A Self Directed Research , Development and Exploration Program

Randall Shelaga

As a retired aerostructures engineer, and finally having time to enter the worlds of Kerbal, I am interested in my own self directed research, development and exploration program. That is take the existing components and test them (i.e. engine in a test stand to obtain performance data, test launch escape systems, component arrangements and effects, etc.), starting with rudimentary engines (a V2 parallel), working through basic engineering and science progressing through to Kerbin orbit and science collection... I think you can continue with the path I am considering...Vikerbal, Kerssini, Kerbal Horizons.

Is this a pipe dream? Any suggestions as to add-ins or extensions to accommodate the R&D side of things...

Looking for experienced guidance, some sly misdirection and whatever falls my way.

Mods like DangIt and OhScrap gives you the opportunity to work on/repair the parts on your vehicle, since both mods makes the parts fail time to time. I believe with OhScrap you have to test parts (engine, parachute, antenna, etc) to increase their efficiency from 0 to somewhat over 50%, while with DangIt you start with 100% and the parts will slowly degrade so you have to repair them later.

Then of course you can still look for various (for example historical) tech tree mods as well.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.