Release Date Update from the KSP2 Team

Nate Simpson

Ya know, I'd think that people (who I'll refrain from naming) who are deeply disgusted with how horrible this all is could possibly just not buy the product instead of continually  harping about it. But I guess that's a bit optimistic of me. For my part, well, I guess I'll have more time to play with KSP 1.

4 hours ago, PDCWolf said:

We can discuss how much we know about what could be going on,

Since most of your post is gobbledigook I would like you to tell us in explicit, inside knowledge terms what you think you know about the dissolution of Star Theory and the formation Intercept, since you have clearly divined something that no one else has any evidence of. I need you to tell us exactly what supposed harms were committed against you by dorks making a game about green men going to space  that  we are ignoring. Be as clear on this as you are able. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

5 hours ago, MechBFP said:

All game development for at least the last 20 years has been like that. 

And 20 years ago you got a game from the store on a CD rom and it had the bugs it had and you fixed them yourself or learned to live with it. 20 years from now it'll be climate change wars and global collapse and video games will be a forgotten luxury. We're literally living in the golden age of Dev's giving a damn and still its not enough for some people. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

4 hours ago, PDCWolf said:

I'm gonna group these two comments in a single answer: I feel you can't say "ok you're doing great" to these type of news without consciously deciding to overlook the bad stuff, this is why I call it "blind praise", you're literally closing your eyes and typing something positive. Not only do those kind of comments bring absolutely nothing of value to a discussion (this is a forum, we're here to discuss stuff), but at this point you've gotta overlook so much stuff to just say something like that that we can't just agree it is "interpreting facts in a different way".

Ok, I’m glad we’ve reached this point, since it ends the argument. It seems we have drastically different worldviews. I believe you can choose to talk in positive terms without having to discount the entire story, and you do not. We can continue to debate on semantics (preferably not) or on details (let me know when you have a detail you want to discuss) but the issue of whether positive comments are “ignoring problems” is not one that will be resolved. Now, we can look at other factors, such as the uselessness of getting worked up, but the actual full state of the game and any problems we know about have been acknowledged, as well as anything that could reasonably be a problem if certain inferences are made. 

Awww... I've looked up the "My Friend of Misery" YT link for nothing. :( I don't think anyone is happy that KSP2 was delayed again. But these things happen. You have a choice, let it consume you or just let it go. Since only the investors with T2I and staff at Intercept have any real stake in the development of KSP2, there's no reason to get mad and throw out wild theories on the goings-on with the game development. So just like the diamond interchange that was supposed to be completed 2 years ago near me, I'll just patiently wait for it to be done. 

On 5/19/2022 at 7:45 PM, RayneCloud said:

Yes. 4. Kebral Space Program. Legends of Aethereus. Heliborne. Grumpy Witch. I am also in talks to become a Senior Community and Media Relations manager for the US arm of a AAA studio tomorrow morning. Also, all four of the projects I worked on were Unity Engine projects. I've also done QA/Testing and been a QA Lead, again, for Kerbal Space PRogram, for which I was one of the people who started the Experimental Testing Team and Media Teams for the game whose forums you are on asking me this as you seem to have not read my signature. :)

Wow you worked on KSP? Also where would I find your signature?

7 hours ago, PDCWolf said:

I'm gonna group these two comments in a single answer: I feel you can't say "ok you're doing great" to these type of news without consciously deciding to overlook the bad stuff, this is why I call it "blind praise", you're literally closing your eyes and typing something positive....

And you are consciously deciding to suggest bad stuff, this is why I call it "blind hate", you're literally figuratively closing your eyes and typing something negative.

7 hours ago, PDCWolf said:
  1. Meeting accusations of lying with silence only rises culpability. This is true since one reaches its 5th birthday, and for anything from breaking a plate to a police interrogation.

Tell this to Sean Murray. I'd argue he single handedly dismantles this notion and what seems to be your expectations, both before and after the launch of No Man's Sky.

3 hours ago, PopinFRESH said:

And you are consciously deciding to suggest bad stuff, this is why I call it "blind hate", you're literally figuratively closing your eyes and typing something negative.

I wont call it "hate", but I can't criticise you for doing that neither. But definitively, it's not "blind" - there're clues (if not evidences) that he have good reasons to think how the does. It doesn't means he's right, tough. It only means that perhaps he can be.

3 hours ago, PopinFRESH said:

Tell this to Sean Murray. I'd argue he single handedly dismantles this notion and what seems to be your expectations, both before and after the launch of No Man's Sky.

That's an excellent argument. All the heat NMS got was by Sean Murray losing the control of his anxiety and ending up talking too much before the game release. NMS would still be a bit bleak and somewhat dull game on the launch, but these weakness would not had be so evident at launch without all that heat he inadvertently started by talking too much. 

And, really, the game was good enough to be released. All that bad press was undeserved - but I can't say it was uncalled for...

Staying silent while doing the work is a good way to handle the heat from some stakeholders - as long you have support from the primary ones (the guys that are funding you),  and, believe me, Seam Murray didn't stayed silent to them

IMHO both you and @PDCWolfare forgetting that besides we are stakeholders on this project too, right now we are not the primary ones - we are somewhere between secondary and excluded at this point. :sticktongue:

Until we start to throw some money on the product, they don't own us too much (if any) explanations, so unless they are being naive as Sean Murray was, they are only telling us what some key dude there (a primary stakeholder for sure) thinks they should be explaining.

There're good arguments on both sides of this discussion, and I think we could be getting even some more insights about what's happening if we manage to remember that when arguing.

Spoiler

Now back to the kitchen for some more popcorns - this is getting interesting! :sticktongue:

Edited by Lisias
Grammars. Don't you hate this thing?

Some people here clearly haven't worked in software development, and as someone who does, it shows.

The project I'm working on right now has been going for over three years now; initially everyone thought it would be a 6-9 month job, but then the realities of user needs, legal requirements and making the new system better than the one it was meant to be replacing, rather than just the same but different, set in hard. New people were brought into the team, some of whom did more harm than good and all of whom needed considerable time and a lot of help from existing team members to get up to speed, slowing the project down in the short term. Some people left and were replaced, slowing the project down again. Business requirements were changed repeatedly, at one point causing the team to spend the better part of a year developing a system to tie in with another team, only for said other team to be reprioritised onto something else and all our work ended up unused.

And then 2020 happened, lockdowns started and suddenly everyone was trying to figure out how to work from home, trying to get hold of the right equipment along with hundreds of other employees and generally being disrupted from normal working. Two years later, we're still working from home and have been in the office a total of five times in that time for days full of planning meetings. The team grew, then split, then shrank, then merged again, then shrank some more; objectives kept changing, business requirements kept changing, budgets got cut, people got moved to other teams, contracts were cut, and all the while we kept on doing our best to meet all the deadlines (pretty successfully, I might add) even when the goalposts were actively moving. We're still nowhere near done on this first part of the project, still getting reprioritised to different parts of the system as the higher-ups change their priorities and have years left before anyone will even think about switching off the old system we're meant to be replacing, but that's nothing to do with not wanting to complete the project or doing a bad job.

Look at KSP2 objectively: Take Two is a business, which wants to make money. Would they be funding years of KSP2 development if they thought it wasn't going to recoup those costs? Would they have hired all those people from Star Theory if they thought they were doing a bad job? Bringing Squad and modders like Nertea on board wouldn't have happened without someone pitching a business case to justify the costs involved either.

Even now, nearly three years after the trailer first released (no doubt after a lot of development time had already gone in from Star Theory) they're still willing to fund the game's development for nearly a whole year before the projected release date, and most likely for a long time afterwards.

Enough with all the doom and gloom! Look at all the feature videos, the show and tells and showcases that have been done over the last few years, then think that everything that's been shown so far was in a good enough state at that time that it could be shown publically- meaning there will undoubtedly be a lot more work in progress stuff that wasn't ready to be revealed but which will be to the same standards. Rushing a release never ended well- remember the Cyberpunk 2077 fiasco?

After waiting for three years so far, surely you can manage a few more months?

10 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

And 20 years ago you got a game from the store on a CD rom and it had the bugs it had and you fixed them yourself or learned to live with it. 20 years from now it'll be climate change wars and global collapse and video games will be a forgotten luxury. We're literally living in the golden age of Dev's giving a damn and still its not enough for some people. 

20 years ago games had a level of polish that's been on constant decline, I was getting free shareware off magazines so good that would warrant a trip back to the store the next day to purchase the full game, would know since not only was I alive, I've also got a decent collection of both shareware CDs from mags, and actual game CDs from the time. Every new release requires at least a day 0 patch, let alone multiple hotfixes, or 7 years of delivering missing "features" for NMS.

9 hours ago, t_v said:

Ok, I’m glad we’ve reached this point, since it ends the argument. It seems we have drastically different worldviews. I believe you can choose to talk in positive terms without having to discount the entire story, and you do not. We can continue to debate on semantics (preferably not) or on details (let me know when you have a detail you want to discuss) but the issue of whether positive comments are “ignoring problems” is not one that will be resolved. Now, we can look at other factors, such as the uselessness of getting worked up, but the actual full state of the game and any problems we know about have been acknowledged, as well as anything that could reasonably be a problem if certain inferences are made. 

You assume I'm worked up because you only see me post here. That's fine, but remember that everybody here is human, with their own life outside what they post in the forum. I'm trying to have a decent discussion and only responding to the people that specifically quote me, or feel like they dodged me, except for my first post, but obviously I wouldn't be here if I waited to be quoted on any given topic before posting, now would I. KSP2 is only one of many releases I'm following, and this forum is again one of multiple places I participate online. I'm sure this is true for a lot of people.

7 hours ago, PopinFRESH said:

Being a NMS player, you're going the wrong avenue here. That game started as a scam and took them almost 6 years to implement poodle-depth systems to call their game feature complete. Thankfully KSP development has bothered to go a little deeper than that on every individual system. Further on, the internet went absolutely wild on them, and they got investigated for false advertising, barely clearing the investigation (which focused on its steam page alone). If anything, No Man's Sky is a perfect example of how not to work a pre-launch media campaign.

4 hours ago, Lisias said:

I wont call it "hate", but I can't criticise you for doing that neither. But definitively, it's not "blind" - there're clues (if not evidences) that he have good reasons to think how the does. It doesn't means he's right, tough. It only means that perhaps he can be.

That's an excellent argument. All the heat NMS got was by Sean Murray losing the control of his anxiety and ending up talking too much before the game release. NMS would still be a bit bleak and somewhat dull game on the launch, but these weakness would not had be so evident at launch without all that heat he inadvertently started by talking too much. 

And, really, the game was good enough to be released. All that bad press was undeserved - but I can't say it was uncalled for...

Staying silent while doing the work is a good way to handle the heat from some stakeholders - as long you have support from the primary ones (the guys that are funding you),  and, believe me, Seam Murray didn't stayed silent to them

IMHO both you and @PDCWolfare forgetting that besides we are stakeholders on this project too, right now we are not the primary ones - we are somewhere between secondary and excluded at this point. :sticktongue:

Until we start to throw some money on the product, they don't own us too much (if any) explanations, so unless they are being naive as Sean Murray was, they are only telling us what some key dude there (a primary stakeholder for sure) thinks they should be explaining.

There're good arguments on both sides of this discussion, and I think we could be getting even some more insights about what's happening if we manage to remember that when arguing.

I do know the importance of consumers, we're the ones that are gonna give them the profits, some of us even qualify as franchise consumers, being here for a decade now. I'm sure they're addressing all of these delays and feedback internally, would be great if they said something useful externally though as, as I said before, the only thing going on right now is they've not enabled preorders, which is still an avenue of questioning in itself, but gives them a good couple points at least.

We can't argue or discuss anything if people list issues and concerns and people just jump on them as they're some part of negativistic sect and call "gobbledigook" on them proceeding to look away and ignoring. I've had more fruitful discussions with flat earthers at this point.

2 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

Enough with all the doom and gloom! Look at all the feature videos, the show and tells and showcases that have been done over the last few years, then think that everything that's been shown so far was in a good enough state at that time that it could be shown publically

I think what's more important is what hasn't been shown. Gameplay is notoriously absent. That, to me, tells the physics engine is what they're having issues with.

And that worries me, a fundamental system that's still so deep in the development it's not being publicly shown so late in development.

I hope they can get things working by next year, but I've heard this song way too many times. I don't expect 2023 release unless we get a video with the new physics...

Edited by craidie

24 minutes ago, craidie said:

I think what's more important is what hasn't been shown. Gameplay is notoriously absent. That, to me, tells the physics engine is what they're having issues with.

Nah, it's a meteorite! It's absolutely a meteorite.

Everybody knows that when they don't show a complete playthrough at least a year before release it can only mean a meteorite must have hit the studio.

The Evil PR guys at T2 are just desperately trying to hide the smoking crater.

When we're finished spouting nonsense then we can all collectively go outside the KSP sphere once in our lives and look around and see that not having the whole gameplay on video (or any at all) a year before release it's pretty standard across the industry.

Edited by Master39

11 minutes ago, Master39 said:

Everybody knows that when they don't show a complete playthrough at least a year before release it can only mean a meteorite must have hit the studio.

I'm not asking for the whole game in a video. Even cyberpunk had a gameplay video out.

16 hours ago, PDCWolf said:

I call it "blind praise", you're literally closing your eyes and typing something positive

Exactly. You can also call it copium. Most posts are from people who think they are somehow employed by the publisher or have some pre-built relationship with the devs. No, we are just clients interested in a product.

Pointing the finger away from KSP, communication and marketing in game development is among the worst I have seen in any professional field, with marketing practices among the most immoral and very close to gambling, sugar selling and drug dealing. You can clearly see it in the false promises, hype building and monetization practices.

Pointing the finger towards KSP, it's been 3 years of delays and almost 2 months without any good news about the game or solid info about requested features. Silence is not good communication, neither is being absolutely terrified of saying or showing anything specific about KSP2.

So don't tell me the client is to blame for requesting information about the product. @Deddly

38 minutes ago, Master39 said:

not having the whole gameplay on video (or any at all) a year before release it's pretty standard across the industry

1 year turned into 2.. then we thought it would launch this summer, then in autumn, now we're back to release being 1 year away again. I wish my girlfriend was as easy to bait & switch & keep content.

1 hour ago, Vl3d said:

So don't tell me the client is to blame for requesting information about the product.

A product that nobody has paid a cent for yet.   The studio is not beholden to any of the fans yet, only themselves.   They’ll do what they want when they want, because they know that even the most vocal naysayers will be the first in line, cash in hand, when that day comes.  
Till that day comes, there’s other things in life that will fill your time.   Much better to be enjoying life than to be sitting here making up rumors and supposition on a topic few people know any details about.  

7 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

the most vocal naysayers will be the first in line, cash in hand, when that day comes

I'm not a naysayer, I believe in this game and in the team, I just hate the radio silence and secrecy.

25 minutes ago, craidie said:

I'm not asking

That's the point. You're not asking, you're making up absurd theories with no basis in reality.

"if they haven't shown gameplay than it means problems with the physics engine" It's not a question, it's a theory.

If you wanted to write a question you could have written something like:

"Can you please show us some gameplay?"

10 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

1 year turned into 2..

Last time I checked between May 2022 and March 2023 there's less than a full year, not 2.

4 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

I'm not a naysayer, I believe in this game and in the team, I just hate the radio silence and secrecy.

But you claimed to be a client. 

That’s the whole point.  

There are no clients.  

42 minutes ago, craidie said:

I'm not asking for the whole game in a video. Even cyberpunk had a gameplay video out.

Interesting comparison because the final product looked nothing like presented video. (Turned out worse, in case you forgot)

1 hour ago, Vl3d said:

Silence is not good communication, neither is being absolutely terrified of saying or showing anything specific about KSP2.

Good communication is of course telling you exactly what you want to hear, when you want to hear it. 

A very professional approach indeed. 

1 hour ago, Vl3d said:

So don't tell me the client is to blame for requesting information about the product. @Deddly

I didn't offer an opinion. I paraphrased the history of KSP production. If you read blame into that, then that's your perogative.