A question for all. Did you ever land on an another planet, and return to kerbin safely?

yoarebignoob

1 hour ago, Curveball Anders said:

Duna, Dres, Moho and Mün, Minmus, Ike and Gilly.

All missions went ok, with occasional panics, doh!s and rescue/refuel missions.

Very very nice

13 hours ago, Admiral Fluffy said:

Yes. I have actually landed many places. The places I have returned from are the Mun, Minmus, Duna, Ike, and Laythe.

very very nice

Mun & Minmus, which are not really planets

on console I got to Duna a fair few times but %CONSOLE% issues such as bouncing landing legs etc nerfed the landings of the return capable craft

got to Dres on the PC,  will get around Duna again at some point, managed Ike though

most missions follow a reasonably basic pattern, orbital return first,  uncrewed lander test flight, then a crewed mission

Everywhere multiple times in the stock system, and on many modded planets. I also made a point to travel on the ground (rover or plane where possible) on every planet.

While most people who started this game probably stopped before landing on Mun, and most players stopped without visiting the other planet, I doubt many of those write on the forum.

Mun, Minmus, and Ike.  Full round trips.  Just starting to research what will be needed to do an Ike - Duna - Ike mission.  

It would be interesting to know just what percentage of players have actually gone to the various places.

I did a full Grand Tour of all the planets and moons (except Jool, obviously) in a single mission, with the added complication of Kerbalism which adds life support, part failures, crew health and stress, engine ignition and burn limits and more. Eve was the hardest landing and requires by far the largest and heaviest lander, however the most dangerous place to land was Vall- radiation levels on and around Vall are extremely high due to Jool’s powerful radiation belts, and while it’s even worse in orbit of Laythe the atmosphere absorbs most of it making the surface a lot less deadly.

Out of all the stock planets and moons, Moho takes the most delta-V to get to and from, Tylo requires the most delta-V to land on, Eve requires the most delta-V to return to orbit (aerobraking and parachutes make the landing effectively free) and Eeloo was probably my least favourite; the only real reason why it’s not Dres is because I once did a daring single-orbit landing and return on Dres with a small lander while the mothership was whizzing by on an escape trajectory, which was required when I was critically low on fuel during my first Grand Tour attempt and was the last landing before returning to Kerbin at ludicrous speed having missed out Moho, Mun and Minmus entirely.

I’ve also done crewed landings on the Moon, Mars and Phobos in RSS with RO and RP-1, which also includes an even more realistic Kerbalism configuration, and a crewed orbital mission to Venus in the same save. Across other saves, I’ve landed crews on most of the bodies in Beyond Home’ Tempus system and all the moons of Janus (Jool) plus Janus itself in Kerbol system, along with probes to some other planets and moons; visited Duna, Ike and some of Jool’s moons in JNSQ with a crewed missions; and landed probes on Iota and Ceti, the moons of Gael in Galileo’s Planet Pack.

A simple but effective lander design is: Mk1 pod or lander can > FL-T400 fuel tank > Terrier engine, with some landing legs on the bottom of the tank. Flown properly, it’s enough to land on every airless body in the stock system bar Tylo and can even land on Duna with some parachutes to assist in the landing, or serve as the ascent stage of a two-stage Tylo lander or the upper stage of a lander for Eve and Laythe. Attach power generation and stir age, RCS, communication gear and/or science experiments as required and you’ve got a cheap, reliable design that can go just about anywhere.

Edited by jimmymcgoochie

So far I have done 3 interplanetary missions to Duna and back, but not much else outside Kerbin's SOI. However I do hope to visit another planet before KSP 2 Releases. I remember on my first Duna mission I had to do a 7 minute burn to set up a Kerbin return trajectory because the planets weren't aligned properly and I was using nuclear engines which are quite slow compared to normal vacuum engines. That was fun. I have done a few more interplanetary missions but those were one way probes, my most memorable one being a probe I sent to investigate Jool and it's first 3 moons, then I flew it into Jool when the mission was done.

On 5/21/2022 at 6:06 PM, miklkit said:

Mun, Minmus, and Ike.  Full round trips.  Just starting to research what will be needed to do an Ike - Duna - Ike mission.  

It would be interesting to know just what percentage of players have actually gone to the various places.

Ike-Duna-Ike is my favorite and maybe most used trip. Just use decent aerodynamics, brakes, chutes and about 3100 m/s of dV. It is enough to make it through polar orbits.

• 2 weeks later...

Returned safely from all the planets minus Jool (because.... gas giant), as well as all the moons and a few asteroids. Not done a single mission grand tour, but have done the Jool 5 twice.

Edited by purpleivan

Yes, returned from all individually, and some after local tours, but yet to do a grand tour.

I'm proudest of taking an SSTO spaceplane, the Buzzard, to Eve and back with 3 kerbals.

It flew under its own power to LKO.  I sent its 3x relay/survey sat piggyback payload ahead to Eve, while waiting to be refuelled, then followed once topped up.  On arrival at Eve orbit, the buzzard descended, gilding down to a suitable equatorial landing site to deploy the drill & ISRU, plus surface science payloads.

Once refuelled, ducted fans powered by fuel cells took the buzzard out of the thickest atmosphere.  Vectors and Nervs took it the rest of the way to orbit.  From there it refuelled from the relays transfer stage and returned to Kerbin for a smooth glide landing.

I've landed on every planet and moon that you can stand on in the stock game and returned to Kerbin. I also did a grand tour and a Jool-5. I've also "landed" on Jool itself, by which I mean descend a probe into the atmosphere under parachute until it reaches an altitude of -250m and explodes. My goal is to one day also "land" on Jool with a Kerballed craft and return to Kerbin but I haven't managed to do that yet.

A while ago I started a new campaign I call "Leave Nothing but Bootprints", with the aim of planting a flag on every planet and moon and return to Kerbin, only using fully reusable craft and no ISRU. In that campaign I have since landed on and returned from the Mün, Minmus, Gilly, Ike, Duna, Dres, Laythe, Bop and Poll with SSTO spaceplanes, and on Vall and Eeloo using space shuttles with flyback boosters. For this campaign I'm currently in the final stages of designing an Eve SSTO. I've got hardware for Moho and ideas on how to tackle Tylo, but no landings as of yet.

I have landed on the mun, minmus, duna, ike, and gilly and returned kerbals from there in a career mode. havent advanced past there in career.
but in sandbox? i am soon going to return kerbals from a jool 5 mission that has gone on really long due to having to deliver multiple ships and modules to fix the mistakes i made lol

I've sent at least 1 manned mission and return from almost every planet and moon. I've sent incalculable amounts of missions to Mun and Minmus, with setting up bases and outposts of various sizes. I've sent several missions to Eve orbit and Gilly, but never have l actually attempted a landing there. I've sent numerous manned vessels to Duna and Ike. I've sent at least one manned mission to Dres, and I've sent a manned mission to but never returned from Eeloo. In the Jool system I've done a Jool 5. Even did a Moho mission with an absolute monster of a vessel.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.