Eve SSTA ∞ | Single Stage to Eve Sea Level and Back without Ion Engines

Alpaca Z

I believe I have created the first ever stock+DLC craft capable of reaching Kerbin from Eve sea level in a single stage, with no kraken/magic/clipping or ion engines.

As a result, it can be infinitely reused. It can also land on any other terrestrial bodies in the stock Kerbol system, so it is Single Stage to Anywhere.

The video is here: 

More information and the craft file can be found in the description of the video.

15 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

As big airplanes go, that is a very big airplane. 

Yes it is, I never built another plane exceeding 200 t before. 

But if you compare it with Brad's 2000 t Eve SSTO, this one seems to be reasonably small.

On 5/21/2022 at 9:26 PM, Alpaca Z said:

no kraken/magic/clipping

I do believe I saw a large amount of wing-clipping, which could probably explain the massive amount of lift generated.  If it is indeed over 200t, then the only reason that it can even take off, SSTO-wise, is the wing clipping. Nevertheless, it looks great, and its a awesome craft! Also, how did it take off from Eve? It looked like no engines were firing, and no fuel levels were shown at the stage level. I may be wrong, but it looks like some kraken was used :)

Edited by ArthritisGuy
Added question :)

13 minutes ago, ArthritisGuy said:

I do believe I saw a large amount of wing-clipping, which could probably explain the massive amount of lift generated.  If it is indeed over 200t, then the only reason that it can even take off, SSTO-wise, is the wing clipping. Nevertheless, it looks great, and its a awesome craft! Also, how did it take off from Eve? It looked like no engines were firing, and no fuel levels were shown at the stage level. I may be wrong, but it looks like some kraken was used :)

The ascent to 15 km is driven by DLC ducted fan propellers, take a look at 0:27 of the video, or maybe the detail video: 

The wing-clipping is mostly for aesthetics. Originally I just attach each wing without overlapping, and it flies just fine (as long as I keep the CoM and CoL roughly at the same position).

However, I just don't like the looking, it was so ugly... so I arranged them in a (in my opinion) better-looking shape for the actual mission. 

The key point is that this type of wing clipping does not reduce drag or change any performance of the craft, it should do the same job without wing clipping. 

As an example, take a look at Brad Whistance Eve cargo SSTO:

I could have the wings arranged in multiple layers as he did, but it doesn't look quite like a plane (again in my opinion)...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.