Major events in the future?

CFYL

I'm curious about the timeline of some major events. Natural events that can't be changed with current techology. I'm listing some of them but I don't know the exact order.

1. Phobos disappears (collide into Mars / break into a ring?)
  2. Saturn ring disappears
  3. Gliese 710 (a red dwarf) enters the Oort clound and distributes comets all over the solar system
  4. Voyager flies past first star

More events? Some of these won't happen?

Given that it would take tens of thousands of years for V-ger to reach Alpha Centauri (were it aimed that way)... yeah, it passing another star is gonna be a while.

Phobos is nearing Mars at a rate of six feet (1.8 meters) every hundred years; at that rate, it will either crash into Mars in 50 million years or break up into a ring

Gliese - projected to pass near the Sun in about 1.29 million years

O'Donoghue and other scientists estimate that the rings will disappear in about 300 million years. 

I think Phobos will be systematically moved away from or into Mars, or disassembled by human descendants long before its natural demise.

I'm also reading some talk that this ring-moon business might be cyclical.

Edited by cubinator

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_far_future

There something off with this list though. An event listed is the estimated time for the recovery of biodiversity if the Holocene extinction event is on the scale of the previous ones. However it then mentions the background extinction rate and how most current species won’t exist by them anyways (10 million years from now).

However, these things don’t have anything to do with each other. Biodiversity =/= “the species alive right now” or some weird interpretation, just the general diversity of species at any given time.

This makes me wonder what other errors may lurk.

Most of famous modern species (like humans, cats, horses) are about 5..10 mln years old, so they have a lot of time to train a replacement.

Anyway, 50..250 mln years later the Earth will be too hostile for high life forms.

On 5/18/2022 at 6:47 AM, cubinator said:

I think Phobos will be systematically moved away from or into Mars, or disassembled by human descendants long before its natural demise.

I'm also reading some talk that this ring-moon business might be cyclical.

50 million freaking years. Humanity will probably not exist nearly that long. Also, Triton is losing its orbit too, and will probably become Neptune's Saturn-like rings.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.