KSP 1 DLCs in KSP 2

As of yet, the availiability of DLC or even all the stock parts has not been discussed. I see it as unlikely that we get DLC parts in the base game and I think that some of the normal stockparts will be rebalanced or removed. 

Edited by t_v

19 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

Did you ever have to pay for additional content from one thing in a sequel/next installment?

good point.

42 minutes ago, t_v said:

some of the normal people parts

what is this supposed to mean?

I thought at one point they said every part from KSP1 would also be in KSP2. There will be redesigns/reworking of them though. For example, what is known now is that the NERV will be 2.5 meters in diameter instead of 1.25 meters. Some may remain identical though because we have seen the Mk3 command pod in some images released, and it looks identical to that of KSP1 apart from the paint scheme having been changed (presumably using the new color editor).

I also recall it being said that Making History parts would be available stock in KSP2, however that was around when they said Breaking Ground/robotics might not be in the game, which is an outdated statement now, so it could not matter- although the fact that there is a possibility of robotics stock makes Making History stock still possible.

5 minutes ago, SunlitZelkova said:

For example, what is known now is that the NERV will be 2.5 meters in diameter instead of 1.25 meters

Are you confusing the NERV with the new retractable engine?

5 minutes ago, SunlitZelkova said:

I also recall it being said that Making History parts would be available stock in KSP2

That's a given since even MH+Stock is a barebones parts list.

2 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Are you confusing the NERV with the new retractable engine?

What's the new retractable engine? Is it literally a retractable engine, or does that have another meaning?

27 minutes ago, Rutabaga22 said:

What's the new retractable engine? Is it literally a retractable engine, or does that have another meaning?

It has a nozzle that pulls back over the engine. This could be used for volume constraints, sea level / space modes, or a combination of the two.

34 minutes ago, SunlitZelkova said:

We saw both the revamped NERV and the new NERV-US LANTR in this show and tell-

7 hours ago, Rutabaga22 said:

Will we have to pay for breaking ground and making history parts, or will we have them for free???

Those DLC are for KSP1, not KSP2. 

Your question is equivalent to something like “Will we get the Tribunal and Bloodmoon DLC from Elder Scrolls 3 for free in Elder Scrolls 4 or will we have to pay for it?” Its a nonsensical question.

They could recreate that exact same content for KSP2, but don’t count on it.

Im guessing many will, but probably not the robotic parts. Id be pretty happy with a full overhaul of the part inventory because there are a lot of weird gaps. Structural parts particularly. (Can we just have low-profile, medium, and steep adapters with tank options between each form factor?) 

Im also pretty happy for them to restructure the engines to make a solid set of intermediate size/ power options for each fuel system. Im sure we’ll have big parts but a big question is the 1.875m parts which are super handy.

And Breaking Ground also did a bunch of interesting things with the science system that I hope are considered in more integrated way.

Long story short we don’t really know?

Edited by Pthigrivi

5 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

LANTR =/= NERV,  just because they are both nuclear thermal rockets doesn't mean they are the same engine. Just like how swivel =/= mainsail just because theyre both liquid chemical rockets. If anything I bet NERV will be one of the early nuclear thermal rockets and LANTR will come soon after with its additional LOX augmentation

4 hours ago, joratto said:

I hope they at least include the current ksp1 textures as an option.

New poodles > old poodle. Change my mind.

If you're referring to the poodle seen in announcement trailer, then 1) yes, they said the trailer was made before poodle got a revamp and 2) you can see new poodle installed on the ship in one of the development videos.

2 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

LANTR =/= NERV,  just because they are both nuclear thermal rockets doesn't mean they are the same engine. Just like how swivel =/= mainsail just because theyre both liquid chemical rockets. If anything I bet NERV will be one of the early nuclear thermal rockets and LANTR will come soon after with its additional LOX augmentation

Read the post I linked.

A few details for our forum friends: This is a 2.5m part that, like the new NERV, runs on liquid hydrogen fuel. [Emphasis added]

And obviously in the picture there is both the shorter LANTR and the larger engine which is presumably the revamped NERV.

The LANTR has been given the name NERV-US, despite LANTRs in real life having no relation to the real life NERVA engine which the NERV's name comes from.

4 hours ago, razark said:

This raises the question "are DLC parts considered KSP1 parts?".

That quote (which I read on this forum of someone quoting a Q&A I think) referred specifically to the stock KSP1 parts.

It was from as far back as 2020 though so things could have changed.

24 minutes ago, SunlitZelkova said:

Read the post I linked.

And obviously in the picture there is both the shorter LANTR and the larger engine which is presumably the revamped NERV.

The LANTR has been given the name NERV-US, despite LANTRs in real life having no relation to the real life NERVA engine which the NERV's name comes from.

That quote (which I read on this forum of someone quoting a Q&A I think) referred specifically to the stock KSP1 parts.

It was from as far back as 2020 though so things could have changed.

I am pretty certain that when they said that, they mean "this engine runs on the same stuff as the NERV" rather than "this engine is 2.5, like the NERV." Even if that's a little iffy, I'm pretty sure also that both models are just the two different states of the new engine.

22 minutes ago, SunlitZelkova said:

NERV=NERV

LANTR(old name)=NERV-US(new name)

NERV-US (LANTR)≠NERV.

To avoid further confusion, there's no NERV presented anywhere - NERVUS has a retractable nozzle: 

3 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

Those two images are of the same engine - one in the extended position and one in the retracted position. 

20 hours ago, Rutabaga22 said:

Will we have to pay for breaking ground and making history parts, or will we have them for free???

I see the likelihood of all currently available (non-mod) features being readily available as part of KSP2.  At a minimum, the features developed through the years (placeable science, programmable parts, etc) will be things that the current fans expect as core features of Vanilla KSP2.  (I also expect some things that originated as mods being integrated features in KSP2).

That said; I also expect that in the years following release, good ideas will manifest and they'll add DLC for us to keep up our interest in the game and extend the lifetime of the title.  

17 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

The picture isn't showing you two engines, it's showing you one engine;

On 6/25/2021 at 5:01 PM, StarSlay3r said:

its vacuum nozzle can be retracted for use in atmosphere.

But, if you were looking at this, this can just mean they rebalanced the old NERV. There's no conceivable reason to make the original KSP 1 NERV 2x bigger for KSP 2.

On 6/25/2021 at 5:01 PM, StarSlay3r said:

like the new NERV

Regarding the old NERV, I just hope it no longer generates "extra heat" like it currently does in KSP 1. And I hope it gets a significant performance increase. Not in specific impulse, that's fine. What I need is more TWR, which means either more thrust or less mass. I'm not picky, I'll take either one.

The Nerv in KSP 1 got nerfed and nerfed and nerfed until I'd rather take a Poodle every single time (and back before they nerfed the Wolfhound's dry mass, that particular engine was LITERALLY ALWAYS better than the Nerv, and doubly so when you consider factors like the heat output of the Nerv and the fact that you need to either have fuel tanks with half of their resources missing (if you use LFO tanks but only put LF in them in stock KSP, which eats into your mass ratios), or you need to use the spaceplane LF tanks (which still have an inferior dry/wet mass ratio, aka they're heavier than they need to be for what they carry).

I mean, is it such a crime if I get 7.5km/s of delta-V out of a Nerv based transfer stage?
Including the payload mass (so not just "the stage itself has this much delta-V", because that particular number isn't as useful as "this stage with X tons extra mass that it's pushing around has this much delta-V"), of course.
Additionally is it such a crime if that engine doesn't take up half an hour of my IRL time to burn thru an average injection burn from Kerbin orbit to intercept the SOI of another planet (usually Jool)? Being able to have the vessel thrust while on rails is nice and all, but I additionally shouldn't have to split up my maneuver nodes, not when I'm using a nuclear thermal rocket (maybe when using an ion engine tho, that would be fair enough I guess).
And why can't I have all that without having to deal with excess heat from the dang thing, what was it put together by kindergartners that were somehow immune to the effects of radiation sickness?
Thing runs hot as if the reactor core's already got half its cooling channels blocked by crud! Fix that, it used to be that we had to do that to get the engine's "thermal" animations work, but we don't have to do that anymore, they took that "feature" off the Mainsail LONG ago, yet it stays on the Nerv, why?

Put shortly, "don't let your hate of all things Nuclear interfere with the fact that the laws of physics say that a nuclear thermal rocket is actually a fantastically good idea if you can deal with the radiation".

I think it comes from Harvester saying something along the lines of "if this engine was as good as it's supposed to be IRL there would be no reason to use anything else in space", and you know what, he's right. But that shouldn't mean that you nerf it so that it's only barely better than a chemical engine, because that does a massive disservice to the true power of atomic energy. (seriously, go look at a linear-scale chart of energy content per unit mass of common chemical fuels, compared to even natural (aka not enriched) uranium).
(the reason I say linear scale chart is that a log scale chart doesn't quite ping the right neurons, your brain has to do too much math before you start thinking "this is much better" and that's not the reaction I'm going for).

EDIT: I am not giving you the room to fit an excuse in for why you didn't look for the chart. Here (it may be XKCD but it's not inaccurate)

Edited by SciMan

13 hours ago, The Aziz said:

NERV=NERV

LANTR(old name)=NERV-US(new name)

NERV-US (LANTR)≠NERV.

To avoid further confusion, there's no NERV presented anywhere - NERVUS has a retractable nozzle: 

But what does “like the new NERV” refer to? They only mentioned the LANTR/NERV-US in the post.

My statement regarding the revamping has been reduced to speculation but there does seem to be some “other NERV” unseen yet.

In any case it seems the thing regarding the Poodle engine you mentioned indicates at least some KSP1 parts will appear in KSP2.