Best way to add tens of thousands of configs to the game in a mod?

I have a script that will generate a Kerbal Konstructs runway config file for Real Solar System based on open source GIS data. Currently I'm just bringing in a few hundred sites which seems to be no problem, but I'm considering importing all like 50,000 airports in the world (with multiple runways, where data is available.  This could mean over 100,000 -200,000 config files the way I have it organized.

Is there a good/bad way to deal with large numbers of files, and folders? Is it better to combine more into each file?

Currently I'm creating a folder for each airport with a couple of related config files inside. Is there any efficiency to be gained by not breaking things out this way?

EDIT: Should mention this mod is ONLY configs, no models or anything, so file sizes are all very small.

Edited by Nightside

On 5/31/2022 at 2:29 PM, Nightside said:

Currently I'm creating a folder for each airport with a couple of related config files inside. Is there any efficiency to be gained by not breaking things out this way?

No.

But, being that everyting gets loaded into RAM at start up and the more you add, both the longer the load up time and the less spare ram for actual game play, I wouldn't be creating so many. KSP people have all different sizes of computer and most would have their game play ruined if they tried to use your mod with that much in it.

11 hours ago, ColdJ said:

No.

But, being that everyting gets loaded into RAM at start up and the more you add, both the longer the load up time and the less spare ram for actual game play, I wouldn't be creating so many. KSP people have all different sizes of computer and most would have their game play ruined if they tried to use your mod with that much in it.

Haha, thanks. In the spirit of *kerballing* around and finding out, I’m going to try it anyway :P.

Actual Sites currently adds 600 airports (just runways) with no noticeable performance issues, now that I have data for 30,000 real runways, I just have to try. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.