Coolest kerbal name in your program?

On my old, now corrupted save, I had a SPAGHETTI KERMAN! On his first and only spaceflight, he was sent to the "Eye to the sky" space station and stayed there forever. Well, bye bye Spaghetti.

But on my current save. Can you guess it?

No you cant. Its @James Kerman! Yes, I have a random kerbal with that name!

Edited by Aerodynamic Kerbal

1 hour ago, James Kerman said:

Send him into the sun. As an Kaustralian he will have better heat tolerance than the rest of the kerbals.

Im sure he wont need a capsule. He can definitely just get some sunbaths while seating in the external command chair!

Edited by Aerodynamic Kerbal

I vote my coolest guy Adai Kerman.

What's so special about that name? the kerbalism mod has a stress mechanic, and stressed astronauts create problems. different astronauts have more or less resistance to stress, according to a random algorithm that uses their names as random seed.

well, I did some training to select the coolest astronauts; I sent up a good 40ish kerbals in a large sky hotel for three years. Three real time years, equivalent to roughly 9 kerbal years. And afterwards, I'd check their stress. And of all the 40ish participants to the experiment, adai was the one with the lowest stress value. He's the coolest guy possible; cool-headed, at least

On 5/20/2022 at 4:47 PM, king of nowhere said:

I vote my coolest guy Adai Kerman.

What's so special about that name? the kerbalism mod has a stress mechanic, and stressed astronauts create problems. different astronauts have more or less resistance to stress, according to a random algorithm that uses their names as random seed.

well, I did some training to select the coolest astronauts; I sent up a good 40ish kerbals in a large sky hotel for three years. Three real time years, equivalent to roughly 9 kerbal years. And afterwards, I'd check their stress. And of all the 40ish participants to the experiment, adai was the one with the lowest stress value. He's the coolest guy possible; cool-headed, at least

That's a pretty cool story!

Still, I want an answer to the question, what's so special about that name?

I think on a computer I used to use, I had a Benjamin Kerman. I think he was even an engineer; maybe KSP is trying to tell me something. (although my full first name is spelled slightly differently)

11 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

That's a pretty cool story!

Still, I want an answer to the question, what's so special about that name?

nothing, really. it's just a combination of letters that for purely random reasons gave a low vulnerability to stress.

I think they used the names of the kerbals as seed for a couple of practical reasons; first, it would ensure that the same kerbal was consistent throughout the career; there's no other value that would remain after multiple missions.

Second, they tweaked the algorithm so that the basic 4 kerbals are all good; bob, bill and jeb also have extremely good resistance to stress (during the experiment they had accumulated 21/22% stress, average was 30%, adai at 20% was the only one better than them); val is not as good and she didn't get to participate in my subsequent mission, but she's still well above average with 26%

I don't know about coolest, maybe strangest - I got a Stalin Kerman once.  After the rescue mission, I made him a her and changed name to Svetlana

I also got a Thompberry Kerman once on a rescue contract.  IIRC the spelling was slightly different than from Saga of Emiko Station, but close enough to worry me.

Edited by Cavscout74

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.