Reconfiguring the Mk 1-3 to carry 5 people

I've wanted to make a variant of the Mk 1-3 Command Pod to carry 5 Kerbals instead of just 3, but I'm not quite sure how to approach this. Ideally it would be another part using the same model but Mk 1-5 instead of Mk 1-3. I'm not sure how exactly to do this, and was wondering if maybe there are better alternatives out there. Thanks.

A quick and dirty way would be to copy the .cfg file for the mk1-3 and change the name (third line "name =") and CrewCapacitycrew.

A more robust way would be to make a ModuleManager patch.

Either way there are probably a few other things you would want to modify on the mk1-5. The internal for the mk1-3 only has 3 seat positions so you would only be able to EVA or transfer the first 3 kerbals unless you change the INTERNAL to point to a model with 5 or more seats (maybe the Mk3 passenger internal). You probably also want to change the description and then the mass and cost to keep things balanced.

28 minutes ago, wasml said:

A quick and dirty way would be to copy the .cfg file for the mk1-3 and change the name (third line "name =") and CrewCapacitycrew.

A more robust way would be to make a ModuleManager patch.

Either way there are probably a few other things you would want to modify on the mk1-5. The internal for the mk1-3 only has 3 seat positions so you would only be able to EVA or transfer the first 3 kerbals unless you change the INTERNAL to point to a model with 5 or more seats (maybe the Mk3 passenger internal). You probably also want to change the description and then the mass and cost to keep things balanced.

Yeah, I was wondering if there was a 'cleaner' way to do it, like if someone else had already had the same thought as me and there was some preexisting patch. 

Anyway, to get the IVA to point to the Mk3 Passenger internal I just grab that filename from the Mk3 cfg, right?

3 minutes ago, Misguided Kerbal said:

Anyway, to get the IVA to point to the Mk3 Passenger internal I just grab that filename from the Mk3 cfg, right?

Correct - just replace the file name after "name =" in the INTERNAL section with what's in the Mk3 passenger INTERNAL.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.