Duna Aerospace: A kerbal story

Rutabaga22

I am beginning a project called duna aerospace to improve my creative writing skills. Feedback is welcome and wanted!  I will be providing pictures in the replies and doing the missions in a real game, shaping the way that the story goes, but I am allowed to revert flight and quicksave.

Part 1: To space on hopes and dreams...

Val and Bob sat in the rows of seats surrounded by famous aerospace engineers. Bob thought to himself “We don’t deserve to be here just because of Antarctica.”

Val looked very excited as Alexander Kerman walked up the stairs to the pedestal and began his speech. “58 years ago John F. Kerman made his famous ‘We Choose to go to The Mun’ speech. Today I stand here to announce my new aerospace company, Duna Aerospace!”

The crowd cheered so loud that Bob felt his chest rumble. He fiddled his thumbs and looked around, he spotted Buzz Kerman in the crowd and then looked away as Buzz began to turn his head. Bob thought of Antarctica, was what he experienced there like what Buzz experienced on the Mun? He looked up as Alexander Kerman began talking again. “Today I choose to introduce our special guest and first astronaut, Jebediah Kerman!”

Jebediah waved and the crowd began to cheer “Jebediah, Jebediah, Jebediah!”

Jeb came to the mic and began “Please, call me jeb. I am lucky to be here today working on a beautiful project. You might know me for circumnavigating Kerbin at supersonic speeds, skydiving from outside the atmosphere with an inflatable heat shield, or for being buried alive with an oxygen tank and having a bomb blown up above me at the same time, but what I should be known for is my beautiful hair!” Jeb paused, then he chuckled and the crowd broke into wild laughter.

Val looked around to see what was happening as people wooed and cheered at a massive rocket in the distance. It rumbled, then it grumbled, the whole thing exploded, destroying the small vehicle assembly tent, and lighting a nearby tree on fire.

Bob was terrified as the shockwave shook him like a Kraken attack. He shot up out of his seat and ran off, screaming like a little girl the whole time. He saw Buzz Kerman looking at him and felt hot with embarrassment as he vaulted over a gate and flopped on his face. 

/     2 hours later         \

Bob had a terrible headache as he woke up in the massive parking lot of the small space center. He looked around and saw Val leaning on the edge of the fence around the stage. He got up and fell right back over. Val heard the thud and ran over. “What happened?” she asked.

Bob looked up and said “ I got scared… people act like I’m super brave because of what happened in Antarctica, but really I get scared so much, I might as well be a rabbit!”

“ You're fine, I just got an email asking me to be an aircraft test pilot for Duna aerospace!” Val said. Excitedly, picking up Bob while saying it.

“ That’s Great!, they probably don’t want someone who freaks out at the slightest rumble from an aircraft like me.” Jeb said sadly.

“ You might want to check your phone.” Val hinted.

Bob got up and brushed off his scraped up suit and checked his phone and saw a notification for an email from Duna Aerospace. He opens it. “ Dear Bob, We request that you join our research and science team as an astronaut. You will be working as the second to our current astrophysics researcher, Wernher Von Kerman. Antarctica was tough, this will be tougher. You will be challenged in ways you couldn’t even imagine, be ready. We hope you accept my request to leave your current job at the Kerbal International Science center and join us. Sincerely, Alexander Z. Kerman.”

Edited by Rutabaga22

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.