Interesting results

Nazalassa

Someome playing KSP2 will have a save in which a certain Kaptin James T. Kerman of the starship Enterprise will do a slingshot maneuvre too close to the sun and accidentally travel back in time. 

The first thing I wondered was what it's using as its boundary condition when parsing.  For example, is it counting incidence of "KSP" only as a term of its own, or is it counting any word in which the sequence "k, s, p" occurs?

For example, Shakespeare's name has been spelled in various ways over the years.  "Shakspere" is one example.  Would that be counted here, or not?  (I don't know anything about how Google Books Ngram is implemented.)

That said, though, I just went and did a Google Books search for "KSP" and constrained it to 1700-1750.  Turns out that it appears a fair number of times, referring to other things of course.

https://www.google.com/search?q=KSP&source=lnt&tbs=cdr%3A1%2Ccd_min%3A1700%2Ccd_max%3A1750&tbm=bks

10 minutes ago, Snark said:

The first thing I wondered was what it's using as its boundary condition when parsing.  For example, is it counting incidence of "KSP" only as a term of its own, or is it counting any word in which the sequence "k, s, p" occurs?

For example, Shakespeare's name has been spelled in various ways over the years.  "Shakspere" is one example.  Would that be counted here, or not?  (I don't know anything about how Google Books Ngram is implemented.)

That said, though, I just went and did a Google Books search for "KSP" and constrained it to 1700-1750.  Turns out that it appears a fair number of times, referring to other things of course.

The weird thing, though, is that "Kerbal" spikes at the same time as "KSP". I think it's just a bug, though.

I tried a lot of stuff, changing some parameters etc, and it does not appear to be a bug.

Yup, I searched on Google Books, and found this:

hmmm4.png

in a book from 1723. Kerbal seems to be a kind of city.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.