Unpopular KSP opinions!

Rutabaga22

Nah, just need to time it right.

For me it's that Moho is the most fun planet to visit. Once you set up a permanent presence there, it's really fun. Slow rotation means easy and often transfers between ground and orbit, lots of sunlight means no running out of juice for long periods of time, and even the terrain is relatively interesting. And you get a transfer window every couple of days. 

1 minute ago, Bej Kerman said:

The KSP 2 Team is a collective ________ for not telling Felipe that they were working on a KSP 2 sequel

Let me fill in the blank for you.

Criminal mastermind

Just now, Catto said:
2 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

The KSP 2 Team is a collective ________ for not telling Felipe that they were working on a KSP 2 sequel

Let me fill in the blank for you.

Criminal mastermind

Well I was thinking of one far worse word, but, you tried I guess.

Rather than a gentle gravity turn where you are thrusting prograde and using throttle to adjust trajectory, I prefer to have 1.8+ TWR and aerodynamic control surfaces to aggressively accelerate off the launchpad and fly with an angle of attack to aim for 45° and 1000+ m/s speed by 25,000 altitude. I want to get the heck out of the atmosphere so that when I drop my first stage, I'm at 40,000 m altitude and don't have to worry about the aerodynamic stability of the middle and upper stages.

53 minutes ago, Aerodynamic Kerbal said:

Enhanced Edition is [Insert bad word here]. It could be better just  by getting magical lag reduce and of course, 1.11 and 1.12.

1.11 perhaps, if you manage to trimm down the memory consuption. Consoles have a way constricted running environment.

1.12 definitively not - and I think it's reasonable to assume the Console update is being delayed by the crapness 1.12 released upon us.

19 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Minmus made the Mun useless.

Completely agree. I always thought the Mun was far more interesting than Minmus, but people always pass it over now because of minmus’s low gravity, which is pretty much the only thing Minmus has going for it.

On 5/30/2022 at 12:35 PM, Xavven said:

Rather than a gentle gravity turn where you are thrusting prograde and using throttle to adjust trajectory, I prefer to have 1.8+ TWR and aerodynamic control surfaces to aggressively accelerate off the launchpad and fly with an angle of attack to aim for 45° and 1000+ m/s speed by 25,000 altitude. I want to get the heck out of the atmosphere so that when I drop my first stage, I'm at 40,000 m altitude and don't have to worry about the aerodynamic stability of the middle and upper stages.

Never seen someone describe my ascent better

On 5/28/2022 at 4:37 PM, Rutabaga22 said:

Mine is that getting to minmus is harder to get to the Mun! I hate minmus missions because of the inclination change, it's really annoying to get an encounter with it.

Definitely agreed.

Here's mine:

Clipping fuel tanks is not cheating

On 5/30/2022 at 7:35 PM, Xavven said:

YES, THIS

My unpopular opinion: MechJeb is overrated. Occasionally I use its CoM / CoL indicators to troubleshoot an airplane that decides to stop being an airplane but that's about it.

As to going to Minmus: getting an encounter with Minmus is easy if your initial LKO orbit is in the same orbital plane as Minmus' orbit. The easy way to reach such an orbit is to launch into equatorial LKO, select Minmus as the target and burn anti-normal at the ascending node (or normal at the descending node) until the inclination of your orbit with respect to Minmus' is zero. After that, planning your trans-Minmus trajectory works exactly the same as planning a trans-Munar trajectory.

Some content has been removed.

Feel free to share your "unpopular" opinion about the game, folks.  But dissing on how your fellow forum members prefer to enjoy the game,  or implying that how they like to play is somehow inferior to your own, is seriously not cool.

Being rude and disrespectful is certainly unpopular, but it's not appropriate here, so just don't go there, please.

Thank you for your understanding.

Sometime spending more DV  for precision can save DV in return. It's like you don't always burn at the point where the least DV is needed; instead you burn where DV is a bit bigger so it's easier to burn more precisely. (I go for semi-realism when playing with the stock system; I tell myself that normal vacuum engines shouldn't work at 20% throttle.)

1 hour ago, Watermel00n said:

Rapiers are a waste of science in a late career game when you are supposed to use them, but it is actually not very worth it as you could just stuff them on a SSRT and  get the same effect. SSTO spaceplanes are clunky and difficult to use.

Agreed. The only mission where Rapiers are actually useful is a Laythe landing. Everywhere else the Rapier is just so much dead weight. SSTOs are cool and challenging to build but they are by no means practical.

You don't need a perfect relay satellite constellation over every world in the game. You don't even need 100% (or even 75%) coverage. Completing a few satellite contracts with relay satellites is more than enough coverage, provided your probes can always at least aim prograde and retrograde without control.

Minmus is easy! Set as target(or look where the ascending and descending nodes would be in relation to you if you don't have tracking or whatever the node upgrade is called), set your camera so that the nodes are north and south on your screen, next wait for Minmus to be a little past 3 o clock and burn prograde at the 'south' node so your orbits goes 'north'. Your apoapsis should up at at the north node with minmus right there as well.

Anyways, mine is always forgetting half the stuff my rocket needs. :joy:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.