How to force physics warp on Linux?

I'm pretty sure that when I played KSP a while ago, on Windows, I could hold ALT while enabling time warp to force use of physics warp even when I was in space (the default being "on rail" warp). Is this still a thing?

I'm now playing on Linux (version 1.12.3), and neither ALT nor RIGHT SHIFT work. I only get "on rail" warp. Am I doing something wrong, or did that feature get removed?

It's really a most needed feature since it allows to accelerate burns that take a long time (if I remember correctly?)

Right shift + [.] works for me.

If you hold Right shift and press F12, does it bring up the debug menu?  I'm wondering if you have something else running that's intercepting the Right shift press.

On a side note, if you're in a situation where normal warp cannot be done, you can put your mouse in the upper left and click on the time warp arrows manually.  This will also put you into Physics Warp.  I don't know of a way to force Physics Warp when you're in a situation where normal warp works by doing that, though.  If normal warp is available clicking on the arrows will just do that.

Yes, right shift + F12 opens the console with the cheat menu. Also works in the VAB for duplicating a part etc.

But when flying, in space, right shift + ":" does nothing (without holding right shift, it increases "normal" warp speed). When I'm in atmosphere, I can control physics warp just fine (with the GUI or with the keyboard), but I can't force it when in space.

(":" is the key that increases warp speed on my keyboard, which is a french keyboard. Maybe there is a bug related to the french layout?)

I don't think it goes off of what character is being sent, but what physical key is being pressed.

I switched my keyboard to a French layout and it still worked fine.  I'm downloading the French version of the game now to see what it does there.

I don't speak French but I should be able to use the game enough to get that far.

I've done some playing around and I think I have an idea on what's going on.

The French version of the game behaves normally with an English keyboard layout.  This makes sense, since I'm rather certain that the only difference is the localization file.

I checked the keymaps in the French version and it shows [ . ] for Increase Time Warp, [ , ] for Decrease Time Warp, and [ / ] for Stop Time Warp just like the English version.

The issue here is that on the French layout the [ . ] and [ / ] are shifted.  I think that's what's causing the problem.  Although I'm not sure why it's working for you sometimes.  I couldn't get it to work at all.  The only warp controls I got to work was Decrease Time Warp.

I don't know what else to do from there.  You could try remapping the warp keys (Main Menu -> Settings -> Input (on the left) -> Game (on the top) to something else and see if that fixes it for you.

I don't think "/" is stop warp on my config, I can stop warp with "!" which is a different key. If it was "/" that might explain things though, since it's the same key as ":" but shifted... I'll try to change the key mapping (I haven't changed it at all until now) and see if I can get it to work...

OK, fixed it. I just reassigned to the same keys. Except for some reason, they are not displayed like the default config (except ";" which I also reassigned but didn't change name). But now it works both for normal warp and force physics warp with right shift. Thanks for the hint!

key-config-screenshot.png

Edited by Youen

1 hour ago, Geonovast said:

The French version of the game behaves normally with an English keyboard layout.

So my problem is solved, but just in case it could help with any further debugging or whatever, I just realized now that I'm not using the french version of the game. I'm using the english version, but with the french layout (physical french keyboard, linux french layout, and in-game french layout). In this config, it appears the default keybindings are incorrect, but once you know it, easy to fix by reassigning warp keys.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.