Release Date Update from the KSP2 Team

Nate Simpson

13 minutes ago, Ahres said:

T2 earnings report today lists KSP2 as releasing Q4 of FY23 for PC. Meaning the game is slated to release before April 1, 2023.

Yeah we could expect a feature video to be released and at the end saying when the release date around 2023. But hey a game that is good is a good game plus we might get some more stuff about ksp2

I'm 52 years old.  I have finally heard that there is a tentative plan to send a probe to Uranus for 2045.  I will be 75 when it arrives.  I am losing hope I will ever see a Neptune mission in my lifetime.  I am old enough to remember Voyager and I have been waiting for a return ever since.

So, KSP in 2023 or even 2024.  Not a big deal.

https://www.space.com/nasa-uranus-orbiter-probe-mission-science#:~:text=The giant planet's position means,get to Uranus by 2045.

Edited by Klapaucius

2 hours ago, synalx said:

As both a software engineer and someone with thousands of hours in the original KSP, I applaud the decision to not rush KSP2 and put in the time it's going to take to finish the game properly. It's what a game like KSP deserves, and it's worth the wait!

Another SE/KSP player here.

Take your time, it's going to be great when it finally releases. Looking forward to it!

So basically my "pitch drop interval" + KSP original release from beta theory is looking like it might be somewhat more coherent now.  Mixed feelings, lol, but honestly at this point the more patient we can be and the less rushed the rollout then the better it will be

I am currently patting myself on the back.  I read all the pre-launch hype about the Starbase MMO and thought hard about buying it but didn't. It looked like the perfect mesh of Eve Online and Space Engineers.  Build space ships, write programs to have them do cool things, build bases.  It sounded amazing.  They had weekly video updates of all the cool explosions and ship building.  And when they announced the first delay, fans riding the hype train told them, take your time, get this right.  Last week, only 9 months after release and mixed reviews, they announced they were all but shutting down work on updating Starbase to go on to more profitable ventures.

I fell for the Atlas hype and I almost fell for the No Man's Sky early hype (though I did eventually purchase that one).

@Nate Simpson I am going to take a gamble that goes against my better hype judgment and ride this train with you all the way to my wallet.  There's already been 3 years of delays and can wait longer. I'm hoping you've taken your time getting it to release so that you do get it right.  So, please keep the Starbase, Atlas and No Man's Sky sagas in mind. If you do release a crap product, very few companies have pulled a Hello Games hat trick and dug themselves out of a mostly negative review hole.  And I'd really be liquided if I had to slap Jeb with my own negative review.

48 minutes ago, Klapaucius said:

I am old enough to remember Voyager and I have been waiting for a return ever since.

I'm older that you and I'm quite satisfied that V'ger eventually did return.

main-qimg-208234c2e63b0d5ee50e30959aa9b1

Thank you for the candid update Nate.  Rome wasn't built in a day, so we appreciate the drive toward quality over expediency.  Keep up the good work, we're all pulling for you.

Edited by Raptor9

5 hours ago, Acid_Burn9 said:

Better to delay the game than cyberpunk it. Good call.

Cyberpunk was ultimately delayed for longer than KSP2 and it still cyberpunked it. More time does not necessarily yield proportionally better results. Especially not if increasingly-serious deadlines lead to bad working conditions, or if the eventual product fails to live up to an impossibly over-hyped standard.

For the game's own sake, I would prefer if the game wasn't delayed any longer.

I mentioned several other spots, that as long as they released the game before 2025, they're still well within a normal dev cycle.   Glad they're taking their due time and polishing it.   

In other news, I'm thinking of opening a Sports Betting website, centered around game release dates.  You have to project your bid on when a game will actually release, when it is first announced, and betting closes 4-6 months after the initial announcement.   I'm going to retire in 2 years on this.  :D  I suppose this comes from working in shipyards, where any ship in lay will be delayed, by default, by a mathematical factor times the length of their anticipated stay.  (No, you cannot have the formula, but yes, there is one.) It's so eerily accurate that I've made many a Captain blush, but it's just mathematics at this point, I can't even call it bet.   Same for game design.   

(The reason I'm not giving this formula out, is that I am seriously wondering if I can make a business model out of consulting about cycles similar to these.  This cannot just be some weird party-trick talent, like folding your tongue over.  So help me, I'mma make some money on this.)

Edited by Bosun

That's in line with what T2 said earlier on ("Fiscal 2022") and probably better for the wallet as micro chip shortages are supposed to be a thing of the past by then. No shocking surprises and a date that's a bit more solid than before. All around, good news!

Well .... After not having more than "look we can make radiators" and "wow  interstellar travel", we should have guessed that they need another year. Also "early 2023" ... Could you be more vague ?  ;)
I'm now waiting for April 2023 and the next release date update for 2025 ...

Just means will keep plugging away:

updating, releasing, and adopting
adopting, updating and releasing.

Adopt-Update-Release-Rinse-Repeat

And I hereby volunteer to be a Crash Test Kerbal!

#AdoptUpdateRelease
#NoModLeftBehind
#BetaTestingVolunteerKerbal
#CrashTestKerbalVolunteer

Edited by zer0Kerbal

Just now, zer0Kerbal said:

Just means will keep plugging away:

updating, releasing, and adopting
adopting, updating and releasing.

#AdoptUpdateRelease
#NoModLeftBehind

Yes we are still here waiting and being patient as we want a goo.. I meant Great game to be released

2 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

That's in line with what T2 said earlier on ("Fiscal 2022") and probably better for the wallet as micro chip shortages are supposed to be a thing of the past by then. No shocking surprises and a date that's a bit more solid than before. All around, good news!

You mean they had in the Slide "Fiscal Year 2023" which for Take Two is from April 1 2022 - March 31 2023. The slide from the investor presentation for Take Two's Q4 earnings call is now "Quarter 4 Fiscal Year 2023" which is January 2023 - March 2023 (a.k.a "Early 2023").

Hey, more dev time is needed. Crunching+development hell is rough on devs, happy devs are people that want a normal work load, too and  good-working devs. Take all the time you need, what you have shown so far is *amazing* we are happy to wait

26 minutes ago, joratto said:

Cyberpunk was ultimately delayed for longer than KSP2 and it still cyberpunked it. More time does not necessarily yield proportionally better results. Especially not if increasingly-serious deadlines lead to bad working conditions, or if the eventual product fails to live up to an impossibly over-hyped standard.

Fact. But on the other hand, Cyberpunk didn't had to cope with a Series of Unfortunate Events™ as KSP2 is coping now.

26 minutes ago, joratto said:

For the game's own sake, I would prefer if the game wasn't delayed any longer.

This was precisely my thinking until this year's early February.

Right now, given a lot of uncertainty on the World's politics, economics and some other situations I don't think it's worthing to be mentioned here, I suspect that delaying the game could improve their chances of success.

Of course I can't talk for anyone else but me, but I'm going to have a hell of a year - whatever happens to me, however, will be done at the end of the year at most and next year will the the year in which I will start recovering. So, nope. I'm not going to spend too much money on gaming for some time (unless things changes dramatically in the next few months, but experience taught me to be conservative).

I know some people in the exactly same situation, and if people enough are on the same boat as me, this may impact the market for sure.

Edited by Lisias
Some entertaining grammars made less entertaining.

1 minute ago, LukasKerman said:

I think the real hard part is not to explain delays to us but the publishers xD What I wonder is will it be a full-ish release or early access?

The delay is still within the previous guidance from the publishers parent company. So from their fiscal/investor perspective it isn't a delay.

So does this mean there will be a third DLC before then? Just something to keep us flying? (and generate some probably needed influx of startup capital?)

Maybe even 1.12.4 with even more bug fixes?

Edited by zer0Kerbal

"...the universe needs to be rich and interesting to explore." 

This is really the key line for me from today, and the thing that gives me a great deal of hope for what the finished product will be. Honestly with what they've already presented and what we've already all had in KSP1 it would be really easy to furnish a bunch of relatively empty, nondescript planets and call it a day. But from a lot of what's been shown and hinted at from the dev team it seems like fleshing these systems out in a way that both looks cool and also--most importantly--presents interesting gameplay challenges in terms of navigation and resource utilization could make this not just a cool space sim but a really good game. Some folks poo-poo 'gamifcation' and harp on realism and sure there's a fine balance there, but making something that isn't just realistic but actually creates a huge unfolding puzzle that leaves tons of opportunities for creative strategy and deep gameplay is really, really hard. Same with quality of life features like mission planning and brachistochrone interstellar maneuvers and planetary mapping; it would be so easy to skip these and let players deal. It seems to me like Nate and Tom and Shana and the whole crew are really invested in solving these hard problems and making something that's really special and worth playing for thousands of hours and enduring the way KSP1 has. I, for one, have a lot of faith in their intuition to take the time necessary to make that happen.

And let's be real: all games have release day bugs. It's just gonna happen. Here's hoping they aren't show stoppers and can be mopped up in few months. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

4 minutes ago, zer0Kerbal said:

So does this mean there will be a third DLC before then? Just something to keep us flying? (and generate some probably needed influx of startup capital?)

Maybe even 1.12.4 with even more bug fixes?

You probably have a better chance of winning the lottery and getting struck by lighting at the same time while simultaneously getting bit by a shark on dry land. 
 But there is a chance. ;)