ASE Nefelibata-class - Light SSTO (Stock)

CArbCJo.jpeg

Hello,

In my humble opinion, Spaceplane SSTOs are generally a bit boring. I find their (aerodynamic) requirements generally to be a bit too strict to come up with an interesting design. As can be seen in my KerbalX hangars I much prefer in-space or rocket-SSTO spacecraft. Nevertheless I wanted to give a normal, airbreathing, horizontal take-off, spaceplane a try.  I think the use of the Mk3 command pod as an under slung spaceplane cockpit has a lot of potential.

The Nefelibata-class can be used to transport a handful of Kerbals or a small satellite to LKO. Despite the bulky shape and the limited control surfaces the craft is actually really stable and easy to fly on both ascent and re-entry. To get it into orbit just take off normally and set the nose to a pitch angle of about 10 degrees and punch it. I highly recommend to give this craft a try if you want to give one of my creations a try.

More images:

Spoiler

7ABaxq4.png

1DSlOYr.png

4lMAf2y.png

59mC7eo.png

cuUmNA2.png

zXHeC7t.png

d5s7YES.png

wURT1hq.png

CRofIOM.png

OhH37On.png

Features:

• Enough dV to go to LKO and back with ca. 500 m/s left
  • Rapier engines
  • (Parachute) airbrakes
  • Small cargo bay to carry a small payload, it also contains the (retractable) solar arrays
  • Space for up to 4 crew

Download:

A craft file can be downloaded here on my KerbalX page. As with all my craft the Nefelibata-class is fully stock (+DLC).

My goodness, that's a lot of parts squeezed into a small volume. I was playing back in the era when part clipping would cause your ships to explode, so this gives me anxiety to look at. :)

Hey, I've noticed, while burning with the rapiers, my ship cannot control itself. This too happens in re-entry.

I have RCS and SAS enabled, anything i'm doing wrong?

On 5/4/2022 at 11:56 PM, Vanamonde said:

My goodness, that's a lot of parts squeezed into a small volume. I was playing back in the era when part clipping would cause your ships to explode, so this gives me anxiety to look at. :)

I honestly try to keep part clipping to a minimum.  All parts must be (largely) visible and cannot be completely enveloped by others. It would feel like cheating if I were to design a cool looking craft and just cram it full with parts on the inside to make it work. You get more interesting designs that way anyway. Form follows function.

On 5/6/2022 at 4:13 AM, Catto said:

Hey, I've noticed, while burning with the rapiers, my ship cannot control itself. This too happens in re-entry.

I have RCS and SAS enabled, anything i'm doing wrong?

Sorry, I forgot to mention that you'll need to set the Mk2 command pod at the tail as  the control point. The default point is the Mk3 command pod in front but this one is mounted upside down for aesthetic reasons. (And to create a hatch)

On 5/6/2022 at 11:23 AM, Earthlinger said:

Ooo I know you, I always pore over your craft when they pop up in KerbalX  (they're really nice-looking :)not to mention part efficient)

Thank you! I love creating these. And yeah the part efficient crafts is another self imposed constrained but that more has to do with the fact that I am playing the game on a very old laptop. Crafts with more than 200 parts are really starting to cause lag already.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.