Low-Earth Orbit missions in my current save I realized that it was much too bright to be used so close to a planet or within atmospheres. In order to remedy this I developed a second variant of the CTV Camera profile with reduced post exposures, allowing it to be used more effectively in LEO or in an environment with other bright light sources. The differences won't be very apparent in these screenshots, but trust me when I say that it makes a huge difference in-game.

Uvd2HMW.png

8Rua9VP.png

rwHpADS.png

Rwyg7tX.png

gAZRloK.jpg

Incidentally, this profile also works quite well for "filming" rocket launches:

DNbo1oN.png

lxmtW9V.png

X0DoZHg.png

Westinghouse:

While the TV footage of the J-series Apollo landings was the most technically impressive and produced the best image, the ghostly grayscale film of the Apollo 11 landing still remains the most famous. It wouldn't feel right to release the color TV profile without something to represent the footage captured by the rudimentary black-and-white Westinghouse cameras carried on missions such as Apollo 8 and Apollo 11. This profile, in addition to the grayscale saturation, also features heavier film grain and noise, a shorter focal length for even more blurriness in the background, greater chromatic aberration, and a few slight alterations to the color grading, saturation, contrast, and temperature of the image to better suit the colorless film.

znOPDmj.png

PwzOahW.png

nccoVPU.png

9aW6UtG.png

Installation is simple; all three profiles come bundled in the same config, which should be placed in the "Profiles" subdirectory of your TUFX GameData folder.

DOWNLOAD

*These profiles require TUFX and its dependencies*

*You may copy, modify, or share these profiles, so long as you credit the original author (that'd be me). You may not use these profiles for commercial purposes*

Edited by pTrevTrevs

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.