T2's Upcoming Earnings Call - May 16

Ahres

1 hour ago, TLTay said:

Some bozo put games released in previous years on the future releases slide. Pft. 

The Max Payne is labeled as "New Iterations of Previously Released Games" if that is what you are referring to.  Not sure

32 minutes ago, darthgently said:

The Max Payne is labeled as "New Iterations of Previously Released Games" if that is what you are referring to.  Not sure

You know what, I was looking at tbe wrong slide...

If it's really delayed till 2024... I would not be shocked, sadly. At that point it really risks getting cancelled.

We have multiple threads arguing over who’s guess about the release date is best.    We do not need another.   Let’s keep this thread strictly to the upcoming earnings call.   

How to inflate hype around a game, prior to release?

'Leak' a fake snippet of a report showing the game will be delayed. This will get the fanbase up in arms, threads on forums will be created, discussion / arguments will ensue.

When the real report is released, have the release date in it. Have the release date surprisingly close. This will create shock and excitement, forum threads will explode, chatter around the game will be crazy. Fans will be hyped.

I mean, we can hope, right??

:ph34r:

1 hour ago, WelshSteW said:

'Leak' a fake snippet of a report showing the game will be delayed. This will get the fanbase up in arms, threads on forums will be created, discussion / arguments will ensue.

Nah, this is about GTA VI, KSP doesn't generate enough noise to make fake leaks popular enough.

I mean, I've postulated that if they release before 2025, they'll still be within a normal development time line.  Things just take longer nowadays.  You can't just crank games out the way you used to.  Most complex games, and movies, can even take dec ::coughTopGun2cough:: ades ::coughAvatarcough:: to come to fruition.  

I think the lesson here is to appreciate KSP 1, and keep the modding community alive.   If anyone is bound to release a KSP 2, it's going to be modders, who want to keep the game alive.  

14 hours ago, whatsEJstandfor said:

The same reason we fake anything, Pinky: Internet clout and attention

I guess just like views? Is there a financial incentive anywhere? Maybe Im too old to understand. 

giphy-3.gif

Edited by Pthigrivi

11 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

I guess just like views? Is there a financial incentive anywhere? Maybe Im too old to understand. 

giphy-3.gif

Attention can be monetized in many ways - and even if you are not the one making money by selling ads, there are incentives from the ones who are. 

On 5/11/2022 at 4:36 PM, The Aziz said:

Folks, 2024 would mark 7th year of production. That's a money hole for the publisher, not something worth releasing. It's not GTA which sells in million copies in a week or whatever. It needs to start earning money at some point, and with constantly increasing budget (which, pretty sure, already at least doubled since the announcement in 2019) the production won't go anywhere near profits.

I don't believe that and won't, until I see the report with my own eyes, with good news or bad.

This is why it is important that each and every one of us run for the local school board and make sure that KSP2 has as much foot print in school computer labs as Oregon Trail used to enjoy.  It is educational dagjammit.

On 5/11/2022 at 9:23 PM, Gargamel said:

We have multiple threads arguing over who’s guess about the release date is best.    We do not need another.   Let’s keep this thread strictly to the upcoming earnings call.   

Let's keep the crossposting to a minimum.

A number of posts have been moved to moved to this thread:

Further Off topics posts might be subject to removal completely. 

Edited by Gargamel

Personally I don't much care what the earnings call has to say. Here's why:

If the estimated release date (what everyone's interested in) has been changed or further specified than "FY2022", and they don't make a public announcement about it to anyone but their shareholders (by releasing it first to the earnings call), think about how that's gonna look to us here on the forums, let alone the people running the gaming news websites.

It's gonna look terrible, right? Whole lot of negative press about the game being delayed (or having a proper release date) and the developers not telling the people most interested in the game's release about it in a straightforward way.

So why would they ever do that then? It makes no dang sense.
You don't INTENTIONALLY make a bad PR decision when you're trying to sell a game, ever, because you don't want to lose potential sales, ever.
What happens is that people in charge of the PR side of the game or people that shouldn't be making public statements mis-read the situation and make the wrong move (that happens a lot), or more likely you make the "right" move and most people are fine with it but a small portion of people interested in whatever game you're talking about get REALLY UPSET and start making a whole lot of noise (while the majority of the fan-base remains silent because they're happy with it). "Vocal minority" effects do exist, and they're quite prevalent in the gaming industry.

So if there's new news to be had from the earnings call report, then we're gonna already know about it from some other source first. Because doing it the other way around is a great way to anger a whole lot of people really quickly.

And that "leak"? I'd bet money that it's fake. And I only bet on things that I think have a 100% chance of happening (I don't tend to gamble, even 90% chance of success isn't good enough for me to put real money into a bet).
First off any supposed "leak" no matter what it's about is fake 90% of the time. This specific leak "supposedly from the yet to be released earnings call" has many things wrong with it that seem purpose-designed to hide traces of image manipulation. I mean they didn't even take the time and effort to find the proper font, capitalize things correctly (or consistently) open up Powerpoint, and make a proper series of (fake) slides on their own, so this is additionally not just fake, but a particularly low-effort fake at that.
You wanna do a fake presentation slide the right way, you use the software used to make presentation slides, not Photoshop, and then you show the slides plain, not as an image of a projection. This supposed leak is hardly convincing to me. If it's right, it's pure happenstance.

1 hour ago, SciMan said:

further specified than "FY2022", and they don't make a public announcement about it to anyone but their shareholders (by releasing it first to the earnings call), think about how that's gonna look to us here on the forums, let alone the people running the gaming news websites.

Why would this generate negative press? A release date is a release date, and I don’t think that it implies maliciousness or any other negative quality to do the reveal from the financial report first. Game news websites will probably just be happy to recycle old footage and proclaim that the game is releasing, and I know that I’d be perfectly happy to wait a few days for the release date announcement trailer to go out after the release date is confirmed. But I definitely think that the chance of a concrete release date tomorrow is slim. 

3 hours ago, SciMan said:

If the estimated release date (what everyone's interested in) has been changed or further specified than "FY2022", and they don't make a public announcement about it to anyone but their shareholders (by releasing it first to the earnings call), think about how that's gonna look to us here on the forums, let alone the people running the gaming news websites.

Just speaking for myself here: I would not care. I'll take any news I can get.

1 hour ago, t_v said:

I definitely think that the chance of a concrete release date tomorrow is slim. 

Oh, for sure. I figure best case, they tell us what season or month they're shooting for.

3 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

Can we maybe just get through this speculation and ask directly?

@Nate Simpson Has KSP 2's estimated release date been moved out to the 1st half of 2024 as is depicted in the "leak"?

While I do take Nate for the type that looks at all the posts he gets tagged in, I don’t see why he’d answer this when you’ll be getting the answer in less than 24 hours at the time of your posting anyway. 

As fun as it is to be able to get the attention of the Creative Director of what could end up being the best game ever made, I cringe at posts like this. I don’t want to see forum users abusing this. 

1 hour ago, WelshSteW said:

Yeah, I kind of wgree with Ahres here. Plus, if Nate was going to comment, he'd have done it already. This stuff has been going on for a good few weeks now.

Concurred. Also if Nate was going to respond to make an announcement of a delay I'm sure that it would be in the form of a pinned forum post like the one announcing the delay to 2022.

T-11h 35m 62s

We'll know if it was a fake or if we have disappointment in store for us.

10 hours ago, Ahres said:

While I do take Nate for the type that looks at all the posts he gets tagged in, I don’t see why he’d answer this when you’ll be getting the answer in less than 24 hours at the time of your posting anyway. 

As fun as it is to be able to get the attention of the Creative Director of what could end up being the best game ever made, I cringe at posts like this. I don’t want to see forum users abusing this. 

I don't regularly call to the devs or nate for things, but I figured with a nasty rumor going around that's garnering the attention of a lot of forum users it couldn't hurt to ask and possibly clear things up. No intention to abuse/distract, I figure nate could just breeze over it if he didn't care to respond anyways.