my ship is accelerating for no reason

28 minutes ago, safeish said:

i was trying to launch my sea dragon replica but when i get into space the apoapsis starts to increase despite the engines and rcs being off. its really annoying but i have no idea how to fix it.

Hello, @safeish, and welcome to the forum. Can you post a picture or two of your craft? And also, if you go to the screen to show your vessel's trajectory, and post a picture of that, it could help in diagnosing your issue.

Without seeing any of that, I really can't begin to help you in any meaningful way.

On 5/16/2022 at 10:30 PM, adsii1970 said:

Hello, @safeish, and welcome to the forum. Can you post a picture or two of your craft? And also, if you go to the screen to show your vessel's trajectory, and post a picture of that, it could help in diagnosing your issue.

Without seeing any of that, I really can't begin to help you in any meaningful way.

i dont know how to send images lol

What mods are you using? Some old part mods or old versions of Kerbal Joint Reinforcement may have weird bugs with newer KSP versions.

Did you offset parts during construction? That can sometimes trigger physics glitches, although I haven't seen that bug in a very long time and maybe it's gone in 1.12.3,

Hi there, welcome to the KSP forum.

On 5/16/2022 at 10:58 PM, safeish said:

but when i get into space the apoapsis starts to increase despite the engines and rcs being off.

You're going to have to be a bit more specific, I'm afraid. :D KSP is notorious for having 1001 ways to generate phantom forces, intentional or not.

An image is likely not going to be enough to diagnose this - it's hard to see if parts are placed/clipped/configured in just the kind of ways that might have this effect. Try uploading your craft file (kerbalx.com, dropbox, google drive, etc) and post the link to it here.

On 5/19/2022 at 10:01 PM, DeadJohn said:

What mods are you using? Some old part mods or old versions of Kerbal Joint Reinforcement may have weird bugs with newer KSP versions.

Did you offset parts during construction? That can sometimes trigger physics glitches, although I haven't seen that bug in a very long time and maybe it's gone in 1.12.3,

i did offset parts
mods are:
camera tools
E.V.E
luna multiplayer
planetshine
scatterer
trajectories

On 5/20/2022 at 9:52 AM, swjr-swis said:

Hi there, welcome to the KSP forum.

You're going to have to be a bit more specific, I'm afraid. :D KSP is notorious for having 1001 ways to generate phantom forces, intentional or not.

An image is likely not going to be enough to diagnose this - it's hard to see if parts are placed/clipped/configured in just the kind of ways that might have this effect. Try uploading your craft file (kerbalx.com, dropbox, google drive, etc) and post the link to it here.

https://kerbalx.com/safeish/sea-dragon

22 hours ago, safeish said:

Big ship with lots of stuff going on, but I can't see anything that's a dead giveaway for phantom forces.

So I figured I'd test launch, but I can't even get it to launch without exploding. I assume it's meant to be cheated somewhere into the ocean before launching. I tried that, but before it settles down enough to launch, it just topples over and explodes halfway down to the water - apparently because the reaction wheels drain all EC within seconds. The staging order also seems wrong - decoupling order that can only lead to explosions if it did manage to lift off.

The craft description and the upload page give no launch instructions; not sure if I'm missing something crucial here. Since I can't get it to launch to test and don't understand the intended working, I have no idea which section of the ship even gets to the point where you mention having the issue.

Can you check to make sure you have the upload correct, and/or add a little explanation of the intended launch sequence?

22 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

Big ship with lots of stuff going on, but I can't see anything that's a dead giveaway for phantom forces.

So I figured I'd test launch, but I can't even get it to launch without exploding. I assume it's meant to be cheated somewhere into the ocean before launching. I tried that, but before it settles down enough to launch, it just topples over and explodes halfway down to the water - apparently because the reaction wheels drain all EC within seconds. The staging order also seems wrong - decoupling order that can only lead to explosions if it did manage to lift off.

The craft description and the upload page give no launch instructions; not sure if I'm missing something crucial here. Since I can't get it to launch to test and don't understand the intended working, I have no idea which section of the ship even gets to the point where you mention having the issue.

Can you check to make sure you have the upload correct, and/or add a little explanation of the intended launch sequence?

oh right lol....
so what i do is as soon as it loads into the world i cheat it into the water, make sure to turn on rcs and sas and if you want to, point radial out.
i dont think the staging is wrong?

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, safeish said:

figured it out i think, it was something to do with vessel easing

Good news!

We're always interested in mission reports in this forum. A Sea Dragon launch would make a spectacular one. Hint hint. ;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.