Unpopular KSP opinions!

Rutabaga22

Unpopular opinion?

Apart from transfer windows, the internal game clock is pointless.  And if you aren't playing with life support mods, there is zero penalty for launching whenever and then time warping to the next window.

Edited by Scarecrow71

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I like the MEM because it has an integrated fuel tank and just placing a reaction wheel, Jr docking port, and a Spark engine is all that's needed for an ascent stage. Or backup plan in the event you  realize that you need some extra Delta-V.

First time I managed to land without cheating was with an Apollo-style configuration with a  Voskhod-style command module and MEM for the lander. I could have docked it a second time, but you could always just EVA to the mothership like what I did.

Edited by Richmountain112

Using autopilot isn't cheating, there is literally no good argument against AP.

"But NASA has to program their AP" yea they are also lifelong career rocket scientists, sit down & let people play.

On 6/6/2022 at 4:54 AM, Superfluous J said:

You don't need a perfect relay satellite constellation over every world in the game. You don't even need 100% (or even 75%) coverage. Completing a few satellite contracts with relay satellites is more than enough coverage, provided your probes can always at least aim prograde and retrograde without control.

Agreed, I use RemoteTech & simply put 3 sats spaced in GSO with the 2.5m omni & then whatever the strongest dish is I have at the time & leave the target set to active vessel. When I research a bigger dish I'll launch 3 new ones & deorbit the old ones.

The 3 sats are always in contact with each other from KSC with the omni & allow LKO ops & the dish on each set to active vessel pretty much guarantees 100% universe coverage except for brief times planets may block signal.

Also if I'm doing ground ops on a body other than Kerbin I can normally send a small relay with the original launch to release in a high eccentric orbit over said body to provide comms during operations.

Edited by IllicitMedic

On 7/28/2022 at 8:53 PM, Souper said:

Also, unmanned should have come before manned in the tech tree, the tech tree needs to be bigger to make it last longer, the contracts system is too restrictive for the core progression contracts, and strategies are useless.

And regarding this guy, I think probes are redundant unless it's a one-way mission. And yes, sometimes the Contract system is a bit restrictive. I find a rendezvous around Minmus redundant because a Direct Ascent mission does the job just as well and there's no need to do a clunky rendezvous with one. Plus, I have no idea why Duna contracts aren't spawning, even after going there at least once. Sometimes I do find the Tech Tree Overpowered and too easy because of the Mobile Science Lab.

3 minutes ago, Stranded Lander said:

I like doing missions hollywood-style.

What does that mean? If you mean you use normal chemical engines then that's what every non-ion interplanetary mission ever has done.

Edited by Rutabaga22

I like blowing stuff up, and KSP2 should give a bit of thought to those audiences. One of KSP's main features is that you can build anything you want and have it simulated. Well, I find it very fun and interesting to build and optimize for the best warplane, to iterate and re-iterate, to find out what is good and bad with my design (especially with FAR).

• 4 months later...

I've been holding this in, but here goes:

How to make KSP2:

1. Take KSP1, unwrap and discard the packaging so they'll never know (they're gonna know).
  2. Stir in 2 cups of the most popular mods.
  3. Remodel the Kerbals to look like  mildly unholy abominations.
  4. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 mins.
  5. Remove after 15 mins and place on a rack to cool for 3+ years.
  6. Upload to Steam.
  7. ???
  8. Profit!
Edited by tg626

The problem with Dres is not that it’s a boring planet(oid) but that it’s so out of the way: too far out to effectively use solar power but too little there to justify expensive RTGs, an inclined orbit beyond Duna that makes it a more difficult to visit and a relatively low reward for doing so…

If it was a moon of Jool or maybe Eve, or had a moon of its own like Gilly or Pol then it would be much more interesting e.g. in the Snarkiverse mod where Dres is moved to a pseudo orbit of Kerbin with Minmus orbiting it so it’s much easier to get to and can have some great views of Kerbin, the Mun and Minmus all in the sky at the same time.

I look forward to seeing how KSP2 Dres has been improved and am also hoping that it becomes an important mining/resource outpost to produce rare materials needed for interstellar flight in future updates.

• 1 month later...
On 2/27/2023 at 9:54 AM, AtomicTech said:

KSP 2 is better than KSP 1 during this phase of early access!

Hide contents

Not my actual opinion, it's actually the opposite, but I believe there are a few among us who hold that idea.

qh57e9j.jpg
Just had to do it, sorry

(I read the spoiler message btw)

Anyways, getting back on topic, I think Duna is pretty boring and overrated. Almost the entire surface is one color, and the terrain is very homogeneous in most places (just endless rolling hills). There are a few areas, such as the large canyon surrounding the Midland Sea, that are pretty interesting, though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.