Rescue mission - what is with the leaved spacecraft?

Hi Nauts,

a new Kerbalnaut need your help.

I have done now some rescue missions, successfully. But after that, the leaved spacecraft of the rescued Kerbal is tsill in the orbit and i can see that in the map.

Is this normal? When i make 10 rescue mission, will there be 10 spacecrafts in this orbit? or what can i do with that or what should i do?

For your help and hints, thanks in advance.

The craft in orbit become yours. It's as if you left them there.

You can terminate them in the tracking station to unclutter your map mode, go up with another craft and recover them, or just ignore them.

Recovering them can be fun the first few times. It's a logical puzzle building a ship that can grab something from orbit and land it safely) but after you solve that puzzle the task can get repetitive quickly. Also, any rocket you send up to get the piece will probably be more expensive than the piece itself.

So, I suggest you terminate all the ones currently in the tracking station, then the next couple contracts you take you try to actually grab the craft and bring it home. When you get bored of that just go back to terminating the empty craft after you save the Kerbal inside.

Welcome to the forum @PixelDude, Once you have rescued the kerbal the pods become space junk. If you go into the tracking station you can delete the empty pods by selecting them in the column on the left and then clicking x bottom left (circled in yellow):
YUIS9ux.png

Ninja'd! :happy:

Edited by James Kerman
Stuff up

Or.... and just throwing this out there... just bring all the pieces you find together to 'organically' grow your very first space station. A space station of lost and found spacecraft parts.

The Lost and Found Space Hotel. Come stay a night at our growing collection of quaint abandoned pods of mysteriously stranded kerbals.

<starts walking off talking to no one in particular>

Some say, when you're really quiet -and space is really, really quiet- you can still hear the screams for help of the former occupants when they first realized they were marooned in space.

<rubbing hands>

Yes... yes I can make this work. They'll be lining up for tickets! Muhahaha!

<stops and looks suspiciously over both shoulders, then scurries off>

Kerbal rescue contracts are the same as rover or satellite repair contracts- the crafts are yours to do whatever you like with afterwards. Keep them, bin them, recover them on Kerbin, it’s up to you.

I tend to do all those rescue missions by grabbing the pod and returning the whole thing to the surface- more funds returned, less faff trying to bring the Kerbal over to a pod by EVA and I can bulk-launch the grabber probes to do part recovery contracts too.

Edited by jimmymcgoochie

On 5/23/2022 at 3:14 PM, swjr-swis said:

Or.... and just throwing this out there... just bring all the pieces you find together to 'organically' grow your very first space station. A space station of lost and found spacecraft parts.

The Lost and Found Space Hotel. Come stay a night at our growing collection of quaint abandoned pods of mysteriously stranded kerbals.

<starts walking off talking to no one in particular>

Some say, when you're really quiet -and space is really, really quiet- you can still hear the screams for help of the former occupants when they first realized they were marooned in space.

<rubbing hands>

Yes... yes I can make this work. They'll be lining up for tickets! Muhahaha!

<stops and looks suspiciously over both shoulders, then scurries off>

Now this is an hilarious idea, now it would need some extra work but doable for the 80 km LKO recovery stuff. Has reused some of the larger modules. 
Obviously as you get to other planets the price of an hitchhiker module is way way higher and something you want to keep around :) 

On 5/23/2022 at 9:01 PM, jimmymcgoochie said:

Kerbal rescue contracts are the same as rover or satellite repair contracts- the crafts are yours to do whatever you like with afterwards. Keep them, bin them, recover them on Kerbin, it’s up to you.

I tend to do all those rescue missions by grabbing the pod and returning the whole thing to the surface- more funds returned, less faff trying to bring the Kerbal over to a pod by EVA and I can bulk-launch the grabber probes to do part recovery contracts too.

As in stealing the solar panels and wheels of rovers, not stealing RTG is an crime :) 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.