Thunderstruck: a story of Orion Drive development

Kasyan

Out-of universe notes will be in cursive
As you know, in 1.12 fireworks were added to KSP. What you might not know is that you can overclock fireworks using a KAL controller. These overpowered fireworks can be used for propulsion, if you're careful enough.

FROM THE DECLASSIFIED DOCUMENTS OF THE KERBAL AEROSPACE FORCE:
THE ORION DRIVE

Ever since kerbals created explosives, they've wondered: can I fly with it? The question had been answered a long time ago by solid-fuel motors, but some kept thinking if there was more to it. That day, they proved there was.

B2ocU1w.png

The Orion test vehicle was sitting on the launchpad, waiting for further commands. Daredevil pilot Jebediah Kerman was sitting inside. Even Jeb, the famous Kerbal With No Fear, was pondering the absurdity of this idea. A couple tons of explosives were going to be shot out of a hole at supersonic speeds, an Jeb was going to ride the shockwave. Suddenly, he heard a command from Ground Control.

CAPTAIN KERMAN, PREPARE FOR LIFTOFF IN 3, 2, 1...

C64nfzA.png

And like that, Project Orion was born. Not with a whimper, but with a bang.

Jeb felt the vehicle accelerate rapidly. He struggled with his breath, and his ears were ringing.
COMMANDER KERMAN, WE HAVE LIFTOFF, I REPEAT, WHAVE...
BANG!

and another one

and another one

Getting used to this is gonna be hard, Jeb thought.

28 more explosions followed.

WE HAVE REACHED 100 m/s, Mission Control stated.
Beginning descent, Jeb replied.

IEUP0I8.png

Commander Kerman parachuted to safety. While his vehicle was being recovered, his brother Gene, head of Kerbal Aerospace Forces, called him to his office.
Great job, Jeb, he said. We've officially started the Orion Program, and the investors are impressed. We're going to need you again soon, Jeb. Do you want to continue?
Oh boy, more explosions? Jeb replied with excitement. Count me in! I need a vacation, though, my back hurts from all the gees now.
I knew you would be interested. We'll call you. Jeb, the Orion Rider. Has a nice ring to it, don't you think? Gene finished.

Okay, I'm tired, I'll publish the next part later today or tomorrow, I hope. I have all the pictures ready.
Did you like this? Any criticism, questions or recommendations? Please reply!

Here are some bonus photos. They'll come with every episode. They are not canon, consider them bloopers.

Spoiler

1s7l8wt.png

A particularly spectacular structural failure

McM9uBc.pngJebediah falling to his doom. Even the parachute couldn't save him.

NEXT UP ON THUNDERSTRUCK: WHO PUT ORION ON A PLANE?

On 5/15/2022 at 8:03 PM, Yashie Guy said:

wow! the mission report looks beautiful. nice job with the tufx (i think), what's your profile for it?

PALETTE pack, I think it's called Kerbosawa Mode. On the teaser pic it's Fox's Vintage Profiles, the profile is Apollo 8.

By the way, a message for everyone interested. I'm really sorry I delayed Part 2. I kind of have to do a lot of stuff IRL right now, and I don't have any free time. I'll try to write it tomorrow, okay? This is not cancelled, don't worry, it's just on a very brief hiatus. I just need a little bit of time to sort out my IRL stuff. If this cheers you up, Part 3 is scheduled for next week! I really hope I don't have to delay again

Edited by Kasyan

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.