Live streaming "Space race" competitions - interest check

jimutt

Hi there,

I've been playing KSP quite much now and I've spent many hours reading the forums (though I haven't been posting much myself). There are several people who have been requesting a multiplayer feature for competitive and cooperative gameplay.

I do agree about that it would be awesome. But as I'm working a bit with programming myself I do also understand that it would be very demanding to include a function like that in the game. And I also believe that some parts of KSP maybe wouldn't work that good in Multiplayer.

Though I would really like to see more competitive gameplay. Sure there are these "challenges" threads, and that's great. But for me it feels like it's not really enough. Therefore I want to present an idea of mine for you to see if anyone would be interested in this.

My idea is to first of all set up a "challenge". This could be anything, like making a successful mun landing for example. This may sound like the normal "challenge" stuff. But my idea is to make the participants live-stream their games to a website (which I will set up if enough people are interested). This means that you, in real time, can watch people competing in KSP and see the differences of how they build and fly their spacecrafts to complete the challenge.

I'm sure there will be questions about the very long time which will be needed to complete a challenge in real-time. And I do understand that many people can't play in real time as most of us have lives away from KSP as well. Though I think there is a solution to this problem as well. In the game the "flight time" are displayed in the top left corner of the screen. I think you could use this timer to decide a "time speed" for the challenge. Here's an example: For each real time hour you are allowed to play 5 mission hours in the game.

With this system the competitors will be able to do their everyday-life tasks as well as the challenge. And the competitors will still keep up at quite similar speed so that the spectators will still find it interesting to watch. Now I guess some of you will ask "but if I'm live streaming the game, how will I then be able to use my computer for other tasks?". The answer to that is that you don't need to live stream 24/7. Just stream when you're playing and if possible when you're not at the computer at all.

This is just the basic idea of what I've been thinking of. Before deciding anything more I want to know if this is something you guys would find entertaining.

And when it comes to time speeds and such I've not decided anything at all. What I wrote above was just some thoughts and ideas.

The live streaming will by the way not be very hard to set up and it will be free as well. I think one of the best solutions will be to use ustream.tv's streaming service which I will then embed on the website dedicated to this project. And I will also fix a tutorial for how to setup the streaming.

I'm by the way working some with web development on my freetime for getting an extra income so I don't think there'll be any problems setting up a website for this purpose.

Please excuse my not-very-good English. I'm not 12 years old, English just isn't my native language ;)

Looking forward to hear your thoughts about this!

//Jimmy U

Edited by jimutt

Looks like I got some respone quicker than I thought :)

Well I'm very glad at least some of you are interested!

I think I will begin to work with this to get a working "foundation" to continue from. :)

Now, to keep it going, what would be the challenge? :P

This is where I would like to get some help from you guys. What challenges would you like to see?

I'm thinking that maybe it would be nice to add some mods to some challenges for making it more difficult. Because if you for example add an electricity plugin more planning will be needed even for a short mission.

Why not allow unlimited time accel, but have the contests decided by actual mission time? That way a stream of say 8 people doing a mun race might only take 20 minutes, but the scores are decided by the actual mission time in KSP.

Edit:

I would GLADLY participate.

Why not allow unlimited time accel, but have the contests decided by actual mission time? That way a stream of say 8 people doing a mun race might only take 20 minutes, but the scores are decided by the actual mission time in KSP.

That's a great idea! I guess you could adapt the rules based on what the actual mission is.

I've by the way put together a basic layout for the website now and I will begin to add some more content to it when I'm a bit less busy.

I'll try to get the website up and running as quickly as possible.

I'd like to watch the live streams, as for the challenge I've got an idea. To build a mun settlement, like the mars one project (or hoax, not sure) : http://mars-one.com/en/

hoax or not, seems like a cool idea to put x amount of kerbals on the mun and have a settlement providing them of living space/energy, some rovers and such. maby put some satelites between kerbin and mun for HD streaming for pay per view for all kerbals still at home :D And do all this in a limited time frame (ingame time)

I would definently participate in some challenges, though I haven't done i before, what would I need to live-stream?

You will basically need two programs. First a software which will act like a webcam but it's instead showing your computer display. And then you'll need the Adobe flash media live encoder to stream the video.

But I will put up a tutorial for how to fix this later so that anyone with just basic computer knowledge can set up a live stream and then participate in the events. :) And it'll all be free

Edited by jimutt

Right now I'm using a temporary place on one of my own websites for the project website. But I'll get an other domain later.

I was thinking of a quite simple layout inspired by the KSP website: http://sitefix.se/ksp/

I haven't got permission to use the header picture yet but I hope the user who took the picture will soon answer my message.

All text including the menu links are just temporary. By the end of the following week I'm hoping to have a working account system so that people can comment on the streams as well as sign up for the competitions.

I'd like to watch the live streams, as for the challenge I've got an idea. To build a mun settlement, like the mars one project (or hoax, not sure) : http://mars-one.com/en/

hoax or not, seems like a cool idea to put x amount of kerbals on the mun and have a settlement providing them of living space/energy, some rovers and such. maby put some satelites between kerbin and mun for HD streaming for pay per view for all kerbals still at home :D And do all this in a limited time frame (ingame time)

Not a hoax. I saw it on TV. I doubt it will happen though

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.